DON'T USE PayPal!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Macs R Us, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Macs R Us macrumors 6502

Here on My Mac(s) in my house in the USA!
    I wanted to share somthing with everyone I sold my iBook on eBay and the buyer Paid with PayPal, and after paying some bills with some of that, 8 hours later PayPal took the money back and now I'm in the RED. I did not know they can do that. I think I shall be more carful, as now I feel PayPal is not that safe as they claim. This is just to let you all know so you can be prepaired...

2. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

Sorry to hear that you got ripped off. Sadly, the PayPal chargeback issue is a known problem, and has been discussed on the forums previously.

Check this thread to see whether it offers any useful suggestions:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=87944

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Are you that the money they took isn't their commission?

Edit:
    Nevermind my post, you seemed to have given better info than I while I was posting.

4. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Perhaps you didn't send out the item and the payment was retracted...
    I've used paypal exclusively and have had zero problems with them, if your money was taken back there was probably a good reason. I'd contact paypal directly....

5. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

No, this is a known scam. I'm guessing that Macs R Us played everything by the book.

6. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

I just read about this about 30 min. ago at somethingawful.com
    (you will see strong language if you follow the link)
    All I can say is follow the advice given there.

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

you can yell and scream about how much paypal screwed you, but people won't listen until it happens to them. And increasingly, it does.

Sorry to hear you got scammed by them, good luck fighting it... if your credit card was involved anywhere in the mix, get them involved, because they're the only thing that seems to scare paypal.

i don't think paypal meant to create such a crappy service, but the system they devised is terribly easy for people to scam other people, and they don't give a rip about it.

Once the new check-cashing laws take effect, check clearing will be instant and with any luck it will usher in a whole new emoney system, where banks work together. I hope paypal sinks like a rock.

paul

8. JLS macrumors 6502

9. Macs R Us thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I know the take back prob and I can handle it but since I only had it for 8 hours I thoght it was fine, since it was not to long after (ie a few weeks) but yet ehoght to know that It was mine. PayPal said that the buyer used Unathurized Funds and they just took it from me, and that BS... I called them and they said that there was nothing they could do, and I would have to wait 4 weeks til I could resell it or get money... And I jus can't do that... Any Ideas, I have seen Paypalwarning.com and no help.

10. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I strictly use postal money orders on eBay. (Which I don't use often.) As it was explained to me when I was a buyer, they cost less than a dollar and you can mail them where you buy them. They are more difficult to forge than normal money orders, and they can only be bought with cash.

I probably lose some sales but I feel safer with them.

11. Macs R Us thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I did use Money Orders but I got neg for them not getting it in the mail... I use eBay and have about 100 transactions in a month so its hard to get MO's out...

12. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I've had good luck with Paypal so far (knock on wood right?). I've only had one negative incident and I believe it occurred because somebody got my password although I never figured it out. They took $2,000 or so out of my PayPal account which in turn took it out of my bank account as I don't keep money in Paypal typically... I contacted my bank and Paypal and it was cleared up fairly quickly and I got every cent back. I then cancelled the whole Paypal account and made a new one... still not sure how it happened (I know I never actively gave my password to anybody or responded to a "we need your password" paypal e-mail)... but although a little irritating everything worked out fine...

13. Macs R Us thread starter macrumors 6502

I too only keep shipping costs in PayPal, thats the problem... Now I'm in the red and my Bank Acount is for PayPal only and has $50 in there now I'm in the red in my Bank, PayPal, and CC... Big truble.

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I've never been too impressed with PayPal. Luckily, I might actually get a small something from them as I am part of the class action lawsuit which was filed against them. Even if I only get $6 from them I'll be happy. ;) :cool:

15. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Me too--I just sent my claim in today!

I just sold my Powerbook using Paypal/eBay for $2400...everything went smoothly.