Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

schmintan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2007
dont trust the apple sales reps. when i was enquiring about a refurbished mac book pro on the site, i was very interested, until i found out it had a matte screen. i was about to end the call, when the sales rep asked me to hold for one sec, and then came back saying he would get a glossy screen on it for me, thus securing the sale. i was also unsure about buying a refurbished product, but he assured me all signs of wear are removed and all parts with wear are replaced. got my macbook pro today and there is no glossy screen , and there are loads of scratches on it. im currently in discussions with apple about how to deal with this, but its rediculious what they will do for a sale. if he told me there might be some minor scratches or the screen wasnt glossy, i would happily have went on my way, but he had to make a sale and lied. thats rediclious, considering the amount of money i spent on this thing. i will reserve any more judgement until i see how they handle the suituation

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
I've never heard of something like this happening before (and I know plenty of people who have purchased refurb machines), so I think this sounds isolated.

However, I would raise appropriate amounts of hell to make sure you get what you paid for and what you were promised. Lying to make a sale is unacceptable.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Make sure they take care of your situation promptly and with proper apologies, but they're right: this is an isolated incident. I also doubt he actually lied to you straight out, he was probably told they could do it. If he did lie, of course, then I hope you have his name so that his superiors know who to fire, but it's likely he was just misinformed. And refurbished computers aren't supposed to be scratched, though I think that a few minor ones are usually considered acceptable. Definitely not typical.

jW

schmintan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2007
they offered me 75 euros and an apology to forget the incident, or 150 euro off a brand new mac book pro. the problem there is a new one, even with 150 off is way out of my price range. they are not budging off this either. they seem to know i cannot be without a pc at home for any longer ( been a week already and studys are suffering). they are being quite inhospitable about it. there is the exact spec on the refurb site today, with a glossy screen, exactly what i want, but they wont change my order for the glossy refurb. only for a new one which costs me a heap more. i have spent 4 hours on teh phone so far and no change in this decision. i dont know what to do now.

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
they offered me 75 euros and an apology to forget the incident, or 150 euro off a brand new mac book pro. the problem there is a new one, even with 150 off is way out of my price range. they are not budging off this either. they seem to know i cannot be without a pc at home for any longer ( been a week already and studys are suffering). they are being quite inhospitable about it. there is the exact spec on the refurb site today, with a glossy screen, exactly what i want, but they wont change my order for the glossy refurb. only for a new one which costs me a heap more. i have spent 4 hours on teh phone so far and no change in this decision. i dont know what to do now.

Can you return it and get the glossy one instead?

schmintan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2007
i can return it for a refund, but i cant afford a brand new glossy, and they wont promise me the same spec refurb with a glossy, even though there is at least one on the refurb site

schmintan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2007
is the glossy screen all that much better? i see mixed reports. even though, its the principle of the thing here. they are being very unreasonable in the face of their mistake

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
is the glossy screen all that much better? i see mixed reports. even though, its the principle of the thing here. they are being very unreasonable in the face of their mistake

I don't necessarily think the glossy screen is all that much better. It's a personal preference, really, and I prefer the matte screen.

Yes, they're being quite unreasonable. Do you happen to have any pics of the scratches? How bad are they?

schmintan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2007
il get some pics tonight. dont have a camera with me at work. they are not terrible, but again, i pushed the sales rep and told him i did not want a scratched computer, and he told me "ALL" sighs of wear and tear are removed and worn parts are replaced on refurbished machines

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
Did you not get any sort of invoice of what you'd ordered? There's no proving (or being compensated for) ordering one "without any scratches" (since that's just the luck of the draw ordering refurb), but surely you got something on paper stating that you wanted a glossy screen?

This would be your key to getting a new computer (new refurb, anyway) - they did not deliver what you paid for.

If you didn't get anything on paper, then good luck. The sad thing is that although YOU'RE being truthful, Apple cannot assume EVERYONE is honest. They have to assume that you are simply not happy with your order, and have had a change of heart... if they allowed everyone to swap machines for free, they'd end up with a headache on their hands.

I don't understand, however, why you cannot return the machine (minus the restocking fee) and order a new one. Also, the restocking fee CAN be waived, if you're persistant - I don't think I've ever paid a restocking fee, even when one has been written in the return policy.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.

Glossy or matte is very much personal preference. Glossy screens do have richer colours, certainly; but I personally never use them as the reflectiveness leads to glare and eye-strain.

If you ordered a product with a glossy screen and scratch-free, you have every right to expect to receive it. You could try holding out for a better offer, or just demand a full refund and try and buy another refurb in better condition. (if you trust them! ;) )

schmintan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2007
if i return it, i will be without a pc again, and as i was without one for over a week waiting for the apple, i cant really be without for much longer. i have work stuff ,and study i need to do from home. if its returned, then thats the end for me and apple

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
if i return it, i will be without a pc again, and as i was without one for over a week waiting for the apple, i cant really be without for much longer. i have work stuff ,and study i need to do from home. if its returned, then thats the end for me and apple

I understand your frustration and wouldn't necessarily fault you for never coming back to Apple, but implore you to realize that this experience is very out of the ordinary and very "UnApple."

If you're truly unhappy, I would return it for a full refund and maybe consider Apple again in the future once the sting wears off, but please don't consider this to be indicative of Apple in general.

schmintan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2007
how i feel about apple will depend on how they resolve the suituation. if they provide the product i actually ordered, then I will be satisfied, otherwise, its going to be something else like a thinkpad, and il be boycotting even their ipods, as much as i like them. i am a strong believer in voting with your feet and wtih your money. Because they say on the site that a machine may have minor cosmetic imperfections if its a refurb, i am willing to let that go, despite the lies the sales rep told me, however the screen has to be changed. dell were way more helpful the last time i dealt with them

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
how i feel about apple will depend on how they resolve the suituation. if they provide the product i actually ordered, then I will be satisfied, otherwise, its going to be something else like a thinkpad, and il be boycotting even their ipods, as much as i like them. i am a strong believer in voting with your feet and wtih your money.

And that's completely fair, I just wanted to make sure you were aware that your experience is way outside the norm. I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience.

schmintan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2007
quick question, how noisy is the cd/dvd drive on macbook pros? its quite noisy on mine when first loading a disk.

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
quick question, how noisy is the cd/dvd drive on macbook pros? its quite noisy on mine when first loading a disk.

That's normal. It shouldn't be too loud after that - just when loading and unloading. I have never had a slot-loading drive on a Mac that wasn't a bit noisy when loading/unloading.

Also, the drive on mine has gotten a little quieter as I've used it more, so it's probably a little louder now than it will end up being.

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
how i feel about apple will depend on how they resolve the suituation. if they provide the product i actually ordered, then I will be satisfied, otherwise, its going to be something else like a thinkpad, and il be boycotting even their ipods, as much as i like them. i am a strong believer in voting with your feet and wtih your money. Because they say on the site that a machine may have minor cosmetic imperfections if its a refurb, i am willing to let that go, despite the lies the sales rep told me, however the screen has to be changed. dell were way more helpful the last time i dealt with them

post a picture of the machine with its scratches and damage.

schmintan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2007
i will post an image of the scratches when i get home, however they are not the main issue, as i have saw on the apple site that you can expect a small amount of cosmetic damage on refurbished products. its the fact that the order is wrong and they wont replace for the order i actually placed, however the scratches might allow some people to know what to expect on refurbished products so i will post them

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo

If you cannot be without a PC at all, how do you expect Apple to do anything? Are you suggesting that they send you out another refurb without you sending in your current Mac? Because that will NEVER happen.

You have options:

1. Return it for a refund and order the refurb you want from the site.
2. Take the deal Apple offered.
3. Return it for a refund and buy something that is not Apple.

I am sorry you feel cheated, but like you said, hit them in the wallet. If you really feel like you have been cheated, then return it and take your business elsewhere.

If you cannot be without a computer, then order the other refurb (or order something else) now and send the one you currently have back after you receive your new one.

If you want one that is guaranteed to be in new condition, then buy a new one.

This seems to be the opposite of the people that get free "extras" out of their refurbs.

Again, I am sorry you are unhappy and this is the exact opposite of the refurb experience I have had with Apple. I have purchased several refurb Macs and iPods and they look and function as brand new (but I never got any extras).

I would treat this like any other product that did not meet my expectations, either new or refurb...I'd return it. Not a huge deal, just a bit of a pain.

schmintan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2007
you say order a 2nd one and return the 1st one when the 2nd one arrives??? how much money or credit do you think i have?

you say i expect extras??? i dont expect extras, i expect what i ordered.

i have dealt with companies in the past that will swap via courrier. that is what i would like happen. remember this is all happening because of them, why should i be put out?

you say if i want new, order a new one??? the sales rep PROMISED it in absolutely brand new condition. again, i asked this a lot of times and each time he said i had nothing to worry about.

it seems easy for you to order 2 macs and return one at your own whim, but it was a stretch for me to get this one because:

im on a very limited budget, maxed out by this purchase,
I work in microsoft and have never had a mac before,
I wanted to set my pc up so i could get back to work ( by installing vista along with macos) but now if the laptop has to go back, it will be a min of 1 week disruption and most likely longer.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
A general rule of thumb is to not believe any lowly sales person that says he can order such and such refurbished machine for you via his hook ups in da hood. Yes, he lied. But you believed him. I wouldn't buy a refurb machine unless it was sitting right in front of me (which one was a few years ago, and I bought it).

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I never said you expected extras. I never said you should not get what you ordered. I never said that Apple should not make it right.

However, they did offer you some money back for the problem, and you ALWAYS have the option of returning the product for a refund.

Did they lie to you? Yes.

Should it be made right? Yes.

But honestly, I don't know what the big deal is here. Even if Apple swaps the machine out for you, it is very unlikely you are going to be able to avoid not having a PC for at least a short period of time. It is highly unlikely that they will use a courier that you suggest. They have procedures and contracts for shipping things.

It sounds to me that you are mostly upset now because they won't swap it out for you and guarantee you no downtime, and what I am saying is that is an unreasonable expectation.

Why did you dismantle or sell your current PC before you had the new one anyway?

Again, I feel you were wronged and deserve some sort of compensation.

That being said, if you absolutley cannot afford downtime, take the 75 euros and be done with it. If you are maxed out financially, an extra 75 euros can't hurt, the matte screen vs. glossy does not affect functionality, and it will get minor scratches through daily use anyway.

If this is unacceptable to you return it and buy from someone else.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
I take it your previous machine kicked the bucket or was left behind (assuming you're in school)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.