Doom 3 on a Powerbook... personal review by me

Discussion in 'Games' started by JeDiBoYTJ, Mar 18, 2005.

1. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

i've noticed the lack of personal reviews out that, and the recent thread "has anyone PLAYED Doom 3 yet" has inspired to me write a short review...

Ok, so yeah I bit the bullet and went out and purchased Doom 3 for mac yesterday... knowing not to expect it to run on "ULTRA" graphics or anything.

My Powerbook satisfies the absolute minimum requirement for Doom 3, except that I have 1GB of RAM.

So I loaded it up. Installation was smooth (simple drag 'n drop). Then I launched it. It bounced a couple times in the dock before fading away into Doomsville. Menu Initialization took only a few seconds before the iD intro video played. the Menu then loaded and I selected New Game. being the wuss I am I selected 'Recruit' :p . It then proceeded to load the intro exposition videos. after that, I was fully launched into Doomsville. I started walking around. first couple steps it studdered a bit, but then it proceeded to smooth out. walking around the Mars Facility, I was seeing a constant 25fps or so. I then looked to see what settings it was on. 640x480, Low Quality. Those are the settings it automatticaly choose for my setup. I walked around some more and noticed that even though its on low settings, the game still looks beautiful... im sure its not as good as running it at 60fps on Ultra graphics, but its way more than good enough for me.

When I first encountered the Doom creatures, the fps dropped down to about 20fps, and it began to studder slightly. after that it was fairly smooth. So far im able to run around and shoot the monsters without too much of a drop of in fps.

I also decided to test the Multiplayer mode, which I found to be a little dull. not too many rooms out there to play in. But one good thing is the fact that its Mac - PC compatable, so I was playing with a bunch of PC users who didnt know they made Doom3 for the Mac :p

So theres my small review. Feel free to ask any questions. :)

2. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

Thank you

Fianlly - a positive review with somone who can be objective and not complain that we do not get 413 fps - I'll give up 380 of those fps to not use windows!!!!

I'm fairly confident that I'm in a good position, but it is good to hear that 100% setting is not required 100% of the time to make the game enjoyable.

Thanks again

Irie

3. TheGimp macrumors 6502

What happened to your fps once you got the shotgun? That's where it started really taxing my Nvidia 5200, even on a G5.

4. JeDiBoYTJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

when I take it out, its usually the first shot that chops things up a little, then it gets better from there

5. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

One thing that I have noticed is that the resolution doesn't seem to matter. I've got it at 1900 x 1200 and its no different from the lowest setting.

The only thing that ever slows my machine down is the opening of doors. (new textures to load.... doors with windows don't do anything) and thats only like 3 frames for like half a second. :D :cool:

6. JeDiBoYTJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I decided to raise my resolution to 800x600, no performance hit at all.

I also unpacked the pak001-004.pk3 files, and it helped a little

I ran a timedemo just now, and it showed an average of 24fps and the only time it would get any lower is when a monster jumps out and attacks, or when a door is opened.

Overall, just walking around - constant 60fps
    opening a door/loading new textures, drops to about 30fps
    monster jumping out - goes down to about 12fps
    attacking the monster - goes back up to about 25fps

overall, a very playable experience

7. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

Since my computer : RevC 12" pBook (1.33ghz, 768ram) was under the recommended specs, I tried a cracked copy of Doom that my friend gave me.
    To my surprise, I was able to run the game rather well, so I think I might actually buy the game.
    Its scary stuff, though- not be able to see what/where you're shooting.

one question- how are you guys getting framerates?
    ---
    edit: Thanks, framerates have now been posted. Let me revise what I wrote above: I had arrived at the conclusion that it was playable at 1024x768 before I actually made it to the scientist. Once H e double L breaks loose, you can't play at that rez and expect it to be fun. :eek:

8. JeDiBoYTJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

enter the console - hit Control Option ~

then type in com_showfps 1

and the fps will show in the upper right hand corner

or, if you want to do a benchmark, type in 'timedemo demo1' - which will then run a quick demo and see how long it takes your computer to go through it. my guess is that your machine will be somewhere in the 18-20fps, which is just an average.

9. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Thanks for the personal review!

Just wondering if you are playing on a 64 VRAM. My powerbook seems similar to yours, except I have a 128 VRAM. Does this help with the frame rate?

Have you finished the game yet? And is the multiplayer as fun as Halo?

Thanks!!! :D

10. manicdvln macrumors member

I played this game on a PC with high quality gfx and 1280 rez around 40-50 fps. It don't matter, you know why?

THIS GAME SUCKS! Let me summarize game, a half life wannabe storyline with 1-2 enemies per room (usually one of them always comes behind of you) with boring logs, security numbers and try to find door keys.

Multiplayer: 1989 called, it wants its game back. What boring and unoriginal mulliplayer. 4 players deathmatch. Wowie!

Good thing I warez'ed it, games like these don't deserve your money.

11. JeDiBoYTJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

Im sorry you feel that way. I find it to be a very fun and creepy game. I dont tend to analyze every little thing about a video game, I just like to enjoy them.

I also didnt get this game for Multiplayer... thats why I have Xbox Live and Halo 2 :)

Half-Life wannabe game? guess what, the Mac doesnt have Half-Life 2, so Doom is doing just fine for me. Have a nice day, and dont let the door hit your A** on the way out :)

and Eevee, I only have the stock 64VRAM. I can only imagine what 128 will do, but I dont think its too much of a difference. maybe a few fps, or better detail at best.

12. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

lol an HL2 fanboy on MR? Will wonders never cease. I've played both D3 and HL2, and to each his own. D3 definitely has the horror movie *jump* factor down though.

Remember to turn the volume up, and the lights down ;)

13. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Doom 3 can be really fun when you put yourself in the state of mind of the marine on the Mars facility. Especially at high resolutions and shadows turned on, the experience is unlike any other game. I take my time walking around as if I am really there. Doom 3 is not a run and gun type game. I believe it's more intimate and it allows you to experience the game in complete darkness, and especially fun if you have 5.1 surround.

I'll play Doom 3 again, when powerful video cards, updated patches and OpenGL updates and 5.1 sound cards are available for the Mac. Doom 3 is merely a showcase of the technological achievements in 3D programming.

14. JeDiBoYTJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

surely amazed me... lol. I have seen Half Life 2, and it looks like a damn good game... if only it was for mac too.

Doom 3 definatly has the horror movie feeling to it... I found myself being startled a few times... and I walk into rooms slowly. I also find myself taking out a shotgun and saving before I open a door, lol. of course, whenever I do that, there is no enemy there, but when I forget to take out my shotgun... BAM :eek: lol

15. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

Thanks for the review. I have almost the same set up as you, so I was really wondering how it would do. I have the 128 video card, so maybe I can do a little better. ;) Either way, looks like my wallet may have just taken a hit!

16. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I was really impressed by doom 3 when i saw it running on a pc on display at Microcenter. It looked amazing. I'm going to attempt to run it on my powerbook (specs in my sig). I know it will probably barely run. I'm thinking about adding a 1 gig stick of ram, giving me 1.2 gigs. I hope i can run it like that. Still probably not because i lack the prcessor power.

17. JeDiBoYTJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

your setup is practically better than mine, minus the RAM.
    You have 128VRAM, and a faster HD. So im sure you will get similar, if not better results than I did.

18. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

An update: Time Demo

Okay, so I ran the timedemo with my settings at 1024 x 768, High, shadows, no AA. I got 2,148 frames in 231.8 seconds for an average 9.3 FPS! :eek:

:mad:

19. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Will I be able to run it on my Dual 1 ghz mdd G4? I have 1gig ram, Nvidia geforce 4 ti and 200gb of space. Does the game take advantage of dual processors?

20. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

The game does not take advantage of dual processors :(

I think the speed of your drives, will be more important than space available. I'm running the game on my Rev C Powerbook, so I'm crippled by the 4200rpm drive. :(

Your GeForce 4 Ti may be a bit of a laggard on the game. I hope it has at least 64 MB vRAM.

Let us know how you do. (Just not in this thread- powerbooks only ;) )

21. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

More Time Demo Numbers

1024 x 768, Ultimate, FSAA 16x, Shadows, (that's right, everything )

Lets just say it was BRUTAL. My fans were the loudest I've ever heard them. I thought my computer would melt.

Ready? If you still believe Macs are top of the line gaming machines, don't read on!!

Enough with the warnings, though: 2, 148 Frames in 793.1 seconds, for an average of 2.7 FPS :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

----------

The good news is that the game is definitely still playable.

How, do you ask? No, not at those settings. I redid the demo at the following:

640 x 480, all settings OFF, low quality.

2,148 Frames in 97.5 seconds, for an average !! 22 FPS !!

Finally, we've hit playable. *whew* ;)

22. JeDiBoYTJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

but im sure those whole 2 frames you saw every second looked beautiful :p :p

23. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

nice mini review... I especially liked how you broke down the framerate fluctuations depending on the situation.

When you have some time, I'd love to add your benchmarks to our database. If you're up to it, I'll post exact requirements.

24. takminator macrumors newbie

HD matters?

Thanks for your benchmarks for the Powerbook. I have the same Powerbook as yours with 512 RAM only and 5400 HD. Why does the HD speed matter in this game s much? Does the FPS get affected by how fast the HD is accessed?

25. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Does this mean you have to change your name to ppcisslow?