Doom 3 for Mac or Xbox?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ipacmm, Apr 5, 2005.

1. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I wanted to get Doom 3 but couldn't decide if I should get it for Xbox now or wait until the new PowerMac's come out and buy it then.

Any ideas on which version I should get.

Mike

2. 36183 Guest

just get it for xbox, at least with that you dont need to worry about garphic settings or performace bugs.

3. andrewfee macrumors 6502

It all depends on what spec Powermac you'd be getting, and what kind of setup your Xbox is hooked up to.

The Xbox should look fairly good, and run at (hopefully) a fairly steady 30 fps at 640x480 (if you're playing in progressive scan)

Depending on the Powermac you get, it could be worse than this, or it could be much, much better.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I almost always buy games for my ps2 over my pc or mac. Its just easier with not install or graphic settings. I know it will 'just work' so to speek.

Now, I did say 'almost'. I hate to play first person shooters with a controller.

5. andrewfee macrumors 6502

Personally, if I still had an Xbox, I would probably just buy it for that too, but as I don't, I might just have to take a gamble and see how it runs on my Powerbook. (maxed out Rev.D 17")

I'm sure it would run fine at 640x480, but then it's not running in the native resolution (1440x900) of the screen so it'll look pretty crap. Either way I'll be waiting until I've got Tiger as it's meant to bring significant performance increases.

Hopefully they'll have a demo out by then though. (if they plan to release one that is) I hate it when demos come out weeks or even months after the game is out. At least with consoles you don't have to worry about how the game will run.

6. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Not sure if you're going to find a powermac that runs it much, much better. The problem is Doom 3 for mac gets some awful slowdown that just kill the action, and the Xbox is pretty much silky smooth no matter what (I did get it to slowdown once in co-op mode though).

If you have a 2.5 GHz G5 and a 6800 Ultra, go for it. If not and you have an Xbox, buy the Xbox version.

7. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi, I got it for my Xbox and my reason is the screen size and the fact I can just kick back 10 feet away and enjoy :D

8. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Runs pretty nice huh? Are you running it in 480p btw?

9. ipacmm thread starter macrumors 65816

ipacmm

Ok, thanks everyone for your input...I think I will just get the xbox version, when I get my powermac, I am sure that it would handle fine, but who knows when apple will come out with the update.

10. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Yes, it runs great execpt when online tonight the host had a slow connection speed or something cause the lag was really bad. As soon as we changed the host it ran fine for the last 4hrs. :D The one guy that was playing said it looked nice on his 53" which is about 2-3wks. old and had some nice cables to hook it all up with.
    In the next few days I'll have more time to see if it acts up in any way.

11. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

I run doom 3 at thelow settings (which look like the highestsettings on any other game) and at a 1024x768 resolution. runs pretty well. Machine in sig. And it will only get better as they optimize it more

12. TheGimp macrumors 6502

According to at least one review of the xbox version (gamespot I believe), it also suffers from slowdown during intense fights.

On anything less than a G5, the xbox version is the way to go. Any G5 w/ at least 1GB of ram and a 9800 pro can play D3 at 640x480 low at least as smoothly as the xbox, and the textures are still higher res at that quality. Remember that even the Nvidia 5200 has much more vram than does an xbox.

13. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Get it for xbox. That way you know it's guaranteed to run well.

14. JordanNZ macrumors 6502a

If he's going to be getting a new powermac.. Forget the xbox!

15. tobio macrumors regular

tobio

I have played the PC original, and I have played the xbox one for the first level, and I noticed that the xbox version of the game is very cut down compared to the original. I only played the first level of the xbox one, and the level is kind of "shrunk down". It is much shorter and there are whole sections missing. presumably to keep the frame rates up and the loading times bearable. I assume this follows throughout the game

There are shadows on people and monsters, but not on all the dynamic level objects, and there seem to be no shadows from moving light sources. For instance there's an area where you are in a circular room with a bright white light revolving around underneath you. In the PC one the room lights up and shadows go everywhere, but the xbox one practically nothing happens, you can see a light but no shadows or anything nice happening.

It does capture the feel of doom3, and if you never played the original you wouldn't know any different. The best analogy i can use to describe it is to compare the original PC version of doom1, to the SNES port.

To get to the point and make this relevant, the mac version is a direct port of the PC one. If you get a current (or better) powermac then the performace should be fine and your overall experiance will be better than the xbox one. If your machine at the moment is way underpowered and you absolutely must play doom3 now then get the xbox one (or buy a cheap pc?)

16. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

But X-box IS for games, and the Mac is NOT REALLY design for games.

I agree with JzzTrump22, get it for the X-box!!! :cool:

17. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I've seen reports of people who have dual 2.0 PM's with a gig of ram and they still aren't completly happy with the way Doom 3 performs on their systems. The xbox versions is guaranteed to run really well and probably smoother then on a powermac. The xbox was designed specifically for games like that. Macs are not designed specifically for games. Thats why he should get it for xbox.

18. benpatient macrumors 68000

the xbox version looks crappy, IMHO.

it's...well, like one person said, all of the levels are shorter and the textures are TINY and the shadows are all-but gone...a PC or a REALLY loaded G5 is the only way to play this game...if you really must play it.

Why anyone would bother with 4-player internet play is beyond me. Doom 2 supported more...

19. ipacmm thread starter macrumors 65816

ipacmm

Well I just picked up the Xbox version and it plays good...it looks like a fun game, but haven’t been really playing it because I also picked up NARC and have been playing it more than I have been playing Doom.