Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Oct 15, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  2. macrumors 6502a

May 6, 2004
    For a guy that claims he's smart, Larry Bodine is an idiot.
    I shouldn't have to point out that you can do stuff like saving a print set from the print dialog, three keys to take a snapshot of the desktop, or any of the silliness that he claims he had to download third party utilities to accomplish.

If he has his websites optimized for IE and expects the rest of the world to be able to make use of all the ActiveX crap, he's an idiot too. :rolleyes:
  3. macrumors 6502

Sep 4, 2006
    It's not a house, it's a home.

He'll have fun with that HP or Dell, let me tell you.
  4. macrumors 68000

Feb 17, 2006
    Keele, United Kingdom
    HP arn't that bad. I've had 0 problems with mine (thats the hardware, the Windows bit, well, you don't wanna know... HPs are built solidly, its just a shame they run Windows). Dell on the other hand...

Oh dear.
  5. macrumors newbie

Jul 16, 2002
    Houston, TX

This guy is really not intelligent at all. He couldn't figure out how to plug his 2 button mouse into the keyboard?

Safari doesnt' work with Flash? News to me, since I was just on 2 different flash sites.

Wow, possibly the most idiotic "tech" article I've ever read.
  6. macrumors G4

Nov 3, 2005
    He is an idiot, he thinks iCal and Mail require .Mac, and clearly with the beachballing hasn't added a decent amount of RAM to the G5 :rolleyes:.
  7. macrumors 604

Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    Taking screen shots requires software? That's news to me.

The whole thing was a load of tripe. :rolleyes:
  8. macrumors 6502a

Sep 5, 2006
    Seriously, nobody should read this crud. It is full of factually wrong assertations and errors.
  9. macrumors regular

Oct 14, 2004
    Kim Commando

Reminds me of the Kim Commando review of the G4 iMac where she complained about being forced to use Netscape to browse the internet, when of course the G4 iMacs never came with Netscape, and in fact shipped with IE and Safari preinstalled. She made several other complaints about the G4 iMac which were items that were only true under OS 9, making it obvious that she wrote her review without ever actually using the iMac.

Sounds like this guy is just as clueless and is just complaining that Macs don't work just like Windows.
  10. macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2006
    Boston, MA
    ARGH! I hate this crap. I want to e-mail the guy and tell him how big of an idiot he is, but I know it won't help anything but my conscience. Oi.
  11. Lau

I think the author's just a bit thick, bless him.

However, it does raise the point that people like him perhaps shouldn't use a Mac, because he obviously isn't very good at learning new things. The way Windows does screenshots and printing isn't any more intuitive, he's just used to it. But if he (and other people who can't learn new things very easily) has learnt that way, he'll find it easier. Fine. Shame people like that are allowed to write biased articles pretending to be the truth though.

I suspect some of the other stuff like needing a .mac account and not being able to figure out Word came from getting frustrated by some of the different stuff, and then not looking into things properly, really.

Oh, and I had a lot of problems with Safari and Flash — not every time, but more so than in other browsers like Camino.
  12. SMM
    macrumors 65816

Sep 22, 2006
    Tiger Mountain - WA State
    My email to him

You say, "I'm smart..". What a laugh. I find it incredible anyone would allow you to write about technology. You know zip about it. Your article is raising a million laughs right now amongst the readers of several dozen websites. Unfortunately, your name is not being bandied about with respect, but instead with laughter. Maybe some site will have an annual Bodine Award for the dumbest post? Just because you cannot figure something out on the first try should not cause you to throw a temper tantrum. I bet your mother used to coddle you and say, "it's OK, pumpkin. Don't cry. Those Legos are just as mean as the Tinker Toys were.
  13. macrumors newbie

Oct 15, 2006
    He Should Be thrown In Fined!

I'm pretty sure that, from the looks of the picture posted here, that this man might be breaking a law. Unless it's a special pickup by his local garbage service, I don't believe that you can dispose of a computer this way due to it's hazardous nature.:p
  14. macrumors regular

May 7, 2003
  15. macrumors 68000

Dec 9, 2001
    State of Denial
    It can't be real. It's not possible to lift a G5 one-handed without it digging into one's flesh.

Good lord this guy is an idiot. Can't read Flash? Neither can IE out of the box. Need software for a screencap? cmnd-shift-3, to say nothing of cmnd-shift-4, which is often more useful. Sadly, lawyers like this often become politicians.
  16. macrumors 68000

Jul 1, 2004

There are so many things wrong with this article it is hard to find a place to start. I love when people dislike the one button mouse and don't even bother to find out if they can buy a $5 usb mouse with two buttons. I think my favorite part was that Safari can't view Flash. And how did he spend $4500 on a dual 2.7ghz five months ago? if he is including an ACD, then he is a complete moron for not understanding that he can use that beautiful screen on his HP.
  17. macrumors 68000

May 15, 2005
    NG9, England
    He also seems to think that his Dual 2.7GHz will be lucky to raise half it's value in resale. When he lists and gets almost all his money back, perhaps he will complain a little less.

How about he also stuck with the stock 512MB RAM and that's why he saw his machine beachballing so much.
  18. macrumors 6502a

Jun 1, 2005
    Ottawa, Canada
    Mac G5: $4,552.71. Microsoft office: $399. Law school, $300,000.

Technology columninst not being able to figure out a mac: Priceless.

... the same guy saying he's 'smart': is somebody paying me to read this?
  19. macrumors 603

Jul 26, 2004
    Montreal, QC
    *cough* bunch of tubes. :D
  20. macrumors 68000

Apr 27, 2006
    in your pants
    That just goes to show that not everyone is ready for a Mac. If you're stubborn, don't like to try new things, and don't bother to research them before you bitch about 'em, then a Mac is definitely not for you.
  21. macrumors 6502

Jun 17, 2005
    I love that he bought an obsolete 2.7GHz G5, obviously used or refurb, in May of this year (and for $4500?? I hope that included a monitor!). The guy doesn't do anything that could ever remotely require a PowerMac; an iMac (Core Duo) would have been fine for him, cheaper and come with a 2-button mouse of its own (though he probably never would have figured out that you need to enable the second button in System Preferences), not to mention the ability to run his much loved Windows. But no doubt he just looked at the GHz and ended his research there; probably not even aware of the Intel switch.

Also, what's this about Alt+Print Screen? It doesn't do anything on any of my PCs...
  22. macrumors 68000

May 26, 2006
    Gainesville, FL
    alt-prt scrn (in some cases like my hp laptop, it is function-prt scrn) copies a screenshot to the clipboard. you have to paste it into something to save it.
  23. macrumors regular

May 2, 2002

As far as I can tell by visiting Larry's web site, he's not a lawyer at all; so why he's published on a law web site I have no idea.

The most delicious part is that he is a MARKETING SPEAKER. He teaches people how to market their products, services and business in general. I think the thing that gets me most is that he fell for marketing hype. I'm not saying the hype isn't correct, I love all my Macs, bust the idea that a person would purchase a businesses critical computer based solely on suggestion and not do ANY research or try the machine out in a store first is simply unfathomable to me.

Does he also purchase 10 tons of the snack foods that his junior high friends tell him are good? Does he drive the car his artists friends recommended, sight unseen?

This guy's actions were just plain stupid, his claim to be smart to the contrary.
  24. macrumors 603

Aug 2, 2002
    Cork, Ireland.
    Long post, but I had to respond:

A multi-button mouse with a scroll ball (better than a scroll wheel) is available was an option when you bought your Mac. If you wanted it, you should have chosen it.

False hits? I've never had one, nor heard of anyone else who has. Perhaps you don't realise Spotlight is very powerful, and searches not just filenames and content, but also metadata which can contain the "hit".

This is an application feature - if you want it you should request it from the application developer, Microsoft. (Personally, it's one I'd rather do without. I think file management isn't something my word processor should be taking on, or my games, or my calculator. Otherwise you're left in a situation where each app has a different menu option for deleting files, possibly in different menus, possibly with different keystrokes. Nightmare).

That's an application bug, you should contact the applications' developer, Microsoft in both cases. Incidentally, having formatting issues with two applications doesn't make two machines incompatible.

I can only assume this is a HP specific issue, as my (standard OSX) print dialog doesn't even have a "Paper Type/Quality" setting. I'd suggest you contact the printer developer, HP.

Command-Shift 3, or Command-Shift 4.

Wrong, and wrong.

Quite correct, Safari can't read Flash, it's the Adobe Flash plugin which does so, and it does quite well.

Interesting. Considering its market share is (percentage wise) the fastest growing out there, you'd have to wonder how quickly it would be growing if it were "first rate". :rolleyes:

Incidentally, your (apparently) beloved Internet Explorer is losing market share, hand over fist. Whether that's because people are switching to other browsers, or simply because their PCs have been obliterated by countless trojans, viruses and worms thanks to IE's myriad vulnerabilities, who knows?

Really? I called Microsoft, and they said they're improving IE for me right now. Even offered me a coffee and a head massage while I wait.

So, Netscape and Firefox, which are nearly identical to the PC equivalents, don't suit you. Safari, doesn't suit you. It sounds like the only thing which might suit you is... Internet Explorer, the world's worst browser.

Please. Pleaaaaaase don't make me laugh so hard again. My doctor says it'll be the end of me.

(Forgive the upper case, but it's necessary in this case). YOU OPTIMIZED ALL YOUR SITES FOR ONE BROWSER, AND NOW YOU'RE SURPRISED WHEN THEY DON'T WORK PROPERLY ON ANOTHER???????!?!!?!?!?!?!!?!?!

Dr. Whooleytoo says: I understand your pain and suffering. Perhaps if you, and other web site designers, stopped using all the browser specific features of IE, and thus creating the kinds of incompatibilities you're complaining about, you might just save yourself a lot of hassle.

You might even have time to take up a new hobby, like using Philips screws in every room in your house, then complaining in your blog that your stupid regular screwdriver is now incompatible.

I could tell you what hardware will fail unexpectedly, but then it would be expectedly, and thus nothing would fail unexpectedly. (Wow, that was deep.)

Hardware fails on every kind of machine, not just Macs. Macs tend to have better than average failure rates, as Apple don't use bargain basement components.

If it's so worthless, I'll buy it as a big paperweight. Sell it to me for a fiver?

Here's a deal: in spite of a considerable legal library at my disposal (several episodes of Matlock, some of which I've watched), I'm willing to promise never, ever to give legal advice to you if you promise never, ever, to give technical advice to me. Deal?
  25. macrumors member

Mar 22, 2003
    Here and there
    iChat and Mail

I've had people be confused about setting up Mail and iChat, because they thought that they needed a .Mac account -- The first dropdown in the account setup wizard is pre-selected at .Mac. That's confusing for people that don't know the real functionality of the programs. I really wish that Apple would stop trying to over-promote the service.