Doom 3 Universal Binary Available Now

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Feb 20, 2006.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Thread say's it all.

Don't have doom 3, but someone with an iMac Duo must have. Like to see benchmarks.. :)

2. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Thanks a lot for the note... I am definitely downloading that right now.

EDIT: OK, I give up... Where is the download location? Neither Apple nor Aspyr says anything.

3. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

sweet, wonder if this will make it run better on my iMac G5.

i'll be trying it out when i get home. :D

5. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

It's meant to have better peformance on PowerPC hardware with ATI gfx cards..

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

so hopefully there'll be improvement. i have the ATI 9600 128mb Graphics Card.

i hope i see some changes, if not, oh well.

7. Marathon4ever macrumors regular

Anyone know how to get the frame rate to show in te corner of the screen? or even to pull down the console??

8. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Control-Option ~ brings down the console, not sure what the command is for the fps. It is usually just fps 1 but that doesn't appear to work on doom.

9. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

10. Redline13 macrumors 6502

No reports yet from the Intel-mac people? I am curious about the performance.

11. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Well my iMac 2.0 Ghz ICD only has 512MB RAM and 128 VRAM, but I'll enlighten you.

I ran it at 1024x768 on Ultra Quality Setting and I found that it doesn't really handle all that well. For instance, when you open a door, and it has to load a room of textures, there is a hugely annoying delay.

When you are just walking around in a room, with a few friendly guys walking around you, it's pretty good although still a little jumpy.

I have no idea what it is like on a lower setting, and of course more ram would make this much better.

Can I use this opportunity to point out that Doom 3 on Ultra on a mac, looks NO WAY NEAR the level of quality of Ultra on a PC. I guess porting does that...

12. jacobj macrumors 65816

jacobj

And now we have a ported ported version... oh dear!

13. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

There is very little differnce on the Pc between High & Ultra. All ultra does is use uncompressed textures across the board, but is only recommended for GFX cards with 512mb ram.

I've ran both settings on PC side by side and can honestly say that the difference between high & ultra is so little that the pay off for extra frames, high is a far better option..

14. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Ultra is recommended for 512MB graphics cards and 2 GB of RAM, since everythings uncompressed. o.o

15. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

"There is very little differnce on the Pc between High & Ultra"

Well sure, but that wasn't what I was talking about. I was saying that the PC version looks better than the mac version.

16. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I think it would be interesting if Doom 3 was benchmarked from Linux on an intel Mac, would be a great way to compare the quality of the port and how OS X limits games.

17. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

That's not the case, however. While there can sometimes be a bit of graphical disparity when porting between Direct3D and OpenGL, Doom3 is OpenGL to begin with. Any differences are likely due to different settings between the two machines, and if that's not the case, keep in mind that nVidia and ATI cards render a little differently (mostly noticeable with anisotropic filtering).

--Eric

18. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I played the game on a P4 3.6 GHz w/ Radeon X800 XT, and a Quad w/ GeForce 7800 GT.

Both settings: Ultra @ 1600 x 1200.

I try to notice any difference, but can't find any! :confused:
    Apart from having a slightly darker PC monitor, they seem absolutely identical.

19. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

anyone know where i can find how to set my settings in Doom 3 so it runs as best as it can on my iMac? (btw its a 2Ghz G5 with 128mb gpu ATI 9600 i believe) i've looked around and i haven't found anyplace so far....

20. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep I've ran both my pc version P4 3GHz + X800XT and mac version G5 Dual 1.8 + X800XT and can't see any difference other than pc version having a better framerate. I get 62 FPS on time demo on pc, 31 FPS on mac, all settings exactly the same....