DontBuyMusic.com was shut down today at the request of Buy.c...

Discussion in 'Mac Scene' started by MacBytes, Aug 15, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

uh oh!

The hunting begins!

Watch out BoycottBuyMusic!

Watch it ! :confused:

Oh no!

Watch out guys!

3. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Funny...they copy/parody Apple, but when someone else does it, they get upset and shut them down.

4. macrumors 603

shadowfax

in the american legal system, essence is thrown out the window and form is subjected to utmost praise. you have to copy people very carefully in america. i am sure buymusic.com was that careful. as Rand would say, moochers are great at protecting themselves from one another, if not at producing good things.

5. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

God bless America, eh?

6. macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Someone call the ACLU. That's an infringement on first amendment rights. Buy.com has no legal position on this matter.

7. macrumors 68020

G4scott

I'd call them, but the ACLU no longer really stands for the rights of Americans. They just do whatever they can to make money by supporting ideas of certain, rich people, and collecting court fees by taking others to court.

I really want to see BuyMusic's sales figures from opening day.

I bet they suck :p

8. macrumors 68020

G4scott

I hate to double post, and I'm not sure if this hasn't been pointed out before, but you can still browse the site with IE on a Mac, although you get this little popup window. In Safari, it takes you to this page, where you can't do anything.

This is a HATE CRIME!!! They are making their service unavailable to a certain group of people (Safari, and non IE users.)

I wonder how far you'd get in court with this argument...

I imagine not very far, but it'd be interesting.

9. macrumors 68040

tazo

I have braced for a possible attack, by editing the index page to include a pseudo-disclaimer. Check it out at Boycottbuymusic.com and thanks MrMacMan for thinking of my site:)

10. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Their grounds were copyright and trademark infringement. That's what you should watch out for, tazo. For example, it might be a good precaution to change the Math Problems Yet Again page to quote their copy instead of showing a screenshot. I'm no legal expert, but I'd rather see you keep the site going.

11. macrumors 68040

tazo

I don't quite understand what you mean. Take the images from the site like the chart and the text? I am interested in doing anything to avoid getting the c&d, not that I was any stranger to them running a joke website for four years :rolleyes: ;)

12. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The change you made matches what I was suggesting: reporting their math problem with words and pointing at the image on their site instead of on yours. If they ever fix their page, I wonder if you could still point to the old version in the Google cache?

Remember, if you really want legal advice, ask somebody qualified to give it.

Anybody remember the lousy law firm that hassled a kid over his domain name pokey.org? (link) In cases like this one and that one, I root for the underdog.

13. macrumors 68020

G4scott

Hey Tazo, I'll send this picture to the boycottbuymusic site... I made it myself :D :cool:

14. macrumors 68040

tazo

hot damn. that is great :)
    Do you think you could design one with BoycottBuyMusic.com in it?