Don't you just hate saying this!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by absolut_mac, Aug 15, 2005.

1. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

So for the past 6 months or so I've been trying to convince my friend to buy either an Apple Mini or the all in one iMac G5.

My arguments about no viruses, so secure that the FBI use it etc did convince him to visit the Apple store (The Grove) a couple of times.

Each time I always heard the same argument from him why Apple was a bad move for him. Too expensive, no software, not compatible with Windows and the usual FUD.

Point by point I refuted every single one of his arguments by pointing out to him that unless he's an architect or a die hard gamer, the Mac will do everything he needs with more security and a whole lot less aggravation.

To cut a long story short, I finally manage to get him sitting on the fence and he visists the Apple store for one last confirmation on what to buy, Dell or Apple. Tiger had just been released a few days earlier, and wouldn't you know it, while the sales person is running a demo for him on an iMac, it crashes.

That did it for him and that day he ordered his Dell. Almost $200 more than the equivalent iMac, and that doesn't take into account the software that the Dell doesn't come with - iLife, etc.

A few days later the angry emails start. I can't do this and the computer won't do that, eg it won't play DVD's (the player hasn't been configured yet), or audio CDs (ditto).

Sorry, I just couldn't resist, but before I went over to his house to help him sort things out, I did happen to mention to him that Apple's motto is *it just works*. I know that I shouldn't have rubbed it in, but I warned him for over 1/2 a year and he wouldn't take my friendly advice.

And boy oh boy, do they load garbage onto that thing. I couldn't work for 5 minutes without windows popping up - UPGRADE NOW - NOW'S YOuR CHANCE TO GET THE PRO VERSION - THIS TRIAL VERSION IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE etc etc.

Needless to say he is very frustrated and and most unhappy with his spanking brand new Dell, so I won't rub it in anymore ;)

2. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

You should have just refused to help him.

Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind ;)

3. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

god yes i understand.

recently i actually got pissed off enough that i just refused to help. scenario: girl hates her messed up windows machine, wants a new computer. i gave her my obvious recommendations. she thinks macs are "too weird" :rolleyes: and got another XP machine.
    two weeks pass, virus, crashing, etc etc ad nauseam. followed by her constant bitching and requests for help. i finally said "look, i gave you the perfect solution for these problems; you made your choice, now you have to live with it." - i felt like a jerk saying it but i have just had enough of hearing whining from windows users sometimes. (i run a forum that is full of them, i am the only mac user and believe me, it makes me insane sometimes to hear the daily rubbish about their miserable computers. normally i am patient and help, this chick just ticked me off)

i don't understand people sometimes. ...buncha sheep ;)

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Why not? I revel in a person's computer misery. Careful what you ask for..

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

when my grandmother bought a computer, i told her again and again, buy a Mac. you KNOW I'm a computer geek, you should trust me, i'm the most technical person you know. So she buys an IBM, because her son is an accountant there, he convinced her (based on totally non-technical arguments, such as "apple doesn't work good"). Now the kicker is that I was then expected to provide tech support. And I did, each time I had to go reinstall something or fix something or buy more software or whatever, I explained how this wouldn't have come up if she got a Mac. She used to get so furious, finally she started yelling. "Well, I didn't get a Mac, did I? So you just sit there and fix that, it's a good machine!" Well that's the last time I lifted a finger to fix that POS, let me tell you. After paying technicians $40/hr (repeatedly) to fix her problems since then, she decided to upgrade-- TO ANOTHER IBM. i refuse to go near her computer room. I'm not her bitch.

My partner's mom is the same way. I get calls constantly, something's messed up, something doesn't work. We need a new monitor, will you pick it out? I lost data! The mouse is broken! Gateway gave us bad instructions that reformatted the hard drive! So after all this BS, i finally tell her, get a Mac! that's what we use! start showing her the Mac mini. She likes it, and I can tell she's curious. But she refuses to switch, saying she can't "learn everything new". I went off one night to my partner, about how everyone asks me for advice on peripherals, software, etc but no one listens to my advice about systems. Lacking any tact, he repeated my whole speech to his mom, who now blanks out and nods her head when I mention Macs. I don't know what it is... no matter how many times I sweep the spyware off her machine, or how many times she looses all her files, it's still better than a Mac. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

6. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

The sooner he realizes he made a stupid mistake the better.

Dell can't even make proper mouse mats for crying out loud.

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I think if someone asks you for a recommendation and you're gonna say "Get a Mac", follow that with "And if you don't get a Mac, I will not give you tech support. Please consult whoever is recommending a Windows PC for that." It's called 'tough love' people and sometimes it needs to be done. For other examples see Dr. Phil or Chef Gordon Ramsay. :)

8. MacHarne macrumors 6502

I know this all too well. Because I use Macs, or by some other mysterious default, I am my family & extended family's tech support person. "Well, why do we get viruses if your's doesn't?" It really wears me out to have to expect a few hours in front of a Dell each time I take a trip to see family. It's frustrating not only because my family is discouraged but frustrating for me because I know I will have to fix something. However, each time, I make sure I have a Mac close by to use occasionally (particularly Expose) and I'll show them iPhoto slideshows of recent photos or whatever (just to brag, subtly).

9. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

That's my saying, "If you get a Mac, I'll be your official computer fixer. If you get a PC, find someone else..."

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

My mother is too cheap to upgrade her ancient TiPB from OS 9. I keep telling her, I haven't supported that in almost 5 years, I don't remember what you're talking about, nor can I tell you where to look for this fix. I guess I'll have to buy her a new Mini just to get her into the 21st century. :rolleyes:

11. Makosuke macrumors 603

Speak it, brother.

If you ask me for free advice on what computer to buy, I'm going to tell you to get a Mac unless you're a gamer or CAD junkie. If you then disregard my advice for no good reason (as opposed to a good reason), I might give you a half-hearted suggestion about how to deal with your Windows problem, but unless you're paying the going rate for my services I'm not going to waste my time fixing it for you. You wanted to buy it, you deal with it.

Were I you, absolut_mac, the only thing my friend would be getting from me is an "I told you so." If he was a good friend, I'd try to resist gloating, but that's as far as I'd give.

Actually, I've sold several aquaintances on Macs basically through "Y'know, if you had a Mac I'd be glad to help you with it, but you wouldn't have had this problem in the first place."

12. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

Work gave me a new Dell P4 3.0 about a week ago. Sure, I've turned it on. Even registered a new user account for myself (it had been used for a couple days before given to me), but that's about the extent of my experience with that piece- My points are 1) What you said about tons of notifications and "upgrade now"'s and everything needing configuring... I hear that, and 2) With my PB sitting beside it, you'd have to have lost a bet or something to want to sit there and "work" with the Dell.

13. sprstu macrumors member

sprstu

I have never helped someone buy a mac, but I was helped. I was on the Dell side of the world, and I needed a new machine. I was scared about all tyhe possible software that i couldnt use on a mac, or all the games that maybe someday I would want to play that didnt support OSX, ect. But when it came down to is, all the things I was scared id miss out on i never used on my xp machine, so why would I buy a machine that was set up to use products that I never use in the first place? I am very happy with my PB, and I will never go back to an xp machine, and when somone in my family starts to look for a new machine, I will point them in the sweeter directions.

14. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Doesn't Dell have a return/refund policy on new computers?

15. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Amen. Haha...

But seriously, if someone says, "What would you get for a computer," I say a Mac of course. If they say, "But why not get the Dell when it's only $349??" To that I respond, "Because you will HATE it." If they keep it up, I say good-bye. :eek:

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I have repeatedly told my parents that if they ever buy anything that runs Windows, I won't support it. I don't think they will though, my mother can't even figure out how to use Yahoo's webmail, and refuses to let me set up a Cox account and Mail for her. My father's biggest switch for computers was probably Eudora/OS 9 to Mail/OS X.

17. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Yeah they have a 21 day return policy, and you must pay a 15% restocking fee if there weren't any problems with it.

It used to be 30 days but I'm not sure when they changed it to 21 days. This is an interesting little article... http://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/dell_30day.html

18. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

i've also heard the whole "but it's cheaper to just fix my windows machine than buy a mac" to which i almost stand in place and twitch with disgust. i just think "go ahead and polish your turd, it will always be a turd"
    there is no hope for some people.

19. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

which is exactly what i did with my parents when they got their new machine, they refused to listen to me, they got a new compaq or whatever, they didn't get a router so no hardware firewall = viruses and spyware, i told them that i wasn't going to deal with, and i don't if they have problems i just ignore it and let them get someone else or pay for it to be fixed, i told them that they would have few if any issues with a Mac, and that i could fix them over the phone if need be thats how well i know the systems.... but of course not, too bad for them

20. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

of course people are sheep. most people don't want to be different than the people around them. that's why high school cliques exist. that's why racism exists, still

21. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

I must be the black sheep of the family then. A PowerBook sitting in my room is sharing the network with 2 Dell desktops, 2 Dell laptops, 3 Compaq desktops, the custom PC I built myself (believe it or not, no problems with it :eek: ), and an old "beater" Compaq from the early nineties I think.

Im trying to convince my mother to buy a Mac Mini to replace one of the Compaq's. I must not be trying hard enough...

Oh, and PlaceofDis, I told them the same thing, no more help with your PC's. I'm burnt out from running HijackThis, SilentRunners, and the whole Spybot and Ad-Aware routine... ugh.

22. jdechko macrumors 68040

When I get a powerbook and get my fiance something other than the hand-me-down VAIO she will get, I am done supporting Windows. Period. If my parents or family want help with their computer, I am going to tell them that they better get a Mac or no help from me. Of course, that will let my sister's boyfriend be the hero, but I really couldnt give a crap at that point.

23. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Goodness gracious! I am NOT tech savy, but the lack of issues w/ my Macs (and the ease w/ which I have used MactheRipper and HandBrake) have convinced him that I am a tech genius! He recently got a Windows laptop and it's having all these issues and he asks me to take a look and help him out... I look over his shoulder for a few minutes and say, sorry dunno how to help you out w/ that. :p

24. absolut_mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Refusal wasn't an option because he got me an important job when I switched professions about 10 years ago.

FWIW I switched from selling high-end stereo back to my original profession - diamond cutting - but I couldn't really make a decent go of it, because I had been out of the market for too long. So I switched again and turned my hobby of repairing watches into my profession. Thank G-d all has been very good since then.

25. absolut_mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

It's a mind set that I personally don't understand, but most people once they get used to something, no matter how terrible it is, are absolutely loathe to try something (drum roll...) different.

As all of you who responded know only too well how frustrating it is to offer ones family and friends a real solution to their computing woes, but either they've been too severely brainwashed, or they are just too stubborn, so we end up bearing the brunt of their unhappiness with PCs.

As far as I'm concerned, regardless of what it is, I'm always looking for an easier way to do things, so I guess I do end up experimenting more than most - and most of the time that's usually a good thing ;)