Doom 3 install problem

Discussion in 'Games' started by /dev/toaster, Jul 20, 2006.

1. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I know with Quake series (1,2,3 dunno about 4) made it possiable to install using a CD from a different OS. You would download the newest version of the runtime binaries, then just copy over the data files.

However, so far I have not been able to do this. I have been trying for an hour to install Doom 3 using my PC CD. (I am not going to spend the money again to install it on a Mac, and no ... its not currently installed on any PCs)

Any ideas ?

2. /dev/toaster thread starter macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Just an update on this. After screawing around with it for a few hours, I figured it would be time to try it out on a windows machine just to get the file structure. I borrowed a friends windows machine, started to install and realized I was missing a CD. THAT explains why its not running. So, I went tearing my house apart looking for the other 2 CDs (Side note, I found $70 and 2 DVD movies I was missing LOL). I finally found them, then copied the rest of the data over.

Now, I tried to install the OS X binaries ... the patch was complaining it couldn't find the orginal install so I just made a directory called Doom 3.app and another directory inside of it called Contents. Needless to say, that allowed the patch to go.

I also ran into a problem with it not finding the CD. I just made a backup of the first CD and named it "Doom 3". I guess the Mac version comes on DVD rather then CD which explains why that didn't work.

Anyway, after almost 5 hours I managed to get it working. Except, I have no sound. Another hour spent screawing around I managed to get it working, but it cracks and studders like crazy. I found quite a few other boards out there talking about it being a known issue and no work around is known.

ID games in the past have always been easy to install on another platform, I have no idea why Doom 3 was such a pain.

3. /dev/toaster thread starter macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

For those interested, a fix for the sound problems in Doom 3 has been found. I emailed support and got the following response:

There are two problems here. One is that the latest Apple OS X update was missing some very important Open AL files. To fix this use the following link:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosxupdate1047combointel.html

Second the MacBook Pro 17" has a setting conflict with the game, try this:

1. Open Audio MIDI Setup (/Applications/Utilities/), then check the Audio Output setting.
    2. Change the Audio Output setting to 44100.0 Hz and 2ch-16bit,
    3. Quit Audio MIDI Setup.

That fix worked perfect for me, no more studdering sound and the game plays great :D