doom 3 release date

Discussion in 'Games' started by thoughtcriminal, Nov 5, 2003.

1. thoughtcriminal macrumors newbie

hello.
    on amazon both the pc and xbox are to be released on 27 February, 2004, but no sign of the mac version, oh dear.
    i know plenty of sites put up some random release date, but i believe amazon, being such a large company.

2. bastardx macrumors member

I wouldn't, I was waiting for a music CD to be released, they said October 26th, and they still say that to this day, in spite of the record company delaying it to January. It will probably be released later than that, especially any sort of mac version.

3. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

There is no official release date of yet. So don't believe any date any site claims to have.

Also, its quite possible that both PC and Mac versions will be included in the same box - which cuts down on having to print seperate boxes, manuals, and pressing different CD's.

4. howard macrumors 68020

howard

does anyone ever listen to release dates anymore?

or a better question...

are the release dates ever right anymore...

or another question..

why do companies even have release dates?

they should start saying... "we think we may have some sort of product that we may work on and for all we know come out sometime in the future"

5. thoughtcriminal thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, that's id software's idea, they do just say "when it's done", should be a law against resellers saying a release date, but amazon must have got this date from somewhere!?

6. thoughtcriminal thread starter macrumors newbie

after checking google, it seems this date is listed on alot of sites, but still no mention of mac, oh well.

7. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

There was an article on some magazine (Game Developer??) said that "You know Who" was trying to convince Carmack to release it on the XBOX first (think $$$), even before the PC version...I guess he said yes??

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

9. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Crap...

Does anybody know if a Mac version really is coming? I have seen the MacWorld Tokyo demos of Doom 3 on the newly introduced GeForce 3 (figures how long ago that was...), but since then only PC version of leaked alpha's of beta's were ever noticed. Then this "you know who" ID software buy-out to get thet game to the Xbox first....

I just wonder if ID ever recently mentioned an OS X version? Please?

10. thoughtcriminal thread starter macrumors newbie

carmack used a next computer to develop doom, and uses macs now for development, it's his favourite platform, so i'd say it's a definate yes that doom 3 will be released on the mac, it's looking like it may be later though.

11. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

12. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Yea Carmack wrote the original Quake level editor on NeXT using the precursor to Cocoa. I'm sure it will be on Macs too, but it seems that, at least on the Console front, it'll either be XBOX exclusive or come out there first...sucks, but deep pockets get sweet deals sometimes.