Doom III, Wow on a PB

Discussion in 'Games' started by rschapel, Mar 1, 2004.

1. rschapel macrumors member

I am hopefully going to be a switcher in the near future, I really want to get a 15inch Powerbook, but after hearing the number of complaints about speed I am a little worried. I have a feeling some of the complaints are coming from people who own G5's wanting to see them in the powerbooks, and sure I do too, but I don't want to wait till next year to get my powerbook. I want this machine to be able to run DoomIII and WoW decently. It doesn't have to be at 60 fps, but a good 25-30 fps is needed. I know it is hard to speculate on games that arn't even in the market yet, but how do the games today play? Do you beleive that the bottle neck is in the CPU? From what I have seen apple uses great video cards in their laptops, so the bottle neck doesn't seem to be there.

Currently I wont be buying a PB until the next revision comes out,and when it does I personly don't think it will be a G5 Powerbook (sure I hope but...) but I would guess they continue the top of the line video card treatment, and with the speed bump to the CPU, do you think it will be enough? ( I so don't want to wait til the PB G5 to get decent performance from these games)

--Randy

2. Mantat macrumors 6502a

The 15'' PB is an excellent gaming machine. The only PB that you should be scared of is the 12" (which I got, stupid me).

The ATI card are more than able to hold their ground as long as you are not expecting them to be as fast as tower cards.

The 15" is a wonderfull machine and I would have gotten one if I had the money for it. You can also use an external FW800 drive to put all your game software on which should improve performance quite a bit.

Dont be affraid, the 15" will make you happy. The only thing that you are going to complain about (and you will) is the delay between the announcement and the delivery to your door! Prepare at least 4 weeks!

3. howard macrumors 68020

howard

judging from my experience i would say the current powerbook would be able to handle doom III smoothly on low settings, however i'm willing to bet that the next rev powerbooks will be able to run it smoothly at around medium settings.

also while apple uses the best notebook vid cards they still arn't even comparable to desktop vid cards, like the 9600mobility compared to its desktop counterpart, there is going to be a huge difference.

4. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I am expecting the next revision to be G5 powerbooks and the ATI Radeon 9700M. If this is the case, the 15in power book should be able to run Doom 3 with Max settings.

I know Moto has just released a 1.5Ghz low power G4 chip, but it would make more sense for Apple to use them in the iBook range and use G5s in Powerbooks to differentiate them.

5. Doraemon macrumors 6502

WoW should be okay on a PB G4 15-inch.

But Doom III? If you like a slide show, go ahead.
    Besides, even if you'd be able to play it with all details set to minimum, what good is it? Doom III is a game that lives from the effects such a dynamic lighting. If you turn all of these features off, you can also play an ordinary 3D-shooter.

6. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

One thing people have to understand is a lot of game companies are making games scalable, ie so as computers get faster the graphics in the game will get even better. This means you should not expect to play a game a full settings. There is no reason to be disappointed if all you can get are the medium settings. Also, Doom III is a highly advanced game graphically. I've got a 1.25 alubook, and I expect to be able to play WoW. I would be pleasantly surprised if I can run Doom III at any sort of reasonable framerate. We just have to wait and see until the min. specs are announced.

7. ionas macrumors regular

no, no no, get yerself a powermac g5, when doom3 comes out, and buy a 14" ibook now

no, no no, get yerself a powermac g5, when doom3 comes out, and buy a 14" ibook now

thats what i would do.

doom3 will be hungry.

8. rschapel thread starter macrumors member

Min spec

While I know this isn't from ID, there was a best buy ad out not to long ago (1 or 2 weeks) that was pushing DOOM III, I could have sworn it said something like 1ghz G4 with a 64 meg card. Also ID has always been huge on Open/GL , I would guess with DoomIII it shouldn't be any different, so I would expect the Mac performance to be decent, maybe not "great" on a laptop, but certainly good looking, at decent FPS (25 or so).

9. Doraemon macrumors 6502

There isn't even word from id IF there will be a Mac Doom III (although very likely). So that ad is BS.

And no, you won't get decent performance of a game like Doom III (or HL2) on a G4 laptop. You really can't expect a computer that cannot even run UT 2003/4 will full details with high FPS to be able to handle Doom III decently. No way.

I totally agreed with ionas. Doom III is going to be hungry. And anybody who wants to play it on a Mac should get a G5 tower.

10. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

A powerbook will run WoW just fine... dont worry about that. However, Doom3 on a powerbook? Forget about it. Until the G5 Powerbook with 8x AGP and a faster FSB comes out, its out of the reach of the Powerbooks for anything above 15fps.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Oh no, not again :rolleyes:

It's been confirmed, people!

12. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I know this is hard to admit, but I think we just need to wait and see. The truth is, nobody knows how Doom III will run. It's a long ways away.

13. Doraemon macrumors 6502

Gimme a link.

14. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah I don't think the Doom III will run well on any Powerbook, atleast for now, maybe you can run at 10 FPS on a low setting when the new Powerbooks come out...

:eek:

If the PC version = CPU hog... then the Mac version is:
    a) Less CPU intense
    b) The same CPU intensity
    c) More CPU intense...

If you said a or b you lose, you get NOTHING, Good day Sir!

15. LoadRunner macrumors member

Blizzard listed the min requirements of the wow beta to be 64mb of video memory. The ibooks, and the 12" power books only have 32 mb of video memory. That mean you would need a 15" or 17" power book to play in the beta. Even if the requirements do change, witch they can, I would still recommend getting a 15" or 17" power book. The added video memory will make a notable differences.
    No word on doom III :| but i'd say the same thing to a pc note book user.