Doom 3

Discussion in 'Games' started by markjones05, Oct 4, 2003.

1. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I dont see any threads on DOOM 3 in here. I want to open it up for rumors on release dates or anything else you can think of. I for one cant wait, is anyone else here as excited or anticipating greatness as much as i am?

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

darn right but who is going to have the juice??? & what will be the system reqs? werent they showing it on a dual 1 gig geforce 3 2 years ago? anyways im looking forward to doom 3 and hope john carmacks space venture turns out succesfull and i know doom 3 will be. thanks id a lot of fun through the years.

3. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I have a dual 1 ghz G4 and im expecting to play the game in some way shape or form on it. Im not expecting the best of the best graphics but i am expecting some sort of high quality playability.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

im hoping you will also, i'm using the single 1.33 g4 & geforce 3 with a gig of mem. hoping to upgrade the video if ati ever puts the adc on the 9800.

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i hardly care about doom anymore, they have taken way to long ago. half life 2 is what i care about, but no telling how long it will take now since all the source code for half life 2 got leaked.

iJon

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Remember, with the source leaked, the likelihood of a Mac version is higher :)

7. lewdvig macrumors 65816

I got the doom III alpha running on my PC. It was pretty amazing. I am sure Half Life 2 will be good, but Doom III will be out way before HL2 ever hits the Mac.

It was pretty scary.

It was unoptimized so it ran slow. Sound effects were raw wave files so I think the audio engine was a big part of the problem at that stage. At 6*4 it ran at 15fps on medium detail on a 2.4GHz P4 with RADEON 8500. My guess is that the final version will be double that.

That PC got about 215fps in Q3 at 10*7 max detail. My dual G4 800mhz gets 85fps on the same test with the same video card. Based on this, my guess is that d3 will run at 15-20 fps at 6*4 med detail on my Mac.

I think a dual G5 with 9800P will get 60fps at high detail and 10*7.

8. Miki macrumors newbie

I've tried it also on my PC laptop. It has P4 1.9Ghz and GF4MX 460Go and i've got 15-30 fps at 640x480. But when any monster approaches very close the fps drops to 1-2. So it IS playable with GF4MX ! I just hope that ID will optimize the code a bit. So my guess is that any Mac produced in 2003 (except EMac) will be able to run it.

9. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

According to this (http://www.theregister.com/content/54/33260.html) they only took a third.

Without having access to what they took, I would say they would have attempted to take it all. Who knows...

10. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Well.. now there is a playable version out on the net. Seems they took more than people thought in the beginning..

11. couch potato macrumors regular

doom 3 is gonna pwn. i think id knows how to make a scary game. did you read about the interactive enviorment? wow:eek:

12. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

How can there be a Doom III if they released "Final Doom" :confused:

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Who wants to be the one to offer Valve a port? :D

I'll be glad to see Doom III even if this machine won't be able to play it.

14. couch potato macrumors regular

good point, but then again, its id we're talking about! yeah, final doom was the last game, story wise. if you didnt know already, Doom 3 is a remake of Doom 1. they probobly have changed the levels around a bit, characters, and everything else, but its the same story as the first.

does this bother me? hell no:) besides, i never got a chance to play the first doom when it came out.

doom wasnt meant to have a great sci fi story line, or "crap" like that. it was just released because carmack had yet again come up with never-before-seen technology. read Masters of Doom, its a great book:)