Doom 3 not playing like butter on 24" 7600GT

Discussion in 'Games' started by sweet160, Oct 27, 2006.

1. sweet160 macrumors regular

sweet160

Hi,

I installed Doom 3 on my two footer, and on max resolution 1900 x 1200 it plays well, but not 100% perfect, for example...

When beam with my flashlight in smokey places, the framerate drops and it stutters until I am past the smoke, then it gets better again.

With the console I used the FPS command and in the right top corner it show 60fps in non crowded places and 26fps in crowded places. but it never feels like the framerate is that high...

I have used High Quality setting,

I tried shadows on/of but it doesnt seem to matter much.

My system is updated to 10.4.8, and Doom to Version 1.3

Does anybody have a idea or suggestion about this?

Thanks !

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Sounds about right to me? Try lowering resolution, or run a timedemo and tell us the result :)

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Doom 3 is a demanding game, especially at 1920 x 1200. I don't think your report sounds unreasonable, given its hardware requirements and the high resolution you're running it at.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Some areas can do that with the Doom 3 engine. I've been playing Quake 4 (just up to the 'operation' bit) and it ran fluid and flawlessly for the whole game until this arena where a rail-gun enemy pops down on some lift. The framerate plummeted. This was on the PC version of Q4 so it isn't limited to Mac OS.

5. sweet160 thread starter macrumors regular

sweet160

TimeDemo

I would like to try this timedemo, but I dont know how to do it, could you tell me?

Cheers :)

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Open console (to access console press Command, Alt (or Control, dont remember correctly :()and ~ buttons.

Once in console, type

timedemo demo1_cache

Try different variables, such as removing the "_" or something else, I just do not remember the exact command :eek:

7. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

8. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I don't know, why don't you tell us? :D

9. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Erm, shouldnt you make sure you have the right command line for console before you start playing in it? I heard if you dont, you can mess up OSX. :confused:

10. sweet160 thread starter macrumors regular

sweet160

to play or not play like butter

its weird, isnt it?

I was just referring to a something Steve Jobs said when he was introducing the 1st intel iMac.

He was scrolling in iPhoto, I think, and he said, "scrolls like butter"

Thats it :D

Any way thanks for the help, I will try the time demo as soon as I come home, less then 3 hours...

If somebody has suggestions on how to get Doom play more butterly or creamy, let me know!

11. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

He's talking about the command console in Doom 3, not the OS X Terminal.

12. seanf macrumors 6502

You're talking about the OS X console, the other posters are talking about a console within the game - no risk to the OS from that.

[edit]Too slow![/edit]

Sean :)

13. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Steve used the Butter reference with the iPhoto improvements. Now it will be a even more popular benchmark reference from now on. :D

A updated driver will probably fix that problem. The 7600GT card isn't a bad card and should be able to handle Doom. Also improvements with 10.5 may help next year. Don't give up on your iMac yet.

14. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Well, obviously the new multithreaded OpenGL in 10.5 will help, but that's not exactly a "here and now" solution. I would've mentioned it. But honestly, for the card, the extremely high resolution, and the game in question, I'd say the OP's framerates don't sound particularly low.

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

You got a gigantic screen and its a lot of pixels to push, Thats the bottom line. In the old days Apple would simply sell that thing with the 7300 in it and tell you you want more then you have to buy a PowerMac.

16. sweet160 thread starter macrumors regular

sweet160

you are probably right, its just that I read a lot of posts in forums, saying its really smooth, so because its not 100 % smooth on my machine, I thought I did something wrong...

Anyway I will do the timedemo command in the console in Doom

and try a few tweaks, like these:

8.0 Optimization guide

==============================================================================

A very useful thing for you to do is to defrag your disk. You will also need to update your Antivirus software as viruses can decrease loading times and cause problems during the loading of your game. Also make shure that there is no spyware on your computer, the best program for this is AdAware. Also make shure that when Doom 3 is on, that Edge Softening and Antisitrophic Filtering are both off or set on application control. The last step before you click the red pentagram is to shut down all background programs, these include eMule, Kazaa, Bittorent, antivirus software, chat programs etc. All this junk takes out your system memory (RAM) and decreases it so that you can't play Doom III the way you want it. Now when you've finally run the game, there are four graphical setting. Low, Medium, High and Ultra. The selection of one of them will affect your FPS rate (Frames per Second rate) so the choice is very important. The Low graphical setting is for Graphical Cards that have 64MB of RAM. The game uses compressed texture sizes 512x512. The sounds aren't that good and the graphics also. Use this setting if you have a graphical card that is lower than GeForce FX 5700 or ATI Radeon 9600 XT. The Medium also uses compressed textures, but the graphics is much better and the sound is also improved. The High quality is used for all the latest PCs and all the monstrous graphical cards that use 256MB of ram. All the textures are uncompressed. The result of this setting is an extremely sharped picture and very good graphics. The last setting, Ultra is unused today and can only be used by 512MB graphical cards, none of todays graphical cards can use this setting, not even GeForce 6800 Ultra. So,
    here is the advised configuration:

seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "1"
    seta image_useCompression "1"
    seta image_downSizeLimit "1024"
    seta image_ignoreHighQuality "1"
    seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "1024"
    seta image_downSizeSpecularLimit "256"
    seta image_downSizeBump "1"
    seta image_downSizeSpecular "1"
    seta image_downSize "1"
    seta image_forceDownSize "1"
    seta image_roundDown "1"
    seta image_lodbias "0"
    seta r_preload "1"
    seta r_useCachedDynamicModels "1"
    seta r_skipBump "0"
    seta r_skipPostProcess "0"
    seta r_skipParticles "0"
    seta r_skipSpecular "0"
    seta r_skipNewAmbient "1"
    seta r_multiSamples "0"
    seta r_shadows "0" //NOTE
    seta r_useOptimizedShadows "1"
    seta r_useTurboShadow "1"
    seta g_projectilelights "1"
    seta g_bloodEffects "1"
    seta g_decals "0"
    seta g_showBrass "0"
    seta g_muzzleFlash "1"
    seta g_doublevision "0"
    seta g_showPlayerShadow "0"
    seta image_anisotropy "1"
    seta image_filter "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST"

What do you guys think, worth a try?

17. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I agree. The 24" iMac is a really good machine with a nice video card, but you're pushing it pretty hard. Those results sound reasonable to me.

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

You have to remember we have the fan club here who will insist stuff is smooth on GMA950 graphic machines. Without stating resolution,graphic settings, memory and whats been turned off so these are meaningless statements. I get a big kick out out of how many times we have heard something is playable then finding out its getting 14 frames a second. Make sure you have the latest patch, try messin with some options, turn off fa/aa lower the resolution. What you have is what you have. Just be glad Apple didnt stick crapo integrated graphics in every iMac because im sure those tight wads thought about it.

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

just let it go :rolleyes: the only one who brings the GMA into topics now is yourself. :eek:

20. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    when the game originally came out it was well know that the game would only play well on the highest graphical settings with a 512MB video card which unfortunately the 7600 in the iMac doesn't have. I'm guessing it's not playing 100% smooth because it's swapping textures around.

21. sweet160 thread starter macrumors regular

sweet160

did you play it on your imac?
    how is the quality on yours?

jus being curious :eek:

22. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i haven't played it on my iMac cause i bought it for Windows when it first came out. i was going to download the demo and try it out but it's not a Universal Application so there's no reason to even try. i'm thinking about borrowing the Mac version from my friend to see how well it runs. i'll let you know how it runs if i do.

23. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Well "smooth" obviously...

24. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Although it can get a bit sloppy in hot weather

25. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I think you missed the obvious joke there.