Doom 3 on 2nd gen iMac G5

Discussion in 'Games' started by eXan, Oct 30, 2005.

1. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Hey guys, I'm currently waiting for my new iMac G5 (2ghz, 17 inch) to arrive.

I was thinking of buying Doom 3, but I can't find benchmarks for the above system. Can you help?

2. rugonnaeatthat macrumors regular

Do it.

I own the 20in 2Ghz iMac and have completed the demo happily. I was running at 800 x 600 and didn't fiddle too much with the graphics settings, and it was smooth and enjoyable - I'd buy it if I had the time to play it. Of course you could always try the demo first and then buy the game based on your experience. NOTE: I think RAM will influence your performance a great deal, I have 1GB.

BTW I'm told the best way to play it is with headphones on and in a dark room - it's a pretty scary game with a lot of atmosphere.

3. eXan thread starter macrumors 601

eXan

Thanks for the reply. It would be more expensive for me to download 500 MB from web than to buy they entire game :eek:

I played this game (about 2-3 levels) on PC sometime ago, yes I liked it.

Do you have shadows enabled? Cuz I want to play with shadows ON and still get 20+ fps. Is it real?

4. rugonnaeatthat macrumors regular

I had everything on except for the vertical sync, anti aliasing. So yes the shadows were on.

It doesn't run as well on the mac as it does on the PC but you seem to have done your research. It runs in as good a way for you to be immersed and enjoy yourself. I can't comment on FPS - only that it did stutter once in a busy fast paced lots of enemies sort of bit - of course I could have always put it down to 640x480.

Are you waiting for a brand new imac? As mine is the model with the Radeon 9600 in it - I don't imagine you'd have any problems at all with the new imacs card.

5. eXan thread starter macrumors 601

eXan

As I stated in the thread title, its a 2nd-generation iMac, so it has Radeon 9600

6. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

You could always download it from an Apple Store, burn it, or just play it at the store. :)

Shadows are kind of useless in Doom 3 since everything is so dark, I thought...

7. eXan thread starter macrumors 601

eXan

Nice advice ;) though unfortunately I don't live in the close proximity to the Apple Store, and closest Apple Store to me is Tokyo :( (Look at my location)

Still shadows are really cool in D3, and there are some lights in the game ;)

8. Atlasland macrumors 6502

Hi,

I have Rev B iMac G5 2GHz 20" with the RAM maxed out to 2GB. I have Doom3 (the full game, not the Demo).

It is playable, but it is too slow. When there's little action on screen it is fine, however when you are going around shooting people, it is WAY too slow.

I can't remember what grphics settings I used, but they weren't very high. Maybe I'll try it again later, with the settings all on the lowest possible. Also loading times are long.

As it stands I wouldn't recommend it, though it might be woth it to satiate your curiosity & 'benchmark' your system. £20 on eBay - thats what I did.

9. eXan thread starter macrumors 601

eXan

Sorry, no eBay in Russia