Doom 3 now works on G4s - Aspyr udated site

Discussion in 'Games' started by grabberslasher, Jan 31, 2005.

1. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I am still really excited to see how this runs on various machines... what's the projected release date now? I'm not so much interested in Doom3 as the games that are sure to be made using it's engine. That looks like our best/only next generation 3d engine choice right now, as Valves Source engine looks liek it will never get ported due to the Havok physics libraries. :(

Rob

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

...Maybe, but don't expect much. Doom 3 really needs the fat FSB that the G5s have.

4. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

check it again look at the min cpu speed right now 1.5 ghz (I do expect that to drop to 1.33-1.25 in the end)

5. Chaz macrumors newbie

Totally. It's going to run like ass on any powerbook out there that doesn't have an ATI 9700. I should know, I bought it for my AMD 1.7 with a 200Mhz bus and a 5700FX. It was mostly unplayable at the lowest settings. When I bought a new mobo (400Mhz) and a 9700, things started looking much better. :)

6. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

There's really only going to be a few Macs capable of playing D3 decently. The iMacs will probably do it, but limp along. The newest PBs with the 9700 and 128mb VRAM will probably do ok. Any of the G5 PMs will be fine of course, as long as they have a decent video card. Sadly, that probably represents 10% of the Macs out there right now.

Rob

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Sorry - double post.... damn new PB story is giving me the server is to busy errors for 5-10 tries when posting. :p

8. DPazdanISU macrumors regular

DPazdanISU

i ordered a mac mini with 512mb ram/1.42-32mb video... I was wondering that even tho they say min. 64mb video can i at least try to play it on my mac mini or will it say inadequete video.....?

9. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Probably not gonna happen. The textures in Doom3 look pretty intense, so without lots VRAM AND lots of fast access to system memory (faster FSB) D3 isn't going to run well on any system.

On the other hand, that mini will probably play games like UT2k3 and the other stuff from that era wonderfully. WC3 is another great one that the mini should run well.

I wish there was a Tribes2 Mac port... it was easily the most fun FPS and was pretty easy on system resources.

Rob

10. James L macrumors 6502a

Glenda Adams (if you follow gaming on the Mac you know who that is) stated on Inside Mac Games a while ago that she has been playing Doom 3 on her powerbook for a while now.

11. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I don't doubt that you'll be able to run Doom 3 on a LOT of different G4 machines; Heck my dual 533 could probably "run" Doom 3 without crashing - but it wouldn't be fun. I doubt that it will be playable on all but a few G4 systems. put it this way - it will run slower than Halo by a good margin

Maybe a 1.42 GHz MDD tower (or possibly an older one with a 1.4/1.5/1.7 GHz CPU upgrade) with a Radeon 9800 and 1GB of RAM. But even that setup or a new high-end Powerbook (with a 9700) would struggle to produce what gamers consider "decent" frame rates. If Doom 3 is something you need, there is only one kind of mac for you - the Powermac G5 with at least a 9800XT, preferably a 6800 or X800. Don't kid yourselves people...this game is super resource hungry.

12. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I have a 1.8 GHz G5, gig of RAM and a Radeon 9800 and expect it to run like crap.

13. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

That depends on what your idea of crap is. :D

I would say that playing Doom 3 on the fastest current G4s would be "crap" to any remotely serious gamer, although there is a chance that we will be surpised at how well they optimized it. Still, I hope nobody is expecting much.

Personally, I don't think Doom 3 is worth the hardware investment right now; If you have a machine that can play it do so, but I wouldn't recommend spending thousands just to get good framerates in this one game.

14. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Aye, there's the rub.

If I were a serious gamer I'd already have something better to play it on!

What a casual gamer who has an affinity for playing FPS will put up with is another matter entirely!

15. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Time for a bet?

What will do better running Doom 3:

a) GeForce 6800 Ultra
    b) Radeon X800 XT

(ofcourse rest of G5 is exactly the same, running 10.3.8)

I'll watch out for BareFeats and xlr8yourmac for tests.
    I do hope they test on Single G5's aswell as the obvious Dual 2.0 and 2.5.

16. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'm interested to know myself.

More importantly, how close will the two cards be? Will one be blown away, or will it come down to a handful of FPS?

17. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

in my count...GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL...as for the mac mini playing it...i hope it can play it...that would be SWEET!!!

18. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I sure hope so, but I think it only will if the drivers are finally updated for games with 10.3.8. Unless they will be, the performance will be worse. At least, that’s my bet.

19. GonzoRob macrumors 6502

GonzoRob

hmmm
    my new 12" PB *just* hits the minimum sys requirements - ok its be slow as hell .. but doom3 damnit :p

20. GonzoRob macrumors 6502

GonzoRob

from Aspyer :
    "# Video Card (NVidia): GeForce FX 5200 or better
    # Video Memory (VRam): 64 MB or higher"

12" specs from apple :
    "The 12-inch PowerBook ships with the NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 with 64MB of DDR SDRAM to kick your 2D and 3D performance into overdrive."

is the Go5200 any worse than the 5200 ?

21. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

bet

I bet the 6800 Ultra - mostly cause that is waht I paid for and thus I really have no choice (financially speaking). :mad:

But I also would bet that the difference betweeen the two cards will not be visible to the naked eye... unless of course you are a Borg :p

And if you are a Borg in a body suit.... heck who's watching the screen anyways! :eek:

22. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I'm betting on the 6800 myself too.

Reasons?
    Well, first and foremost, I own this card... and I'll feel pretty owned if it turns out alot worse than the X800... :D
    Second: I already got an X800... in my PC. ;)
    Third: OpenGL games seem to be faster on the GeForce than on the Radeon on PC's. If the GeForce performs worse than the X800 on the Mac then Apple has serious driver issues. The nVidia has been around for sometime now, and already has had a driver update (10.3.6. to 10.3.7).
    Forth: Do the math: $ 100,- is still alot of money.

In short: the 6800 should do better than the X800. Otherwise this card has only one right to exist: Connect two 30" displays.

23. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Its the biggest no brainer.

Doom3 = nVidia's marketing campaign.

Well, if you are a PC gamer, you would have noticed that advertising explosion that nVidia used Doom3 for in pushing the 6800 line. I bet you won't find a SINGLE review that shows the x800 series winning. It just can't and it won't. If you want to play Doom3, you buy the 6800 for the best performance.

In HL2, UT2k4, i.e. (the other 99% of the games out there)? Its not as simple. As I said in the beginning, its a nVidia game so if you want the best get the 6800. I personally would not b/c the x800XT is very competitive in games other than Doom3 (doom3 does NOT equal all games guys).

24. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I agree, not in the PC gaming world. But the 99% of those other games are DirectX games....
    ... Not so in Mac gaming.
    As all 3D games for Mac are OpenGL, and like Quake 3D did, many future Mac games will be based on the Doom 3 engine.
    The performance of Doom 3 on Mac will be leading. Not on the PC, I agree.

25. benpatient macrumors 68000

just out of curiosity, which games are those?

developers don't seem to be waiting in line to use the Doom 3 engine...

Isn't Quake 4 the only announced license of the engine so far? It's been 6 months since D3 came out and like 4 years since they started on the engine, and there's 1 mentionable license? the Quake 3 engine has had dozens of licensing deals...