Doom 3 for Mac announced

Discussion in 'Games' started by keysersoze, Nov 3, 2004.

1. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

From MacMinute:

"Aspyr Media announced today that it will be publishing a Mac version of Doom 3, the critically acclaimed first-person shooter. "Doom 3's dramatic storyline, pulse-pounding action, and incredible graphics, combine to produce the most frightening and gripping gaming experience ever created. Doom 3 utilizes id Software's revolutionary new 3D graphics engine to create disturbingly realistic graphics, with never before seen detail and real-time lighting. Players can fight the forces of evil as a lone marine or battle other marines in team or deathmatch-based multiplayer modes." The game, which is expected in February 2005, can be pre-ordered now for US$49.99. "

The tech specs can be found here:
    http://www.aspyr.com/noframes.php/games.php/mac/d3/

2. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Well that's good... at least we know it's comming now!

And it's a good thing that Aspyr didn't lie about it running on a G4 like they do about lots of other games. Sure seems like a long time for a port though... guess they're busy working on Men of Valor/Sims2 for the time being.

3. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

Wow... seems like they're really going to be selling to a limited audience... not just the subset of home computer users on Apple, but the subset of those home computer users on Apple who also are lucky enough to have a G5 laying around. Was kind of hoping this title would play on the last revisions of the MDD dual G4 Power Macs.

4. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

It's a little strange that the requirements include a 1.5GHz G5 when no 1.5GHz G5 exists.

5. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

TRUE... that is a limited audience. According to the specs, a new imac qualifies. I think that's BS, and that a dual 1.42 G5 w/9800pro would spank the thong off a new imac...

They do say that system requirements may change...

6. socamx macrumors 6502

7. mowogg macrumors 6502

mowogg

They also require 10.3.6 when that doesn't exist yet either. I think the 1.5 G5 may be a benchmark and dual G4 1.33s might be equivalent.

Either way, those are some hefty specs. :)

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Specs are right, this game needs muscle to run and look well and remember those stated are minimum specs meaning more is better or real world if you will.

9. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

It's about damn time!

And this only goes to prove to all those that were expecting it to run on their G4 PBs... sorry! But hopefully by then you all may have your G5 PBs by Macworld SF :eek:

10. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Does this mean I can run it on my 700MHz FLATSCREEN iMac??

A limited audience indeed. I'm guessing it might be a push for some people to actually upgrade their Mac.

As long as it can be played on the G5 iMacs, it will eventually reach a lot of people. (Although the performance might not be the greatest)

- Mac OS X 10.3.6 or later
    - PowerPC G5 1.5 GHz or faster
    - 384MB RAM (512MB recommended)
    - 2.2 GB free disk space
    - ATI Radeon 8500/nVidia GeForce 3 or better
    - 32MB of Video Ram (VRAM)
    - DVD drive required to install and play

11. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

A 64-bit G5 computer allows for
    • More memory addressing
    • Increased floating point precision
    • and in some instances, two 32-bit ops per clock cycle.
    I really don't understand what they could DO to make it 64 bit. They do not need MORE precise collision detection, and a G4 addresses enough memory... and as far as i know, the G5 automatically preforms two ops when it can. So I don't think they're adding 64-bit code.

I would also like to point out that the G5 is more sudo-64bit than actually 64bit. The reason it's compatible with 32bit code is because it allocates memory same as before (by default) and does everything exactly the same as before (by default), except perhaps grabbing two 32bit memory addresses simultaneously etc... I know alot of you guys use G5s, and i know alot of professors that have xserve racks, G5 towers, etc... Only some of my chemistry professors actually use 64bit memory addressing and preform operations on 64 bit numbers. And the only reason they do, is because they need extreme precision.

I guess what i'm saying is that a G4 has the architecture to run doom3. Now it just comes down to what one's definition of 'run' means.

But as far as writing specific 64bit code, i hightly doubt they need it's benifits. They would be better off using altivec technology (g4 & g5 compatible). If they were to use that, perhaps G4's would run the game. Unfortunately, most vector ops are performed on the GPU these days, which offloads the CPU anyway... so i'm going nowhere and blabbering... cheers...

12. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

FYI it's spelled "psuedo"

On the other side I think we are all aware that a G4 does have the necessary architecture to run D3, however it may have a G5 requirement due to the much higher bus rates present on G5 machines. Since the fastest G4 has a 167 mhz bus, compared to the 1.25 ghz on the dual, this kind of bottlenecking will affect performance highly, IMO.

13. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

sorry, spend too much time in the terminal lately. :eek: (sUPER uSER do)

14. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Actually, it's spelled 'pseudo'

:D

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Im just glad that whoever was doing it can now say so, its good news but if they are saying Feb you might as well plan late March. so much for a christmas release.
    side note this may give apple time to bump up imacs video? maybe? they might as well just say powermac required to play game as intended to be played. yeah it will scare the crap out of you. :cool:

16. tom.96 macrumors regular

I thought the min spec for the PC graphics card was 64mb? How come its lower on the Mac? It does not make sense as all G5s to my knowledge have 64mb cards in them (excluding the education only imac G5). :confused:

17. benpatient macrumors 68000

ouch. well at least they didn't say "6800 DDL required"

18. sebaz macrumors member

Feb 2005...man wait that long for a game that takes 2 weeks to beat, and then will collect dust, forever and ever next to your Carmen San Diego Cds. The lack of a worthy multiplayer options also diminish any long last replay value. I played it on my PC, beat it in 2 weeks, at a normal pace. Will I want to replay it in my powermac g5 2.0 with a 64mb video card? Nope.

Oh well, Im just going to continue to use my G5 for creation, and my pc for gaming.

To everyone that has been waiting for this game, let me tell you some things. First, the game is repetitive. Secondly, is way too easy (even the final can beat in less that 2 minutes). Thirdly, prepare for your machines to be taxed, dont expect alot if you have less than 128mb in your GPU. Finally, the game is good, is it worth waiting like half a year for it, well in my view no. But hey to each his own.

19. applekid macrumors 68020

They're only preliminary. Besides, it's probably only a typo.

I suspect it can go lower as in bring in the last of the MDD G4s to the picture.

20. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

Doom 3...finally for the mac....

I have to change my underwear.....

P.S.
    Carmen San Diego NEVER gets dust time on my desk!!!

21. benpatient macrumors 68000

the problem is that they say specifically that it needs a G5...which is weird because several of the last dual G4s are faster than any of the single processor G5s, especially if they have a 9800 in them, and especially compared to the new iMac.

a dual MDD G4 with a 128mb 9800 is easily going to smoke a new 1.6 iMac at 3d games...no question.

which makes me think that there may be something to the "needs the 64-bit" claims going around. we know that G5s handle certain kinds of math that x86 processors are good at MUCH better than G4s and earlier PPCs did...maybe they aren't doing the usual work-arounds for Doom 3 because they want to maintain some level of performance, and so the old 32 bit PPCs are out...

which would REALLY narrow the potential base of this release...because honestly a 64mb 5200 card in a SP 1.6 iMac is NOT going to cut it above 640x480.

22. hjhhjh macrumors member

it will run on a g4 processor believe me!

those number are recoendations, doom 3 runs on my friends 2.8 ghz p4, with a 32 mb intel vid card and 256 mb ram farely well, note the requirments r much higher for all but CPU

a dual 1.7 ghz g4 powermac kicks the **** out fo any imac g5 btw, so note it will run

the linux version is an example of this

only requires 50% less than what it says on the same hardware, it allows u to run it, but doesnt recomend it because it may run less than 20 fps

23. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

D'oh! :D

Anyhow,

EVERYONE STOP INSISTING THAT IT WILL "RUN" ON A LOWER END MACHINE!!!!!!!!!

Aspyr has TOLD us that it will run MINIMALLY on a G5. Trust me when I say that min specs are hardly performance based; I've barely met the specs for older games on my older computers, and they've all ran like total ass. I would NOT expect this game to run on a G4 "well" at all.

24. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

25. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

You need to stop spreading these lies before you get banned.