Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil for Mac anytime soon?

Discussion in 'Games' started by sucafrutpi, Aug 5, 2005.

1. sucafrutpi macrumors newbie

just wondering if anyone had heard about a release date for the mac version or at least some clue about when it might be coming. the upgraded multiplayer is desperately needed (really should have been in the first version).

2. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

It would be great, but i haven't heard anything.

3. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

same here :( I was hoping to play this some time soon. Wonder if it will be Aspyr porting this? I've seen some great screens and some cool looking mods for RoE. darnit hoping someone can help with info?

4. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Didn't Aspyr say that they were going to do a patch that would work with the PC version of Doom 3?

5. JustinCaseiMac macrumors newbie

UMMM????

:confused: Doom III for Mac has been out for months! You can pick it up for 49.95 at any Apple Store. It's amazing but you better have a brand new iMac or Power Mac with a whole lotta RAM to run it even at medium resolution. The game was originally developed on a mac. id was smart to do that. Best Mac game by far!

6. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

He's aware of the fact that Doom 3 is our for Mac, he's just wondering if/when the expansion will be released.

7. AppleAce macrumors regular

Yes, that's true, but he was asking about the expansion.
    Ummmmmmm, NO.
    'Fraid not.
    If it was developed on a mac, then why does it run faster when one processor of a DP is turned off using the CHUD tools?
    Doom 3 may be one of the better ports, but it was NOT originally developed on the mac.

8. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Well the argument with the CHUD tools might not be enough to prove Doom 3's original development platform... Maybe it was develped on a mac first, but it was optimized for PC's at the final stages of development

@ JustinCaseiMac: I would really like to know the source of that you said: Who told you that Doom 3 was originaly developed for mac?

9. RacerX macrumors 65832

He may be thinking of Quake III which was developed for both Macs and PCs at the same time, released as a beta only for Macs, and then released for both Macs and PCs at the same time.

Plus, John Carmack is a long time NeXT/Apple user. He developed the original Doom game on a NeXT system, he helped with the porting of Quake II to Rhapsody (which was released before the Mac version and was faster than the Mac version on the same hardware). Given that, one would think that Macs could have been involved... though I highly doubt it in the case of Doom 3.

10. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

No. What they said was, "why would we spend time and effort getting the Mac version of Doom3 to work with the expansion pack, so people would just go out and get the PC version and we'd get nothing out of it?" (Paraphrased.) Which does make sense from their perspective. They did hint about maybe releasing the expansion pack for the Mac sometime..nothing definite yet.

As far as "Doom3 developed first on Mac," apparently an early version was demoed on a Mac, but that's about it.

--Eric