doom 3 demo?

Discussion in 'Games' started by jaykub, May 21, 2005.

1. jaykub macrumors newbie

can I download a demo of doom 3 anywhere?

for mac of course :)

g5, nvidia gforce 5200, gig of ram ..... thats decent specs to run it right?

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

haha you wrote 'demo 3 demo'. which is almost as bad as me typing in doom3d when trying to play Duke3D once (DOS! last decade)

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

:eek: very surprised that ran on my Powerbook! wow! that had serious problems running on my laptop. god even in 640x480, low quality, all advanced options off it ran terrible! even the powerbook runs at a decent speed there.

strange stuff.

6. mus0r macrumors regular

Ditch the 5200...it's crap. The game is *barely* playable on the lowest settings. I just got an X800, and I pulled my 9600 if you're interested. :D

7. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Nope. Replace the graphics card with an ATI 9800 if you can find one, or better yet an X800 if you don't mind spending some bucks.

--Eric

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

i'm very surprised that the game is just bordering on tolerable in 640x480 in ultra quality on my little 12" PowerBook. sure there are pauses when theres lots of loading. but wow! the Powerbooks video card is better than i thought.

again this just adds to the confusion that my Laptop with a Geforce 5600 performed worse than my powerbooks 5200 in lower settings. they must have really optimized it from the PC version, for my PB at least!

9. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

but you should really lower that video quality to low or medium for your gfx card. The ultra setting is for those 512mb vram cards soon out... Then perhaps u can higher the resolution? You'll find later areas and many 3rd party sp-maps and total conversions will struggle in Ultra mode using that gfx card.

Doom3 is a great buy though. Go try Doom Chronicles or Classic Doom. You'll be amazed by a mod called GTX that's out shortly. Go2 filefront for all the above downloads.

hth :)

10. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i tried the demo on my powerbook (even though i've already beat the game on my PC) and i was actually surprised how it ran. had to run with all the settings turned down to medium and 800x600 but it was playable most of the time. i actually expected worse.

11. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Ehhh...

Good luck with that video card...I recommend running it at the lowest settings...check the macworld or macaddict review...

12. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

of course. It needs a G5 mac for best results.. I run with all fx/shadows on (except fsaa!) and it's at 1280x1024 at high video quality. Plays great and smooth on my 2003 2ghz G5. So i'm a happy bunny ;D

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

it goes like this;

Laptop; 3Ghz P4 with HT. Geforce 5600 128mb. 512mb DDR.
    Doom 3: terrible
    Half life 2: good

Powerbook; 1.5Ghz G4. Geforce 5200 64mb. 512mb DDR
    Doom 3: good

Desktop PC; 2Ghz P4. ATI Radeon 9600pro 128mb. 512mb DDR
    Doom 3: beautiful
    Half Life 2: beautiful x2 (1024*768, EVERYTHING on full including 8x AA 16x Anisotropic filtering)

14. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

These are my specs:

On a g5 sual 2x2.5 GHz with ATI 9600XT and 1GByte RAM with OS X 10.4.2 I am playing doom 3 with absolutely NO lockups and the frame rate is approx. 20 fps

Actually, I am thinking that the port is good, I have also run this game into my iMac g4 (see sig) with every setting set to low, and I achieved 9 fps average....

A very good port IMO.

15. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

Agreed:) Though perhaps that superb mac of yours needs a better gfx card? I use nvidia 6800 / dual 2ghz G5 and get double your framerates. Timedemo (yeah i know) gives around 55fps too. FSAA seems to be the real killer for the mac release imho

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

i heard that Doom 3 doesn't take advantage of the dual G5 though. thats a shame. some real power there. unless im wrong :confused:

17. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Top marks for waiting the full 4 months before replying! (Finally it is here!) :D

Does the thread starter, jaykub, already know?

I have finished playing the game, and although many levels can become boring (same stuff: lights switch off - monster creeps up to you - fire all ya have), some a simply superb! Especially "Hell"... about 2/3rds way through was awesome. And the end.... wow :cool:

Problem is... need a #$%*@&$^& - grfx card! If you do own a G5, get the GeForce 6800 Ultra (if you can get one...this one is the best for Doom 3), or the Radeon X800 (X850 BTO)....
    Playing the game in "high settings" really gives you an idea what Id was trying to let you experience.

BTW... if you have the $$$ get a Dobly 5.1 (or 7.1) sound card. The Optical Audio on the G5 is not supported by OpenAL, so no surround sound for Doom 3 using digital audio. If you want the real *&%^$ scary experience.... turn off the lights, and play the game in Dolby 5.1 sound.... OMG, every time you hear something behind you..... :eek:
    :cool:

18. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

You are right.

There even were reports on Dual configs getting BETTER performance playing Doom 3 if the 2nd CPU was switched OFF using CHUD tools... :eek:

Check this out

19. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

damnit the download keeps being corrupted for me -_-

20. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Download the torrent file, and point your BT client at the corrupted file. It'll scan it, figure out which bits are corrupted, and repair it :)

21. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

why nermal i could make love to you right now, i hope this works0

22. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

So far it only partially works. In 5.1 mode, a bit of conversation drops out near the end of the first level, and then it just quits back to the main menu when loading the second level. Too bad, 'cause it's really nifty. Hopefully Aspyr will release another patch that actually gets 5.1 sound working properly.

--Eric

23. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

*cries* that game scares me so i wont be buying it -_-

24. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Well, your avatar scares me so let's call it even :rolleyes: