Doom 3 and Mac Book Pro

Discussion in 'Games' started by rhoffa, Feb 24, 2006.

1. rhoffa macrumors newbie

Feb 21, 2006
    So people are starting to get there MBP's and the universal binary is out. A link would work if its already out there but can someone let us know the FPS with the 2.0 ghz Duo and 256 mb vid card? I've seen people talk about their old set ups (and the intel iMac with 128 vid card) but has anyone tried this one yet. I just thought this would give us the best idea of how strong the set up is for gaming because I don't know of a more intense Mac game thats universal.

2. Melkor macrumors 6502

Oct 12, 2005
    I would also be very interested to hear how it runs :)
  3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    The MBP and the iMac are essentially the same machine... same CPU and (arguably) same GPU. The iMac scores about 21fps on Doom3 high quality at 1680x1050. Since the MBP can't run at this high of a resolution, you should expect it to run a bit more toward 30fps.
  4. milner007 macrumors newbie

Mar 12, 2006
    Games on MBP

i got the mbp and i run doom 3 and ut2004
    and it is glichy.
    Is this normal becuas eof the different cpu
  5. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

Jun 15, 2005
    At one point, Barefeats say that 256MB VRAM provides a 3-5% FPS boost.
  6. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

Jan 8, 2005
    On the moon.
    I will never understand Doom 3s problems on the Mac. Its OpenGL and yet Aspyr cant seem to get it running decently at ALL. o.o'

I have a Radeon 9600XT and a AMD Athlon 64 and at High I average about 55 FPS on 1024x768. Its quite playable, even for the old graphics card. I personally cant wait to wrap my hands around a newer X1600 Pro 512 or ideally a GeForce 7800GS 256MB.
  7. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Oct 24, 2003
    I get similar framerates with my G5 Power Mac here, so I cannot ever complain. But i am hoping to see good results from the intel/Power Macs when they arrive. I don't think we've seen the 'real' intel macs yet - as good as the iMac intel is, it ain't a Power Mac. Also I didn't care much for the first-gen Mac Books too. pah that naming! ;)

btw, you outta try out In Hell. I've just been playing this incredible download for Doom3. It's as smooth as silk all the way through, well, until i got chewed alive by those damn spider babes!! lol