Doom 3 for Mac - from the mouth of an employee

Discussion in 'Games' started by grabberslasher, Aug 15, 2004.

1. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

I contacted one of the programmers for Doom3 and here is his response:

"I'm sorry but we are not looking for Mac testers at this point. I understand you would want to play Doom 3 on your Mac, but I must point out that it's likely you would have to upgrade. It is likely the minimum system specs will be G5-class Macs."

(I told him my machine was a 1.5Ghz PB 17)

2. applekid macrumors 68020

With this reply from a programmer and that oingoboingo's Doom 3 thread, I'm a little worried.

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I realize a powerbook isn't a gaming machine, but if Doom 3 can't viably run on a 1.5ghz PowerBook i think there is a serious problem.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Why? Doom 3 is the very latest and greatest. Why would you expect it to run well on a 1.5GHz G4 (old tech, my mac from 2 1/2 years ago is dual 1GHz G4) with a "old" (in gaming terms) 9700?

I'd have thought to have Doom running well you'd need 9800P and above.

5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Because we're still talking abuot a $2799 machine

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Being overpriced old tech doesn't change anything :(

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

If Doom3 doesn't run on a Powerbook 17" then it wont run on any real PC laptop (aka one thats not 4" think and 10lbs). The 17" has a 1.5ghz G4 and a Radeon 9700M. Thats more than Doom3 requires on the PC side. I think that "programmer at id" is full of crap.

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I would never expect a game of this quality to run on any normal laptop (not a brick).

9. tom.96 macrumors regular

So - would the predicted specs for the new imac be OK? Its G5 class but a 1.6ghz G5 don't sound a lot faster than a 1.5ghz G4. Its a tough one to call - a PM is very expensive for most to play games, so I would imagine many people trying it on one of the new Imacs.

Would the game utilise any of the 64 bit goodness of the G5 or is it 32 bit?

Anyone got any thoughts?

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It'll be 32-bit just like everything else, and if the iMac gets the video card that Think Secret has reported then it'll run like sh*t :rolleyes:

11. Flickta macrumors 6502

G4 in PowerBook and in Your Dual PMac are quite different procs. It's not just a G4, its a new flavour of it.

12. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Even a low end G5 SP you can still get for $1299 (1.6) so I don't know where the hell you're getting $2799 from... the dual might run it better but the 1.6 should be able to run it.

13. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Actually with the exceptionof the Rad9700M the only thing that even meets the requirements is the CPU speed. On the PC side the min requirement is a 1.5 ghz Athlon... which we all know is much better gaming-wise than any of our Mac CPUs.

14. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

This game sounds sweet. I hope the programmers aren't emailing or on the phone too much with responding to users or they will never get this program done. Perhaps even the eMac and iBook will have a G5 when Doom 3 is ready so it won't be an issue.

15. tom.96 macrumors regular

Not good! So if I want to run Doom 3 well on the mac min would be a dual 1.8 G5 Pm with Radeon 9800 then? Put a screen with that a its going to be over £2K. I think we mac gamers had better start saving :(

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Maybe, but it's still far from the gaming performance of modern G5/AMD/Intel systems.

17. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

A G5? Ooof! Thats a lot to ask for. I mean I am not expecting Doom 3 to run well at all on my iBook, but I would expect a 1.25 GHz PowerBook to run it fine. Thats sort of annoying

18. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

This is a state-of-the-art game, it will tax the resources of the most advanced modern hardware, why on earth would any of you expect it to run well on the (relatively) under-whelming specs that a PowerBook has to offer :confused:

19. benpatient macrumors 68000

hahahhaha.

sorry. Had to laugh.

BTW, the guy who was talking about the 2799 machine is talking about the top of the line powerbook, not a G5 at all.

all i can say is my more-than-a-year old 600 dollar PC loves it.

20. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Specs? Games settings?

21. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I don't know why ANYONE would be surprised by high system requirements to play Doom 3. It takes top of the top of the line PC hardware to run what most hardcore gamers would say is acceptable on the PC.

I have played Doom 3 on my friends 2.4 P4 with a gig of ram and Radeon 9700 128vram, and when Doom 3 scans the system for best perfomance it recomends that you run it a 800x600 in medium quality. Even then the game hovers just above 30 frames on average, which is accepable by most, but not hardcore PC gamers.

For anyone out there that has played Doom 3, the statement by the id programmer should not be surprising.

22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

This may be a stupid question but...

...by demanding such high specs aren't they putting a limit on the copies they will sell?

23. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You're right, it's a stupid question :D.

Their aim was to make the most advanced game they could possibly create, and to have it perform as well as possible on the best technology has to offer. Pleasing users with older under-par systems would not have been their concern.

24. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It's not about pleasing users, it's about shifting units. No?

Well, I hope I'll get something playable on my system...

25. PlatinumBlade macrumors member

PlatinumBlade

Doom 3

I'm actually quite surprised at how much Id has allowed Doom 3 to scale its performance. I've seen it from both ends of the spectrum. My own system can't handle it beyond high quality 1024X768 resolution and my friend with his 3.2GHz 6800 system runs in passably in ultra detail. The fact that it is only requiring a 1.5 GHz system is simply a statement that they are trying to accomodate a larger base of users but what Doom 3 is really doing is pushing the envelope out a bit further than anything we've seen before.

We need more games like this and some are on the way. Games like this are what fuel developers to create more powerful systems and it should be no surprise that existing systems struggle with games of this caliber. It isn't any different on the Mac. Chances are great that you will need a G5 to run Doom 3. That's just the way things go. It doesn't make sense for a developer creating new content to keep writing it to run on a G3 or Pentium III 933 when there are people out there with high-end systems demanding something that taxes their systems. People say they want to see real-time rendering of lifelike graphics and this game approaches that more than any other but you have to have hardware capable of handling it.

I'm perfectly willing to wait for a polished product that will take proper advantage of the hardware given it not something that was designed to appeal to a mass audience because it was scaled back to accomodate old hardware. If it takes them six months to get it right then so be it. By that time I'll have even better hardware which should run it as easily as my system can run Warcraft now.