Doom 3 1.3 and Surround Sound

Discussion in 'Games' started by MacsRgr8, Jul 19, 2005.

1. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    This version of Doom 3 for Mac has a preview for use of OpenAL technology enabling surround sound support...... if you have such a soundcard. :rolleyes:

I tried to get it working using the Optical Digital Audio out connected to my Logitech Z-680 speaker system. That won't work.
    I assume the decoding of the 5.1 audio has to happen on the Mac (i.e. the Dolby 5.1. sound card like on a PC)?

You can download it here

Anyone tried it?
  2. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2004
    Yep. Doesn't work yet, unfortunately. (And no, it won't work with the optical output at all, unless someone can write some sort of on-the-fly 5.1-encoding program or something. Same deal with any other surround-sound game, of which there are four others that I know of on the Mac.) Using the analog outputs on my Revolution 5.1 card, it's very promising at first, but when you get your mission briefing in the first level, the sound starts dropping out, and when you try to go to the next level, the game quits back to the main menu. The same thing happens on similar systems, so it's not just a problem on my end.

Oh well, they didn't call it a preview for nothing. Let's hope they get it sorted out with another patch.

3. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    The read me does state that Doom 3, like other games on the Mac, require a sound card for the decoding of 5.1 audio. You do have a satisfactory selection on the Mac from the Revolution 5.1/7.1 cards to the few USB dongles.

Many of the Inside Mac Games Forum members have Revolution cards, so feel free to ask them about troubleshooting or their opinions about sound cards.

Might be a good idea to ask Aspyr if there's any plans to support the Optical Digital Out on G5s.