Don't know password for log in screen

Discussion in 'macOS' started by imac abuser, May 29, 2005.

1. imac abuser macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

HI, I got an iMac from a coworker for my desk at work (company imac) older one and the dude didnt give me the passwords to log in and isnt here today. Any fail safe or anything to get around them?

Thanks

osX is whats being used

2. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

If you have the installation discs, you can reboot from that and reinstall the OS. Other than that, you'll need to wait. Good luck.

3. confirmed macrumors regular

confirmed

if i remember correctly, you actually don't need to reinstall the OS, but instead can boot off an install disk, and select a Reset System Password option from somewhere in the menubar.. may be under a Tools menu, can't remember exactly. that'll let you keep the user account active, but simply reset the password.

good luck

4. imac abuser thread starter macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

I found this on apple.com

Resetting a user's password - Mac OS X 10.2 through 10.2.8
    Use Accounts preferences to reset an account password.

Log in with an administrator account. Tip: If you don't know the password of any administrator accounts, see "Resetting the original administrator account password" below.

From the Apple menu choose System Preferences.

From the View menu choose Accounts.

Click the lock button if it appears locked.

Select the username whose password you want to change.

Click Edit User.

Navigate to the New Password field.

Enter a new password in both the Password and Verify fields.

Click OK.

If a dialog box appears with the message "Your Keychain password will be changed to your new account password," click OK.

Important: Passwords for administrator accounts should not be blank.

Regardless of how many characters are actually in a Mac OS X 10.2 password, seven bullet characters (•••••••) will appear in the New Password and Verify fields the next time the password is edited.

Resetting a user's password - Mac OS X 10.1.5 or earlier

Use Users preference pane to reset a user's password.

Log in with an administrator account. Tip: If you don't know the password of any administrator accounts, see "Resetting the original administrator account password" below.

From the Apple menu choose System Preferences.

From the View menu choose Users.

Click the lock button if it appears locked.

Select the username whose password you wish to change.

Click Edit User.

Enter a new password in both the Password and Verify fields.

Click Save.

Important: Passwords for administrator accounts should not be blank.

Regardless of how many characters are actually in the password, thirteen bullet characters (•••••••••••••) will appear in the Password and Verify fields the next time the password is edited.

Resetting the original administrator account password

Follow these steps to reset a password when there is only one administrator account on the computer, or if the original administrator account (of several) needs a password reset. "Original" administrator account refers to the one that was created immediately after installing Mac OS X. If the original administrator password is known, the original administrator user may reset the passwords of other administrator accounts using the steps described above.

Start up from a Mac OS X Install CD (one whose version is closest the the version of Mac OS X installed). You should first disable Open Firmware password protection, if it is enabled. Hold the C key as the computer starts.

Choose Reset Password from the Installer menu (or Utilities menu in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger). Tip: If you don't see this menu or menu choice, you're probably not started from the CD yet.

Select your Mac OS X hard disk volume.

Set the selected user to the name of your original administrator account. Note: Be sure to select your administrator account name. Do not select "System Administrator". System Administrator is actually a reference to the root user. Do not confuse it with a normal administrator account.

Enter a new password.

Click Save.

5. dav macrumors 6502

If you type the wrong password about 5 times it will ask you for the master password so you can reset it

6. imac abuser thread starter macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

that's wierd because this one doesnt seem to do that..... I thought you would get the hint thing or something but it doesnt come up this is version os x 10.1 i think

7. Zachariah macrumors member

imac abuser,

I really hope there's not a simple way to bypass the password

8. imac abuser thread starter macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

9. Zachariah macrumors member

isn't that the whole point of password security?

10. imac abuser thread starter macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

yes, and no lol I'm doing this for legit reasons I didnt rip a computer and trying to crack it lol hehe

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Where do you work where you need an iMac? You sound like you're 14.

Also, I wish Apple made these things more secure. I mean, if all it takes is for me to insert an installation disk and reinstall the OS. :mad:

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

FYI, there's no password resetting facility on the installers for 10.1. You will have to wait for an admin to create a new account for you.