Doom 3 on Mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by noelmac75, Jan 15, 2003.

1. noelmac75 macrumors regular

Is Doom 3 coming to the Mac? If so When, and what sort of graphics card would you need to use, what other good games are out there?

Why is there no decent footie games out there for the mac?

2. 8thDegreeSavage macrumors 6502

It definatley is..it was first demoed i believe by John Carmack(programmer guru) from ID at Macworld Tokyo on Mac hardware.

It is going to be OSX only and i think it may even have a dual release....Carmack says great things about OSX all the time...so i think he is enjoying programming on the Mac platform.

3. Jeffx342 macrumors regular

Its also going to be for Pc too, not just Os X.

I have the Alpha edition for the PC :)

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

He meant OSX only as in not for OS9. I don't expect a dual release meaning PC and Mac at the same time but it should come out around the same time.

5. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

carmack made a statment back in august/september that doom3 was up and running on 10.2, so it should see the light of day very soon after the pc release. i think that the initial specs called for a card with at least 64 megs of memory (that's at least) so if you want to get frame rates that are at all decent (especially on a mac) you will probably need a geforce4ti or a radeon 9700 (although 9000 should work). this is one of those games that probably will not run at 60fps when it's maxed out on any computer at the time of release.

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

There is a leaked "demo" of Doom 3 for PC hanging around on the internet.
    A friend of mine has it, and runs it on a 2.5 GHz P4, 512 MB RAM, GeForce 4 Ti 4600. And he says, that his PC config is quite minimal for the game.
    The "Demo" consists of 3 playable levels (resloution: a fixed 640 x 480 !!!) but mostly you're looking at rendered movies similar to the Doom Legacy movie (ya know... the bathroom scene where a monster is eating a zombie). It is really awsome and very scary...:cool:
    What's really scary is the hardware necessary to run it. I don't think a dual G4 1 Ghz with a Radeon 9000 or GeForce 4 Ti will be sufficient.....

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i completly agree with you. it will take a nice mac to play this game. i think the best part about it is that id actually codes for the mac, they dont make a crappy port or anything. them and games by blizzard are the only games i see that run actually good on a mac.

iJon

8. Jeffx342 macrumors regular

9. ibjoshua macrumors 6502a

ibjoshua

Geez!!

I still can't quite believe those graphics even though I've seen a quite few screenshots posted on different web sites now.

I don't know if anyone has done this for OSX yet but slashdot.org has posted a story about two different ways to covert a Redeon 9500 into a 9700. One is a solder job and another is a Windows software hack.

Anyone know anything?

i_b_joshua

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Seeing how Carmack already demonstrated the game on a Dual/GHz PowerMac pre DDR running a Ti 4600 I don't think your statement is completely correct.

11. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

12. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Oops, sorry... I didn't see that demo. Any idea where I would be able to see it?

13. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I believe it was at MacWorld NY or SanFran a year ago.

Also here is an older test showing the FPS potential of the Dual/DDR PowerMacs.

http://www.barefeats.com/p4game.html

14. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Ahhh, wasn't that the "nVidia GeForce" show-off? But that was hardly the playable game, just some (very cool) rendered movies of the extraordinary details on faces, no shooting or eating... :)

15. 8thDegreeSavage macrumors 6502

It was first introduced at MWTokyo...2001. I think.