Doom 1 For Mac OS X

Discussion in 'Games' started by lexus, Jun 29, 2006.

1. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

Does any one know if there is a version of the Original Doom which will run on Intel and OSX? Also the original Wolfenstein.

Thanks

2. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I played duke nukem 3D on 10.4 (but I deleted it, it sucked). Wasn't Doom and Duke nukem released at around the same time?

3. RacerX macrumors 65832

You can get a Mac OS X version either here or here. Both of these should work with Doom, Doom II, Ultimate Doom and Final Doom wads.

I don't know about the first link, but the second link is to a pre-Intel app. Either way, I would guess that both should run on your system just fine (they aren't the most taxing games).

Id never released the source for the original Wolfenstein, so only the original supported platforms can play that game... but there are both 68k and PowerPC emulators out there for playing it in an older version of the Mac OS... which again should be fine considering that it wasn't that intense of a game.

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I have played the doomlegacy one. Gr8 fun :)

"Wasn't that intense of a game."

I remember my parents having a 286 when Wolfestein 3D came out, and it ran really poorly. A friend of mine just got a shiny new 386 (maybe with 8 MB RAM even!!), and on that PC it did run smoothly!
    Meaning that when those games were first releaed, they were pretty demanding for the PC's in those days... :)

I don't remember when the Mac versions first came out though...

5. RacerX macrumors 65832

My instruction manual doesn't have any dates on it (and I'm not sure what I did with the floppies). But the manual does have system requirements...
    Required:
    - Any 256-color Macintosh computer
    - 22000K free memory
    - System 6.0.7 or later​
    Recommended:
    - Up to 6000K free memory
    - 25MHz 68030 or faster Mac (IIci or LC III or faster)
    - System 7.0 or later​
    Wolfenstein 3D is a "fat binary" and runs entirely in native PowerPC code if you have a Power Macintosh!​
    So at least the copy I have came out after the spring of 1994. And I would guess that the slowest system it would run on would be a Macintosh II (68020 at 16 MHz) as that is the slowest system that you could connect a color display to (the Macintosh SE/30 has a color ROM and supported a color monitor but was a 68030 at 16 MHz).

The 68020/68030 about the same class of processor as the 386. As I recall, both the 286 and 68020 were released at the same time, but the 68020 was far more powerful and quickly gained a foot hold in the graphics workstation market (this was the chip Silicon Graphics started out on). The 68030 was a small modification of the 68020 with the addition of an on chip PMMU.

When the 386 was released this was the first time that PCs had a processor that could have been in a workstation class system. OS/2 was aimed at taking advantage of this processor... because MS-DOS wasn't up to the task. It was also the 386 that started Linus Torvalds on the path to creating Linux. People finally had hardware that could really run as a workstation if they had the software. But at the time, workstation class software was very expensive (for about $1000 Apple would send you a replacement 80 MB hard drive with A/UX preinstalled for your Mac II series system).

Windows NT 3.1 Workstation was the first Microsoft OS to really take advantage of the new abilities of the 386/486 series processors.

:rolleyes:

All of which is terribly off topic... sorry. :eek:

That is the one I use too.

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

No way! Thanks for the detailed info. Gr8 post! :)