Don't want to lose my app's data when I upgrade to iOS 5

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ero87, Oct 10, 2011.

1. macrumors 65816

ero87

How can I be absolutely sure I won't lose my apps and their data on my ipad when i upgrade to iOS 5? Do I just sync the app to my mac beforehand, is that enough?

Thanks!

2. macrumors 6502

HengenJL

yes, perform a backup of the iPad before installing iOS5. technically iTunes should also make a backup just before the installation of iOS5 occurs.

3. macrumors member

iJasonTATE

Yes, iTunes will automatically backup your iPad right before the iOS 5 install takes place.

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

Great. And what if I buy an iPad 2? How can I make sure my app's data are ported over to the new device?

5. macrumors 68020

macingman

It's very easy. Just restore from the backup of your first iPad.

6. macrumors G3

Night Spring

Backup your current iPad to a computer. Hook up the new iPad to the computer and start iTunes. iTunes will ask you if you want to set up the iPad as New or to restore from backup. Select restore from backup.

Actually, with the coming of iCloud, I imagine there will be a way to do this over the air without hooking up iPads to a computer, but since I haven't had a chance to try iCloud, I'm not sure of the exact steps that would be involved.

7. macrumors 68020

BergerFan

App data gets backed up to iCloud, as well, according to Apple.
    I'll backup to PC, initially, until I'm certain that iCloud works flawlessly.

8. macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

The 2011 WWDC Keynote (available on the Apple Keynotes podcast) was clear that one could "cut the cord" with new iPads.

If your old iPad was updated to iOS 5 and backed up into the cloud, you should be able to register your new iPad 2 and restore the data and apps wirelessly. Apple should publish information on how to do this after iOS 5 is released (and registered developers are given permission to discuss iOS 5).

One concern would be finding a facility with a high-bandwidth connection to facilitate the prompt installation of your programs and data on the new machine. An Apple store would be a swell place to do that update.

9. macrumors 68030

FreakinEurekan

If you install the official release then iTunes will force a backup before upgrading, you will not have problems. If you install the GM you must ensure that you back up first or you can/will lose some data.

10. macrumors regular

Quick question, i know you don't need a developers ID for the GM, can i install it on my iPad 2 WIFI, and then upgrade to the full release? ( if that is the way?)

I am impatient,yes.

11. macrumors regular

In all likelihood, the GM release is the "full version", but if not, the answer to your question is still yes.

12. macrumors 68020

The GM is the full release.

13. macrumors G3

Night Spring

Not true. The GM is exactly the same as the official release. If you install the GM, there is no need to install the official release. Updates to subsequent releases would be done the same as if you installed the official release.

14. macrumors regular

it does, it actually does a better job than iTunes itself since i've had times when folders or apps don't always restore where as iCloud hasn't failed to restore the phone exactly as it was when the backup was performed.

15. macrumors 68020

Likewise, the iCloud backup has been brilliant so far. Even restored from backup and it contained a half-written iMessage.

16. macrumors 6502a

foodog

Only if you choose this as your backup... you have a choice backup to iCloud or iTunes. With wireless syncing I chose to stay with iTunes backups. When I plug the phone in to charge for the night it backs itself up and sync to iTunes. The computer backs itself up to an external site every night.