DOOM 3 preformance Boost

Discussion in 'Games' started by dollystereo, Aug 15, 2005.

1. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2004
    Hey guys, I got Doom3 3 days ago, and my Dual 2.3 G5 with its crappy R9600 doesnt make the job, so I found that you could make some good improvementes doing the follow:
    -first Patch the game to the lastest
    -Go to the config file, and change this
    seta image_useCache "0"
    seta image_cacheMegs "20"
    seta image_cacheMinK "200"

for this

seta image_useCache "1"
    seta image_cacheMegs "x" (where x is the 1/4 of your ram, i put 512)
    seta image_cacheMinK "20480"

Ok now you have more ram for textures and rooms, it will not increase FPS but rooms will load fast.

Now the big part, the game is all compressed in pk4 files, there are located in Apps/Doom3/base
    now go and decompress with stuffit:

And delete the originals after doing it:
    NOW YOUR GAME IS LAIKE 3GB but it loads and plays much faster than before

2. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2004
    This has been discussed before, and apparently isn't true. You will probably lose performance, not gain it. (Among other people, one of the programmers of the game says so....)

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    He should be utilizing the time demo included with the game to see if any real increase is to be found. Kind of sad that a brand new dual 2.3 G5 cant satisfy. PPC getting the boot is years overdue.
  4. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2004
    Man, I was hoping the OP would just say:

'Buy a PC! LOL!'
  5. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2004
    A brand new dual 2.3 with a 9600. Replace that with a modern card, like an X800, and it's fine. Still not as fast as an equivalent PC, but that has nothing to do with PPC per se, but the porting process. If it was designed for PPC first and then ported to PC, the PC people would be getting less performance....

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    Too bad the game isn't SMP compatible either. Part of the "Power" in a PowerPC PowerMac (lots of "Power" here :D ) is its Dual CPU config.
    Great for most things in Mac OS X except gaming. A PowerMac loses its power when it comes to games unfortunately... (discussed to death BTW... ;) )

BTW, I got a GeForce 6800 Ultra in my (Dual) 1.8, and Doom 3 loves this card. Get this baby in the (Dual) 2.3 and the game flies! :cool:
  7. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2004
    I teseted those config settings with the time demo on my PB, but I didn't see any improvement. In fact I saw a small decrease. (I know, results can be different for each machine. They might actually help on the PM)

I didn't unpack the pk4 files.
  8. dollystereo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2004
    you will not gain FPS

But you will gain load speed, and you should see if doom is recognizing the full memory in your card, cause in my G5 it only saw 64MB.