Doom 3 Reviewed (in brief by users)

Discussion in 'Games' started by iriejedi, Mar 19, 2005.

1. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

Well my first impression:

WOW!

Scarey! Alone in the dark the sounds and lighting are quite spooky....

The G7 With Radeon Z950 (ships when the X800 comes as a stock card from apple replaginy the Y900 which replaced the 9600XT) will suit this game well!

Sigh - after being a poster child for the positive... my 2+ hours on this game are impressed but dissapointed. While my Mac is top of the line it was not bought for games - but I admit I was really looking forward to the bragging rights it would give me with Doom 3.

For starters - there are screen 'jutters' even on 800 X 600 High settings no AA. Door openings in coradoors seem to be the big culpret.

There is NO support for 5.1 optical sound - the game proudly boast this will be supported in future patches.

There is NO support for the wide screen format on my Apple 23 inch screen - well at least not on any of the resolutions I tried (all of them to the best of my knowledge)

But I admit I will continue to play it even though I know I have to choke down the fact that I'm only getting 50 to 60% of the graphics potential and that nothing I can do short of buying a windows machine will help that. It will probably get shelved like Warcraft III did til I bought my G5 (old b/w G3 did not bode that one well). Then in a few years...

My big question is WAHT hardware did they use to test this on? Someone had to test 1600 X 1200 on 16X FSAA and Ultra settings... my guess it was 'Da New Guy' - give the rookie this job....

So that is my first take of Doom 3 on my 'wussy' system.

Drivers? 10.4? or a G7. All of these will probably help this game out. :mad:

Iriejedi

PS - I did pick up Tron 2.0 for $9.99 at Comp USA - an amazingly fun game for under $10!

2. a2daj macrumors member

Check out the Read Me file.

3. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

For widescreen support hold down the command key as you start up. I have mine running 1920 x 1200 with everything one. :cool:

4. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Well, I saw a link to this article posted on Macologist first, and I dunno if I believe it... Things that are too good to be true often are... Anyhow...
    Link

5. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

I think Doom 3 may have been a wee bit ahead of it's time on the Mac. Good thing it's coming out for the Xbox.

6. iriejedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

Thanks for the WS info. Now - How to get FPS?

It actually seems to run a smidgen better

So now how to you get FPS #

I know it is a timedemo command or something like thank - anyone know how to set this up?

7. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Because it really gives us a cozy feeling to know that a 4 year old console with a 733mhz processor can outperform a $3000 dual G5 Powermac.

8. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I believe it. When apple says they are going to do something, they always do it.

9. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

In every game, no matter what the graphics card, you will see screen "jutters."

10. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

You have to remember that the Xbox is dedicated to running games. But yeah, you'd think a Powermac G5 would be able to run it.

11. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

I have a single 1.6 with 1.25gb and the stock 5200. It plays ok if i crank teh h0ttn3ss down. At work we have a dual 2.5 with 3gb and the best 6800. Plays on the 30" with full caps no prob, just don't touch anti-aliasing (the death of gaming).

12. crachoar macrumors 6502a

And that's why I love my Macs...

*sarcasm*

Honestly, mac gaming is so depressingly worthless. I can't even imagine how much worse Doom 3 is from that shoddy 'Halo' port. I remember back in 2002, I ordered my Dual G4 BTO to the 'high-detail' Doom 3 Specs that Carmack had listed online. This was back when he said that it would come out for the Macintosh before the PC. I thought, '...this computer is going to eat Doom 3 alive - John Carmack says so - and he's pretty optimistic about the Mac...'

Then Trent Reznor got off-board and his brilliant soundtrack went to waste - he went on to record the worst album ever made and Doom 3's system requirements blew through the roof, so much to the point where top-end PCs couldn't run the game on the highest settings without stuttering video problems.

And so, 'Half-Life 2' came out and ran on even the ********* of PCs, we rejoiced, thinking that it could run on all of our G4 systems, and then realized that it would never come out for OSX and cried...

Doom 3, worth buying? Well, the gameplay was exactly as it was in 1993 - Not very good. 'OMG! There's a light! And there's armor in that spotlight! I better go pick up that armor....doot-dee-doot-dee-dooooo...OH NOES! ZOMBIES FROM A HIDDEN WALL PASSAGE!!'

Nope. As usual, a big waste of time. Go about your business - pretend we never got the port...

13. applekid macrumors 68020

Yeah, that's what I thought, too. I vaguely remember my friend's PC stutters a little whenever you open a door.

14. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Mac ports are not that bad, including Halo.

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Halo was pretty bad when it came out, but thanks to patches and OS X updates, it runs quite well now :)

16. JordanNZ macrumors 6502a

Have you SEEN the xbox screenshots?! They look like @##@!

And remember, this is running at 640 by 480. And the textures on the xbox version have been reduced in size.

An xbox can not outperform a new G5 with a good graphics card.

17. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

It's because OpenGL is so advanced on the Mac that Doom 3 runs slower than PCs. This statement probably doesn't make sense. :cool:

18. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Meh, maybe I missed something. When I got it updated it right away.

JordanNZ-Yes, an Xbox can outpreform a G5 in gameplay. Screenshots can only show you so much. Like I said, Doom 3 is ahead of it's time. It requires top of the line machines and video cards. Atleast from what I know.

19. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Heh, it makes sense to me because I know the story behind it :)

20. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Do you have the link?

21. JordanNZ macrumors 6502a

Well, put it this way... If you put the graphics settings down to 640/480 on G5 with a great video card, turn off shadows etc, it will run a hell of a lot faster than an Xbox.. Halo2 on Xbox is slow in a lot of places, and by slow.. I mean around >20fps.

Don't try to tell me an xbox will run faster than a G5 with a top of the line graphics card.. Because it won't.

22. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

Yeah the Xbox and the Mac version are a lil different.......
    XBOX
    [​IMG]

MAC
    [​IMG]

23. applekid macrumors 68020

Yeah. The X-Box version is so sexy. :rolleyes:

Actually, since it's still in development, it can be quite possible that they haven't polished the graphics. But, still, don't expect a sudden boost in quality.

Halo still wasn't that bad a port even before patches. BareFeats had the early benchmarks: http://barefeats.com/halo.html The only time the PC outran the Mac was at high quality and 1280 x 1024. Certainly the Mac version was more tweakable (turn off shaders), but some of those tests left all of the shaders on. With the patches, the PC outruns the Mac. :D Maybe Halo sucked if your running it on anything under a 1 GHz G4 and something slower than a 9600 and try to pull up the settings as high as you could. *shrugs*

24. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Okay, I stand corrected. But something tells me the graphics aren't that bad. And there really weren't any slow places in Halo 2. I've never had framerate problems with consoles.