Don't you think the iPod photo will become the next iPod?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dferigmu, Mar 26, 2005.

1. dferigmu macrumors 6502

I mean, look at the current iPod. There's only one model and it's the most outdated out of all the iPod models. I think it will be dropped soon and the iPod photo will become the standard iPod with 2-3 different models.

That's why I'm not buying a 20GB iPod. It seems like a bad deal comapred to the iPod photo and the battery life is worse than all the other models.

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Well I think those features will inevitably be found in all iPods, yes. But I imagine it will take 1-1.5 years for transition, so you might be waiting a while for a cheap, color iPod.

3. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

You will be waiting a long time for that. The 20 gig is the only ipod that has big storage and only plays music. Most people would not buy the ipod photo because it is 1) very expensive and 2) most people don't need the color screen/photo capability. So it would actualyl be really stupid for apple to drop it's current 20 gig ipod because as of right now it's fairly affordable. No one wants to pay a ton of money for extra features they don't want/need.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Math?

Yeah...20 gig iPod=$299
    30 gig iPod photo=$349
    $349-$299=$50
    $50=not a "ton" more once you have already spent $299.

Comparison...when ink jet printers first came out, they were all black and white. Slowly, color ink was added, but did the companies keep making b/w only inkjets? No, because it was just as easy to make a model that could do both.

The iPods WILL get thinner, their battery life will improve. I bet the next price revision will drop the 20 gig iPod completely, replacing it at the same price point with either a 20 or 30 gig iPod photo. There is simply no reason not to.

If you want to save money and get a music only player, the mini and shuffle will be your choice.

5. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

The photo is only $50 more than the 20GB one and comes with 1/3 more space and a color screen. I think in as little as a couple months, we could see an iPod photo start at $300, or a redesigned iPod with photo capabilities.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

sure its the natural evolution of the iPod if you ask me, but i think they are waiting it out for a bit rather than constantly changing the lineup right now

i also think they are waiting until they find another 'high end' iPod that can take the place of the Photo, bigger storage and color sceens are going to become standard, i dont doubt that, but they are going to want something to be at the top of the chain too

id say six months to a year before we see this transition complete though, maybe even longer depending on how they want the iPod to evolve

7. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

As other posters have said the evolution is already taking place, I don't think it will be long until the two lines blend together. By which time the Photo Pod will be replaced by the Movie Pod and the whole cycle starts again!

8. auxplage macrumors 6502

The 30GB iPod Photo is actually 50% more capacity compared to the 20GB.

9. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

You guys are missing the most obvious advantage the 20 gig ipod has over the photo. The SIZE! The 20 gig is way thinner. I wouldnt buy a photo right now simply because its to thick,bulky. I like the 20 gig.

10. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

I have used the 30GB photo at the Apple Store and it seems almost as thin as the 20GB one.

11. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh that's right, sorry. ;)

12. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Yes. I think it's safe to say that the next rev iPods will ALL be color/photos with the iPod mini's remaining monochrome.

13. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Yeah thats what i thought but my friend clames that when you hold them in both in your hands you really notice the difference. I think we will see it once the size of the color LCD's reduce.

14. iGary Guest

iGary

The 20GB and 30GB photo both use single platter HDD's.

.57 versus .63 inches.

15. Bear macrumors G3

Although no one says you have to use the Color iPod as a Photo iPod.

When the 40GB Photo was discounted after it was discontinued, I decided $350ish for a 40GB iPod with a 15 hour (music only) battery life was a good deal. I don't intend to load photos on it.

Sometimes you need to ignore the features that don't matter to you (and won't affect you) when you compare products. For instance, $300 for 20GB iPod or $350 for 30GB Color iPod. The extra $50 is worth the extra capacity for some people, and the fact its battery life is longer is also good. And the fact that it's color won't affect the use of it as a music player.

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I can see them dropping the black and white iPod in the future (not trying to guess when though) but I hope this isn't the start of the slippery slope towards filling our beloved mp3 player with unnecessary features. It's the iPod's simplicity that's half the reason it's so popular and well loved around here. Obviously there are other reasons too though... :p

17. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

My iPod was purchased 2-3 weeks ago ( we paid AU$399 for the 20GB 4G model), and this weekend I went back to where it was purchased and guess what?-I could see only boxes for the discontinued 40GB 4G and the iPod Photo. By the looks of this, the fifth generation iPod line may no longer include a 20GB model-the 30gb iPod photo would then became the new standard iPod.

The U2 20GB model could then be only 4th gen iPod available or upgraded along with the next iPod revision (say in the third-quarter).

18. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I've had my 60gig photo for a week or so now, I didn't buy it for the photo capability, but for the space to run Lossless and .aiff when needed and as portable back-up.

That said, the photo side is slick and very neat, I'll be buying an A/V cable next week, mainly so I can run Powerpoint presentations directly from the iPod rather than my PowerBook, but also to show slideshows to the family.... :D

I can see these capabilities bleeding across the entire range, although the higher models will undoubtedly be able to do other stuff as well by then.

19. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a question about the photo's screen though. Without the backlight, it seems much harder to see than the mini and 20GB iPod screens. Is this the case, or is it just me? Doesn't this mean you have to use the backlight to see the screen, which will result in less than 15 hours of battery life?