dont tell me apple has never used intel chips!

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by coeus, Apr 8, 2002.

1. coeus macrumors member

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

If you read the information, and can remember that far back, Apple was shipping the computers with a pc compatibility card. That was to allow people to run peecee software on their Mac's without any software emulation. I never used one, so I don't know how well, or poorly they worked, but it couldn't have been all that good considering how short lived the option was.

It's bad enough that some people need to use virtual peecee to use some software, but to have the hardware in there too *shudder*

3. yanny macrumors newbie

It not Intel

68LC040 is a cut down version of the Motorolla 68040 processor, the last one before the PowerPC chips.

4. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

This Mac did use a Wintel BUT it only used it to run Dos/Windows it did not run the MacOS. A seperate cpu was used to run MacOS. I know,I have two of these units.

5. yanny macrumors newbie

It's not Intel

One thing forgot to mention, the PC compatible card was not make by Apple.

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I remember these, what a travesty:(

What the hell was Apple thinking!

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: It not Intel

hence it is in the Macintosh LC series... ;)

8. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Re: Re: It not Intel

Not quite. THat only worked for the LC's with numbers above 600, IIRC. The Original LC, LC II, LC III, and some of the early ones with numbers (545, i think) hade '020 and '030 processors.

9. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Ha!

I remember using these things. They actually worked quite well.

The problem with them is they completely invalidated Apple's products. Think about it. By putting out PC compatible hardware they were basically admitting that PCs ran the world and that Macs weren't compatible enough with them on their own. Therefore you needed a PC along with your Mac.

It was a bg mistake from a marketing and product worth perspective. "Why not just buy a cheaper PC and save yourself the trouble?" That could've been their marketing slogan. I bet a lot of people were thinking it.

Matthew

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Re: dont tell me apple has never used intel chips!

If we're gonna split hairs, why not remember the 8800 (i think) chips inside the original Apple, which was Intel, i'm pretty sure...

that's the closest they've ever come to really using them. Yeah you could get PC compatability cards, but you still can, i think... OrangePC for instance...

*sigh*

pnw

11. PCUser macrumors regular

The Apple I used a MOS 6502, not an Intel 8088. Apple has never used an Intel chip as the central processor inside any of their computers.

12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: Re: Re: It not Intel

I should have been more specific....the "LC" in the processor #... ;)

13. oldMac macrumors 6502a

Spindler...

Yes. I remember the "DOS-compatible" Macs... I think that was under Spindler's reign. Spindler was an idiot.

They actually worked "okay". But printing over the network was a mess. They definitely had some issues.

Orange Micro (www.orangemicro.com) used to make 486 cards for Macs. I'm guessing that they were the company who actually provided the Apple-branded ones.

14. Doraemon macrumors 6502

I own one of those 630 DOS Compatibles. My PC CD-ROM driver disk stopped working after a while and therefore I lost my CD drive when running the PC mode. Anyway. The PC card was outdated within weeks. Therefore, it was not of much use.

BTW: The LC 630 is basically a Quadra 630. Therefore, the casing looks like a Quadra and not like a LC.

15. DannyZR2 macrumors 6502

iPod

he he.. i believe the iPod actually has dual StrongARM processors made by intel.. right?

16. stromie952 macrumors regular

Here is a site that outlines a couple of other Macs that had PC compatibility chips in them.

The Power Mac 7300 did have a Pentium 166 in it unlike the Power Mac 4400 which had a Cyrix processor. Interesting that you could switch on the fly in between the two operating systems and copy and paste in between the two.

Both machines still ran the 604e and the 603e chip for the MacOS respectively.

17. stromie952 macrumors regular

18. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Most of the pre-Mac line ('cept Lisa) used the MOS Technologies 6502 processor. The only computer not to feature it was the IIgs.

Apple hasn't used an Intel chip as it's main CPU, but all of the controllers for the PCI bus are by Intel, I believe.

68LC0x0 processors did not have a co-processor (FPU), to make the prices lower. So maybe LC stands for "Lacking Co-Processor".

19. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

my anti-pc gripes in the past have been more directed toward the "win" side of wintel, or windows-intel