Don't Vote Tuesday (Abstain)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Spymit007, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Spymit007 macrumors regular

Aug 25, 2004
    After giving it much thought, I have decided to abstain from the Presidential Election this year. I don't like either candidate and I'm not going to vote for the lesser evil as they say. I find it quite vexing that there are people out there who will vote for someone simply because they don't want the other guy to win. It was that kind of mentality that got Adolph Hitler elected into power.

I, for one, am not going to settle on either candidate. Both men are mediocre, uninspired, and have no clear vision for our country. Hopefully in 2008, some good candidates will emerge and I will once again be excited about politics again.

I can't be the only one who thinks this way. Who else is simply fed up with the way this election season has gone?
  2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    You act like there are only two people running for president. You know that there are others don't you?

I find it a disturbing that the media mainly focuses on two groups; why I don't know.
  3. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    Well Spymit, I do not agree with your logic. Still, you are entitled to do what you like...but I implore you to vote for someone. As noted, there are more than two candidates running, so perhaps vote for Nader or Cobb or write-in who'd you like.

Not voting is pretty stupid. BTW, If you insist on using marginally relevant and polemic examples like Hitler, than I would comment that attitudes like yours were also to blame (the inaction of good people).

What was the point of this thread exactly anyway?
  4. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    Just do us a favor. If you don't vote, don't complain about anything political that happens over the next four years, ok?

Besides, you can always vote for a 3rd party candidate. In addition, there are many local and state races that should deserve your attention. My vote on president was only one of about 20 different votes I cast. (I voted absentee already.)
  5. LeeTom macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    I feel like anyone that doesn't see the importance of their vote this time has had their head in the sand. There are so many important issues that differentiate the two main candidates for president, let alone all of them.

Here's a big one that I'm surprised most people don't think about:
    2-3 Supreme Court seats could open in the next 4 years.
    MANY major decisions have been decided 5-4.
    These judges sit on the court until they die, which can affect a GENERATION of Americans, if not more.
    One candidate has proposed some of the most conservative judges.
    One candidate will use Roe V Wade as a test.

Where do you stand?
    This is huge.
    Lee Tom
  6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2002
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
    Hitler never won any election.
  7. tristan macrumors 6502a

Jul 19, 2003
    high-rise in beautiful bethesda
    Democracy is a compromise. Deal with it. Also, if you don't like your party nominees, pay attention to the party primaries and give your favorite a little $$$ early to give him a boost. (Assuming you can't take a month off and go volunteer in NH or Iowa.)
  8. wowser macrumors 6502a

Jan 25, 2004
    Inglaterra, Europa
    "I'm Ralph Nader, and I approve this message"
  9. Spymit007 thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 25, 2004

Yes he did. August 19, 1934 - Hitler is elected the Fuhrer and receives 95.7% of the vote in Germany.

Sorry I didn't make it clear that I do plan to go out and vote. There are many contested state senate, state rep. and sheriff races in my district, (some of them which I have volunteered for during their campaigns) which I intend on voting on.

My original intention in starting this thread was not to just rant on the mediocrity of both candidates. I realize that there are other candidates besides the two main ones.

People keep talking about how this election is the most important election ever. Well they say that for every Presidential election. No matter who wins tomorrow, there still will be another election in 2008. No matter who wins tomorrow, it won't be the end of the world. Both candidates want the same thing for America. Their approach may differ but both men I believe have the best of intentions. That is why whoever wins tomorrow, I'll be fine with.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is if at this point, you're still undecided, it's unlikely you'll make an informed decision tomorrow. And making an uninformed decision at the polls goes against everything that Thomas Jefferson stood for when he envisioned the American Republic. Nobody should force you to vote for the sake of voting.
  10. superninjagoat macrumors 6502

Apr 23, 2004
    Apex, N.C
    The lesser of two evils is still less evil.
  11. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

Jan 7, 2002
    2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    absolutely false.

it is your right not to vote though i personally think it shows a high disregard for the spirit of our country and the sacrifices of it's founders.
  12. Spymit007 thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 25, 2004
    So Kerry and Bush don't want a prosperous nation? They don't want Amercians to be happy? As far as I know, both want these things for all of us.

I think it would be worse to make an uninformed decision than it would be to abstain from voting. I don't think Thomas Jefferson would have wanted us to vote for candidates that we didn't like. Maybe tomorrow while I'm in my booth, I will vote for a write-in candidate. But I definitely will not vote for Bush or Kerry.
  13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    You know what the road to hell is paved with, right? ;)

14. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    um where did you get that from ? i wasn't able to find more infos on your election of the 19. august
    on the 2. august he already was "Reichspräsident" because Hindenburg died so why make another election ?
  15. sebisworld macrumors 6502

Jun 24, 2003
    "The Nazis never won an electoral majority on their own, but Hitler was appointed Chancellor of a coalition government by President Paul von Hindenburg in January 1933. His coalition partners were various other right-wing parties, and his vice-chancellor was the conservative Franz von Papen. On February 27, 1933, the Reichstag building caught fire. [...] Furthermore, Hitler convinced the aging President Paul von Hindenburg to sign the Reichstag Fire Decree, abolishing most of the human rights provided for by the 1919 constitution of the Weimar Republic.

New elections were called soon thereafter, and, with the help of S.A. strong arming, the Nazis and their right-wing allies gained a majority. They used this majority to pass the Enabling Act, which gave Hitler the right to rule by decree and suspended many civil liberties."

And now go out and vote, please.
  16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Since the 60's we have been evolving as a nation politically. And maybe that is why each election becomes more important than the one it preceded.

I can understand the feelings about not going to the polls. I live in Virginia, a state that the DNC feels will go to Bush because of the poll data. As a Kerry supporter, why should I even bother voting then? Particularly since we are left with the outdated Electoral College system.

I mean, we trust the nations we bring democracy to have one person, one vote - and the one with the most votes wins. Why don't they give us the same trust?

Your last comment makes me wonder about your concern (and many others) about key issues (in no particular order): healthcare, abortion rights, income taxes, immigration, employment, Homeland security, the future make up of SCOTUS, war, and so many other issues. Bush and Kerry have their own ideas on each of these. Each with its own consequences depending on whom wins. No matter which side of the spectrum you are on, I find it hard that anyone would be "fine" with whomever is in office.
  17. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2002
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
    September 23, 1987 - Stalin drops a nuclear bomb on New York City and starts World War III.

I can write fiction too.
  18. revenuee macrumors 68020

Sep 13, 2003
    A place where i am supreme emporer
    for someone arguing against uninspired candidates, playing "the hitler card" has to be by far the most uninspired argument ever developed <--- how cliché

you'd of been better off using Khrushchev as your example --- at least his history is fun
  19. tristan macrumors 6502a

Jul 19, 2003
    high-rise in beautiful bethesda
    If you find both candidates equally detestable, then don't vote. But I'm sure there's at least one difference on one issue that can help you make a decision.

I think both candidates are missing the boat foreign-policy wise, but socially and domestically, Kerry's a clear favorite for me, so I vote for him. See how it works? But if you really want to make a difference, you have to work at the primary level. You will make more of an impact contributing $50 to a primary candidate than you will by contributing $1000 to a nominee.
  20. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Aug 23, 2003
    Fort Myers, FL
  21. mcarvin macrumors regular

Oct 26, 2003
    Southern NJ
    537 votes decided the election 4 years ago. That's about 1/2 of the residents in my development. Yeah, I'm voting for the first time in 12 years and even then it was for Perot.

I'd honestly rather have Howard Dean as the Dem nominee, but I'll take Kerry. There's just too many ambiguities, half-truths, and a heavy air of shadiness about Bush/Cheney for me to vote for them. Now, if Kerry is just as bad, I'll vote elsewhere in 4 years.

As far as the 3rd-party candidates go, I like most of what they have to say. This time around though, we need a candidate who has been there (Iraq is quickly becoming our generation's Vietnam), done that (knows what war is like from a soldier's POV, and understands the value of int'l diplomacy), and isn't as _overtly_ beholden to the oil and defense industries.

A guy I met at a halloween party said he was voting for Nader. I wished him luck that his guy would pick up 1.5% of the popular vote, and I was competely serious. We need a 3rd-party, but I'm not sure that this election is the time to experiment with electing an unknown quantity to the high office. It's a shame because they have really good things to say, and they wouldn't come back year after year just to get beat down unless they were serious.
  22. toontra macrumors 6502

Feb 6, 2003
    London UK
    Why not title this thread "I'm going to abstain this year" rather than "Don't vote Tuesday". Less views, perhaps, but a more accurate reflection of the content. You haven't given a single valid reason why others shouldn't vote, only why you aren't going to.

BTW, I think you are very wrong. Do you realise how much people in the rest of the world are going to be affected by the outcome? Maybe it doesn't overly concern you, small matters like world consensus, an invented "war" on terrorism, global warming. Go back to sleep, but don't come crying if you wake up and the world has changed for the worse.
  23. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Try the next 4 months. I am willing to be cold hard cash at least 2 will be announcing their retirement after January.

As for not voting. Nice. Doing nothing, sitting on your hands, and bitching about the current state of our government is always better then doing something. :rolleyes:
  24. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

Jan 30, 2004
    having a drink at Milliways
    if kerry wins, what are the chances the the republican "retiree" judges will resign before january, so bush gets the last laugh?
  25. neut macrumors 68000

Nov 27, 2001
    here (for now)

You can't say that... you only have the balls to say such a thing because America is still the largest National power. you'd be voting you your ass off to get a killer off the throne if you lived in another country. are you sure there will be another vote in 2008? even if there is it won't be the same. voting rules will change in a vote you didn't vote for... the people in power will change them for you.

4 more years? if so i fully expect the largest protest in the history of mankind... again.