doom 3 question....

Discussion in 'Games' started by jaykub, Aug 19, 2004.

1. jaykub macrumors newbie

ok, I'm new to mac (just got my 1st about a month ago) and I hear that doom 3 is just sick but its not out for mac yet, and theres all this debate about whether it will run right on older systems, etc....well my question is this.... my mac is a dual 1.8 G5, a gig of ram, 80 gig harddrive, and a "geforce fx 5200" so will I be able to run doom3 when it is available for mac? or will i have to buy a bunch of upgrades?

also, what are some really good/intense FPS for the mac? (excuse my ignorance, I know this post reeks of nOOb)

2. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

that g5 will run fine on that.

Some people say it will require a g5 but i have heard from the mouths of some ID testers themselves (a few of my friends) it will minimally run on a 2*1.25 ghz g4 with 64 meg video card and 512 meg ram. But thats just wut ive heard.

[edit: i have just chatted with one of them and he said its a dual 1.25 not single!]

3. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Doom3 will come to the mac. When? ...probably before the end of the year.

You're gonna need a faster video card. The 5200 sucks ash. I'd recommend one of three options. 1) buy an ATI 9800 Pro SE mac edition. it's a good card, and you'll play doom3 at a decent res with decent settings. 2) Wait for ATI to release the X800 for the mac -who knows when though... 3) Fork out 600 bucks for the nvidia 6800 Ultra. nobody has tested this yet... and nobody really knows how well it works... but it is known that it runs everything fast enough.

If you are sticking to your stock config, doom3 will suck... maybe even been unplayable. If you are looking for current games that will run on your system, i'd go get Medal of Honor: Allied Assult... the multiplay is awesome. Call of duty is lots of fun too... better than MOHAA, but i don't know if your card will run this game as well...

I had placed an order for the nvidia card, but cancelled it because i want to see how well it works first. Also, I'm not pushing 30" monitors, so i don't think it's ideal. So i'll see what ATI pulls out of their hat... if they do pull anything out. So anyway, in the meantime personally, i am just sitting this round out with mac gaming. I want to know all options, and how well each works.

Best of luck to your decision.

4. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

We don't know yet

Bottom line, we do not know. Speculation puts Doom 3 requirements as pretty darn high.

For good performance, the more the better. Doom 3 is one of those games that needs all three factors to perform well. Good Processor, RAM, and GPU. You have the CPU down with Dual G5. Your RAM should be 512 or more, just because, and your GPU is not wonderful, but I seriously doubt it will be a poor performer.

I myself have no friends inside ID, although I see a lot of that on message boards.....

But, lets be realistic. Apple is a marginal market, and they want to sell games. If they make a game that requires a machine that Apple has trouble even shipping and a model where video and graphic professionals are the main customers it does not sell too many copies of Doom 3. That said, I am SURE Doom 3 will operate on a whole spectrum of Macs. Probably around the 1.25 or better with 64 video ram. At LOW settings it will run ADEQUATELY for mere mortals. Will it be fun? Sure. Will it be flashy? Not so much. Will YOUR mac run it at top notch performance with all eye candy on and allow you to get max FPS? nope. But unless you are a hardcore pro, it won't matter too much.
    At this stage, ultimate gaming is not the domain of the Mac.
    So, for you, I would sit back and wait. It is not yet out for the mac due to a variety of reasons and rumors. I believe optimization on older machines to be a big one. In due time, when the performance is adequate it will be released. Look at the PCV requirements, they are above average for a minimum, but not outrageous. You have a better video system than the majority of PCs in the world (NOT specialty game machines however).
    Take a look at http://www.insidemacgames.com I would tend to trust their reporting over message boards if only because they actually do interviews with the folks at ID.

5. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

For those of you that think you're going to have to go out and get the 6800 for Doom 3, don't think that. The Radeon 9800 works great, and the 9600 is just as good.

6. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

I'll leave the commentary on Doom3 and the GeForce FX 5200 to the others who have already posted in this thread. Good/intense FPS games for the Mac include Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and its expansion packs (Spearhead and Breakthrough), Unreal Tournament 2003 and Unreal Tournament 2004, Battlefield 1942, Call of Duty and Halo.

If you haven't played any of the Medal of Honor series before, I'd say skip them and go straight to Call of Duty. It's much the same thing, but more polished overall. Otherwise, if you've already played Medal of Honor extensively, CoD doesn't feel like much more than a high-tech expansion pack (IMHO, YMMV). Unreal Tournament 2004 is outrageously fun, especially the Onslaught game mode. I bought my copy of UT2004 soley for Onslaught :) Halo is pretty intense in parts, and (in my opinion) has a good storyline too. I've only played it on Xbox and I hear it runs relatively badly on the Mac, but you might want to check it out anyway.

You can download demos of Medal of Honor, Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 and Call of Duty, so you might want to poke around www.macgamefiles.com or somewhere similar and try before you buy. They will also have other games there which aren't included in my very non-comprehensive listing here.

7. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

haha oingoboingo...that guy rules...anyways, doom3 hopefully comes to mac end of year or early next year...hopefully...as for the requirements, im guessing ID might be waiting for the keynot address in paris...maybe theyll release a new computer??? a new g5 perhaps??? anyways, i doubt that itll run GOOD on a dual g4, those might be the lowest requirements tho...i could be wrong :)

8. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

5299 sucks?

I have a FX-5200 (128mb DDR400) in my PeeCee gaming rig(athalon XP-3200 @2.2GHz 512MB DDR-400) and it runs doom 3 just fine at 800x600 full screen anti ailasing and all the other guchi stuf turned on at a minimum framerate of 32fps in game sustained (65fps peak) and 70fps in the menues so the 5200 is a capable inough card.

9. Flickta macrumors 6502

It runs like crap (all options off) on fujitsu-siemens centrino equipped 1,5 Ghz 512 Mbs integrated video notebook. But it RUNS. So, maybe even Powerbook owners will be able to play the game. (But at that quality level it looks like Doom 2)

10. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Tom's Hardware had an awesom analysis of video card performance for Doom 3. Yes they are PC, but you can kind of get an idea of where your card will fit in. Check this link out:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040809/index.html

11. jaykub thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys, I really appreciate it......I think when D3 comes out for mac I'm just going to fork over for a badass card (maybe the nvidia 6800ultra) but is that thing really 600 bux? damn

12. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Even specular? Wow... it must look like crap.

13. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Goodluck buying one... I don't think they'll hit retail... you'd have to get one on ebay.

14. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Quake III is still a great game, is cheap, has alot of mods available, and is more or less guaranteed to run like buttah on any modern Mac.

15. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

No Apple sells 6800 ultra separately, not just with G5. I have one on order "on or before 8/25"

16. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

You'll have to let us know how well it plays the most demanding games...

17. Windowlicker macrumors 6502a

Windowlicker

i have a rev a 2x1.8 and call of duty runs well on it. i'm using 1024x768 resolution just to make sure it won't get jerky at any point.

18. Brundlefly macrumors member

Brundlefly

OPEN GL GAMES.

Doom is utilizing open GL, I think you will be fine on any G5 system, even with a 64 meg card it will play, 128 megs to get it up to the medium to high resolutions.

I have it on my PC, with a 256 meg x800 XT, at 1600x1200 4x antialiasing and high texture filtering, very scary, looks amazing.

19. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

Is there any actual concrete evidence that it is coming out on mac!?

20. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

21. benpatient macrumors 68000

first off...the 5200 in the G5 is a crippled one...only 64mb of RAM.

secondly, unless you turned it off, there is a 60fps cap on doom 3, sometimes it will "bounce" and report an instant fps above 60, but since that rate doesn't last for a full second, it can hardly be called your frames per second, can it?

If anyone wants to know how a 64mb card will run doom 3, just head over to hardocp or tomshardware or one of the other hardware review sites. They've all given doom 3 the run-down with a lot of different hardware. The results are clear: 64mb isn't enough unless you're expecting xbox-level graphics...something that will look fine on a TV but not on a monitor.