Doom 1

Discussion in 'Games' started by carpe diem, Oct 8, 2005.

1. carpe diem macrumors 6502

Does any one know where i can get Doom 1?
    Thanks

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

3. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Search in google for macintosh garden, it should be on the site.

4. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I think their server has a little problem..

Anyway, wherever you download the doom series. it is legal to download it because it is considered abandonware... And when you do that, be sure to check Doomsday to run the game natively in OS X with options such as 3d objects and characters, and better textures...

5. jim. macrumors 6502

Actually, the Doom series is still under copyright by id, and there is no legal basis for "abandonware." That was something made up in the BBS age, and it kind of caught on with people who didn't question it. Plus, if you follow Lacero's link, id is still selling Doom, so how can it be abandoned? I think you can actually get it on a CD now, instead of the 10 floppies it used to come on.

Jim

6. Jsmit macrumors regular

7. carpe diem thread starter macrumors 6502

8. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

9. Jsmit macrumors regular

You can get Ultimate Doom for Mac from 2.89 USD (used) to 25.99 USD (new) on Amazon.

Wolfenstein 3D is 74.49 USD. I am speechless.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

yea some Castlevania something of Sorrow GBA game costs £45 on Amazon! AND its 2nd hand. i emailed the guy but he was real hostile. very angry person.

thats $79 by the by.

11. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

12. iPoster macrumors regular

You can get the 'Collector's Edition' Doom, includes Doom, Doom 2 and Ultimate Doom, for $10 at Wall-Mart. (Which, BTW means it's NOT abandon-ware!) It's in a black multi-CD case with a large DOOM on the front. It's the PC version, but put the .pak files into DoomLegacy, and you're fragging away in OpenGL goodness.... :cool:

13. carpe diem thread starter macrumors 6502

14. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

Legacy is great, deffinetly worth a look. But Doomsday is something else. It's far far far better and newer releases here as well as SoulStorms link to the official pages..

15. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

Thanks to patmian12 and soulstorm-- I grabbed doom2 and doomsday and had a great afternoon playing doom2-- I had the doom 2 file before and it ran at about a frame a second in Classic-- doomsday, on the other hand, is excellent. I realize that graphics have gotten better in the last 10 years, but the gameplay is still great.

16. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

YES.

Thank you so much, I had no idea this was out there.

6th grade nostalgia, here I come!

17. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I can't ever imagine thinking at one point Doom 1 was the greatest game ever. Today, the screen is so small, the graphics so pixellated and the game play so stiff by today's standard. LOL. Good trip down memory lane. :p

18. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

don't forget about the packs you can install with Doomsday, like the texture packs, UI improvements, new models, weapons, lighting, etc.etc.. I'm still waiting of the next release 'Doomsday 1.9.0-beta3'. Hope it ain't too long, good stuff is doomsday :D

19. carpe diem thread starter macrumors 6502

20. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

ohh YEAH!!!!!! i still prefer the Atari Jaguar version of Wolf3d though, which is odd. But the mac one is so expandable with the maps u can use. Of course, you probably meant RTCW? Still a yes, love this game but not to great on the weapons compared to other games from the time, like MoH..

So, err yeah, i'm a fan yes! :D ....but back on topic.. heh