Doom 3 "initializing menu" freeze

Discussion in 'Games' started by frankm007, Feb 3, 2006.

1. frankm007 macrumors regular

I am having problems starting up Doom 3 on my intel iMac. I have attempted to launch the program from the cd, from my HD, updated to 1.3... once the "Initializing Menu" screen pops up, it freezes.

ideas?

2. scott.stevens macrumors newbie

Hi

I think I have an answer for you - I have had exactly the same problem. First thing I did was get in touch with Aspyr who suggested I check the following:

It sounds likely that the problem is just due to a data corruption or conflict of some form. Try the following troubleshooting steps:

Try running the Repair Disk Permissions function of the Disk Utility located in Applications/Utilities. Also, avoid installing the game to Applications or the Desktop; there are permissions conflicts that can arise when games are installed here. Games work best when they are installed in a separate "Games" folder on the top/root level of your hard drive. (If you don't have one already, simply create one.)

If the game is not currently stored in one of the aforementioned locations then sometimes just moving the game is not enough and it is necessary to reinstall. Reinstalling also gets rid of any game data that may have become corrupt. Be sure to trash the game's preferences files located in Home/Library/Preferences, Home/Library/Application Support, or Home/Documents when you do so. Then just trash the current copy of the game and install a new copy--once again, install it into a "Games" folder on your Hard Drive, not into Applications or Desktop.

Let us know if you have any further trouble.

Didn't work for me so in frustration I ejected the DVD after Doom froze on the 'Initialising Menus' screen again (Using Apple+ctrl+esc I think) - lo and behold, the DVD ejected, and the game continued to load as normal. Its worked for me 3 times so far. Aspyr think that the DVD may be dirty - it isn't I've checked. Hope this works for you