Doom 3 on Mac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by jcook793, Jul 14, 2004.

1. jcook793 macrumors regular

2. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I just say this as well. I hope it comes out for mac soon, It would be a good excuse to upgrade my video card, that and WOW when it comes out.

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Doom 3 has been the single most anticipated piece of software ever....

"will it come to Mac?"
    "we have seen the demo a couple of years ago (GeForce 3 MWTokyo)
    "ofcourse it will come to Mac! John Carmack loves OpenGL and Mac!"
    "no way... M$ makes sure it comes to Xbox first... then PC... Aspr will port it in 2005"
    "will it need a G5?"

Personally I believe it will come to the Mac.... and fast too. Id's past games (Quake series especially) have all come to the Mac, and even the Quake 3 demo was first out on Mac!
    I hope that Doom 3 comes bundled with the nVidia GeForce 6800 as Half Life 2 for PC comes bundled with a Radeon 9800 XT....
    Then I'll be getting my Doom 3 for free!! ;) :) :p :D

< NO WAY >

4. web_god61 macrumors regular

web_god61

Do you guys think that DooM 3 or Half-Life 2 (assuming it comes to mac) will be playable on the 12" iBooks (1 Ghz model) .........

If not then ill have to keep my PC around when i get my mac ....hopefully it's soon, just waiting for the bling bling.

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I assume these to be the minimal requirements for Doom 3:

Single 1 Ghz G4 (or Dual 533)
    512 MB RAM
    Radeon 9000 (or 8500) or better
    nVidia GeForce 3 or better
    32 MB VRAM (think of difference in Mobility grfx cards)

But I bet ya, these specs will only allow it to run.... not look pretty. Expect lowest res and least detail.

Probably need Dual 1 GHz G4 with 128 MB VRAM (Geforce 4 Ti, ATi Radeon 9700 or better) 1 GB RAM... "good quality"

Probably (Dual ?) G5 with Radeon 9800 or better for "optimal" performance.

Something like that.

6. benpatient macrumors 68000

HL2 will not ever see the Mac.

D3 probably will.

I can say with some great certainty that it will NOT ship for Mac next month when the PC version hits stores.

early next year if you're lucky.

By then maybe there will be a Mac that can run it fairly well....today's machines are going to be struggling out of the box.

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

HL2 will be ported by Aspy or Feral somewhere in 2005....
    Doom 3 shouldn't be much of a problem for a Dual G5 with Radeon 9800...
    The question is... what about a Dual G4? or Single G5? or Radeon 9600 or less?

I am lucky... I own a Dual 1.25 GHz G4 with Radeon 9800 Pro Retail (1.5 GB RAM) and a Dual 1.8 GHz G5 with Radeon 9800 OEM >>> ordered the 6800 Ultra (with 1.5 GB RAM), and so I am VERY willing to test these two machines running Doom 3!!! :D

8. applekid macrumors 68020

Not going to judge anybody's comments, since I've stated by opinions many, many times already, and most of what I read is inaccurate.

But...

HOW MANY THREADS DO WE NEED ON DOOM 3?!

9. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

doom RULES!!!! DOOM PWNS YOU! APPLE KID!!!
    oh btw, DOOM 3 on an iBook? 1ghz/??? nope, sorry the iBook isnt quiet a "gaming" machine, try more like a Powerbook...sorry to break the bad news, Q3 runs great on my iBook 600mhz tho! :p :D

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Conversely, I'm expecting both versions on a hybrid CD.

Edit: The linked page says that the US release is on 5/8 with international releases to follow afterwards. Interestingly, a local reseller has it listed for release on 3/8.

11. bitfactory macrumors 6502

bitfactory

i agree - it's just an executable, like Quake.

i expect it to be a download from their (incredibly slow) FTP server.

NO WAY it'll be 6 months, that's just silly.

12. web_god61 macrumors regular

web_god61

:( I'm still hopeing it will be playable with everything set to low. I can't afford a powerbook.

13. A Mac Gamer macrumors member

I second that. I hope you just buy the PC version then download the Mac executable, and bam! Doom 3 for your Mac. :)

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

15. applekid macrumors 68020

Good enough for you non-believers?

Too bad there's a small delay, but it shouldn't be surprising.

16. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

"when it's done..."

:rolleyes:

17. justin216 macrumors 6502

justin216

HL2 has but one problem in coming to the Mac platform...it is so interwoven with DirectX now, which Mac will never have....Valve would have to rewrite the code to the game in order to support OGL aswell, thus having two code paths...Highly unlikely that this would happen now. With DirectX managing all copmmunications inside HL2 aswell, if there was a port using a different rendering engine, you could not play PC vs Mac games, which if you remember correctly, is one reason there was no HL1 released for Mac. In my opinion, HL2 is near impossible to port over successfully.

Doom 3, however, will be quite a bit easier to port over since it still can use OGL natively. I'd also say that system specs would be quite high, even higher than a single 1ghz G4. I'd say that it would take more along the lines of a 1.25/1.33 G4 as bottom line processor, with at least a 64mb graphics card, and thats all for lowest detail. I'd bet that even a G5 would hiccup occasionally.

Doom 3 on Mac: Definitely
    HL2 on Mac: Highly doubtful

18. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I think you’re wrong on some points. Porting DirectX games has been done before and porting companies know how to deal with it, so that’s no reason why it won‘t come.

And AFAIK, HL wasn’t cancelled because of the missing PC-Mac networking compatibility, which indeed worked, but because Valve didn’t want to keep both versions up to date (which would have resulted in missing network compatibility, which gives your point some truth again).

But I agree that a HL2 port seems rather unlikely at this time.

19. web_god61 macrumors regular

web_god61

I've gone throught the web in search of specs for Doom 3 and I found that people who were playing the ""Demo Version"" got it running ok with a P3 1.3 and a Radeon 9700 128MB , I also found a few people how got close to playable with around a Duron 1 Ghz and Radeon 9000 ?MB. Also keep in mind that the ""Demo Version"" is unoptimized. So i think that the specs people belive they need are highly over exagerated.

20. benpatient macrumors 68000

the problem is that all HL2 updates will be happening through Steam, and there will never be a mac version of Steam. They are more concerned with the 200,000 people running it RIGHT NOW than with the few hundred mac users who might want to join in...

Valve has made it clear that Steam is their future, even more so than the Source engine, and that everything they want to do, they are going to do through Steam. If on some off chance HL2 is ever released for OS X, it will be mostly unsupported, will lack all the feature updating that Valve plans to do to the PC version through Steam, and it won't be compatible (on the network front) with every other copy of HL2.

like i said before. Doom 3 was probably going to happen, but not for months. HL2 isn't going to happen, unless it happens years from now.

21. DrBoar macrumors member

DOOM 3
    System Requirements : Windows 2000/XP, Pentium 1.4 GHz, 256MB RAM, 64MB DirectX 9.0 compatible 3D graphics card, Windows compatible sound card, 12X CDROM, Keyboard, Mouse

With the sound of the CPU and handled by the sound card in the PC but not in the mac, I expect the dual 1.42 GHz G4 to be marginal and the other G4 even worse, so for us without a dual G5 I think it will be like playing Unreal with a 604 CPU...
    IBM were are you?

22. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Remember, a dual G4 is going to be a lot faster than a single Pentium.

23. applekid macrumors 68020

Not quite. I'm sure Doom 3 will offload data to a second processor, but I'll say that only takes from 2-20% of the load. It's most likely going to be sound data that goes to the second processor. Now, if id made some cool adjustments for the Mac version using up more of the second processor for things like physics and AI, that would definitely say a dual G4 is better than a single Pentium.

24. DrBoar macrumors member

These speculation really depends if DOOM 3 will be
    1.fully SMP like QuakeIII then a dual 800 might work
    2. Offloadning sound to the other CPU, then we are up at 1.4 GHz or so duals
    3. No dual CPU usage what so ever and no soundcard on the mac then we in reality are into G5 only.

Perhaps there will be support for M-Audio sound cards in DOOM3 and in OS 10.4 and many other things.

But the writing is on the wall, the top of the line G4 CPUs will soon not meet the minimum game requirements, just like the Pentium III that also is parked at 1.4 GHz. The difference is that the P4 is somewhat more prevalent in the PC population than the G5 is among the Macintoshes :rolleyes:

25. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Hmmm.... DirectX 9.0 compatible card?

I thought (also hoped) this game would be OpenGL. Or is this monster also DirectX rendered?

I assume the 64 MB VRAM grfx card requirements will be the same for Mac.