Don't Try This At Home...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tjwett, Dec 20, 2003.

1. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

Earlier today I downloaded a few Softwate Updates for Panther and Restarted. Usually I like to fix permissions after important OS updates, etc. Problem is I stupidly inserted my Jaguar System Disk instead of my Panther one and proceeded to fix permissions with the Jaguar disk. BAD IDEA. I don't know the technical details of what happened but I'm assuming it started to Repair Permissions using the Jaguar file system or something. Whatever it did, it wacked my system out bad. I'm putting it all back together now, gonna be a long night. What an idiot I am. :rolleyes: Just a heads-up.

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Tnx for giving the info.
    I was wondering what the concequences were gonna be.... Now I'm definitely not gonna try it! :D

Kinda weird that the Jaguar CD disk util app doesn't recognize a non-Jag installed OS on a particular volume. Does the same thing happen to a 10.1 system?

3. tjwett thread starter macrumors 68000

tjwett

I thought that was strange also. Even the most basic apps out there can catch and warn you that there is an OS conflict. I don't know what would happen to a 10.1 system, I imagine it would be even more drastic since the system is that much more different. I can only speak for this one machine, which is an 867 12" PowerBook. Live and learn I guess:)

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

Well my Jaguar CD broke and has already been remixed into a carbon conglomeration. So that's one less thing I need to worry about.

Now if the permissions were changed incorrectly, couldn't you have only fixed the permissions with the Panther CD, or were there still null/misconfigured resources?