Don't mix your DDR RAM!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Psychic Shopper, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Psychic Shopper macrumors member

Like mixing beer and wine, different brands of ddr memory in the same G5 Mac can cause your computer to hose up. Ok bad metaphor, I usually just got sick from mixing drinks, but two different brands of DDR ram in my new G5 caused problems. I fixed the problem by getting rid of the Hynix ram provided by Apple.

2. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

were all your RAM sticks of the same parity & latency?

3. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Thanks for the tip. Memory is so confusing because you can't just buy a speed rating. Prices vary so much along with the quality. I was hoping to add another 2 GB to my 1 GB Mac. It will probably be better if I just get 4 GB because the quality and brand and technical specs will be different if I wait a year later. I don't even know how I can sell my existing 4 256 MB G5 memory sticks because most buyers are probably confused about memory as much as me. Some of the memory is from Apple and some of it from CompUSA.

4. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

It's more like, don't mix good RAM w/ cheap ass "lowest price you can get a stick of" RAM. Never had a problem w/ Crucial RAM added to Apple systems.

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

Indeed. Though there's always the potential for problems with flaky RAM or weird interactions, I've got a pile of Crucial memory along with the stock Apple stuff in my G5 and it's quite happy. I've never seen problems with Crucial in other systems, either, regardless of what it was mixed with.

If the quality is good, you'll generally be fine. (And I might add Apple usually uses pretty good stuff--nothing wrong with Hynix, you just don't see their name much because they're a manufacturer instead of a reseller, though I usually see Samsung chips from Apple).

6. Psychic Shopper thread starter macrumors member

I bought two sticks of simple tech ram, each 256. They did not work with the apple installed ram-Hynix, I believe. I took out the Apple installed ram, and everything works fine.

7. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

This is an old post, but I thought I'd mention that I just suffered the same problem when trying to add 1GB of Crucial memory to the Apple RAM in my PM. I choose to use the Crucial memory only. :rolleyes: