Doom3 is a crappy game

Discussion in 'Games' started by PowermacG5, May 19, 2005.

1. PowermacG5 macrumors regular

PowermacG5

bad sound effects for guns and repeative as helllllllll.

anyone interested in buying a mint condition copy of doom 3 i just bought

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm not sure what you were expecting but none of the Doom series has been exactly high on plot.

3. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

i wouldnt say it was short of plot. i mean the story is pretty good, it was the main element which pulled me through the game.

it was repetitive, a damaging gameplay element. but meh! i quite enjoyed it, it made me jump a few times and it was brilliant seeing all the bad guys in gorgeous true 3D (im a massive Doom nut :) ). if only i could get RoE to work!

5. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I have to agree, DOOM 3 sucks...
    I know it is DOOM but come on, a little less boring, how many of the same alien dudes can you blow up in one minute...
    pretty graphics but crappy sound effects
    this game requires no thinking nor planning more like fast reflexes...
    great game to play if you feel frustrated and want to waste an hour or so...
    though for that, Mercenaries is much much more satisfying...

6. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

I played Doom 3 for a couple of hours when I first got it.
    And I haven't played it since, the graphics are great but the game is boring...

7. crachoar macrumors 6502a

You forgot that mention that it performs like swamp-ass on Macs (and most PCs).

Ironically, I don't have any issues with the Xbox port.

But, yeah, Doom 3 is pretty much the worst game ever.

8. Church macrumors regular

Church

I was thinking about getting doom 3 for a little while, and when i said so to my peecee buddies, they were all "we don't play that anymore" and i said "i'm not surprised" and they said "yeah, it was ok for a little while, but it just got old and everything and the multiplayer isn't that great" and i said "oh" and that's my story. :cool:

9. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

LMAO :D

10. TheGimp macrumors 6502

An early 80's game called "Kung-Fu Master" comes to mind. Each level had only one type of human enemy, plus one or two snakes to kick as your character walked from left to right. Some crappy and repetitive games are enjoyable! Many crappy and repetitive movies and a good deal of crappy and repetitive music and food are also enjoyable, given a forgivingly hedonic mindset.

Doom3 is the kind of simple formula game that would have repeatedly tapped the pleasure circuits of the kids who many of us once were, the ones who took to many of the repetitive classics such as Gauntlet, R-Type, Rygar, Defender, Centipede, Super-Mario Brothers, and Zelda. We all dreamed that one day "TV-quality" graphics would become a reality. The problem is that most of us have grown up, deteriorated even, so that mindless videogameplay will no longer cut it. I think Doom3 most likely appeals to those whose inner nasty-little kids, the ones who enjoyed grossing out their sisters with Sword of Sodan (remember?), haven't grown up.

11. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Actually, it is not just that. I think it is more the fact that everyone was waiting so much from this game... and it let us down. Doom 3 was advertised not just a revolutionary game in terms of 3d engine, but also in terms of an adventure. We all expected a good adventure.

All we got was a graphically good but low-performance engine (even in PC's). And that is the problem. I think that if it wasn't for the graphics, doom 3 would not have sold even 1 copy.

12. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

10 OOOoooh some shards, oh some ammo, aarrrgghh zombie, arrrgghh more, damn locked door need key, ooooohhh pda, open door
    20 Goto 10

13. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

Hi,
    Use a mod like Green Tech, MindKiller, View, or Faiakes Extended to improve the gameplay. I prefer Green Tech mod.
    Plus there's a ton of sp maps and some decent total conversions too (plus many many more TCs 'on the way'). For humble sp maps, try out: The Stoned Halls, The Sigma Core, Crypt, Church Of Ruins, Boneyard's Downward Spiral, Refueling Station and Fight the Swarm(s). All dload from FileFront and other websites... (there's about another 40 sp maps).

I do actually agree with everyone, the Doom3 game itself is dull. I think ID spent their entire time developing a new engine and forgot about the game! lol. Still i'm looking forward to TCs like Doom3.1, Dark Mod, QuakeRemix and Hexen Edge Of Chaos. There's lots more in dev!

What bugs me atm is that there is no Mac SDK out, but there is for PC and Linux. So some TCs won't ever work on the Mac, like Pathways Redux and Doom Chronicles. :-(

Hope this bumpf above helps someone to enjoy Doom3 more? ;)

14. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

I bought and played Doom 3 on my PC and I loved it the first time. It scared the hell of me and actually got my pulse rising. But...the game was very repetitive and predictable. When I don't expect something to jump out at me, something does. When it get's really quiet and I'm just walking along and thinking nothing is going to happen, I stop and say to myself, "I bet an Imp will jump out from that steam grate." Sure enough, one does.

I beat the game and I thought it was pretty good. As for replayability, the game has none. I played it again a few months later and I knew where all of the demons were going to pop out at me. The "scare and wow" factor was completely gone. Here's my point...the game is great for the first time. After that, you can throw it away like I did.

15. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

The game is also cheap how enemies pop out from behind you, from places that were completely clear when you walked by. The gameplay is of course repetitive, but we sort of knew that going in.

I also don't like how the bad guys disappear after you kill them, it takes some of the visceral feeling out of the game.

The level design was both repetitive (endless corridors) and extremely atmospheric at the same time (lighting, ambient sounds, etc.) The base itself felt like one of the characters, and was probably what I liked best. I never even made it to hell though, I gave up before then.

(played it on XBox for a few days.)

16. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I haven't played D3 (my Mac isn't worthy to even run its installer), but based on id's background, these comments don't surprise me.

id make superb game engines, but terrible games. It's probably not that surprising, since designing and building the game engine consumes so many resources, but still, most id games are little more than interactive demos, IMO.

17. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Actually, ID is good in making mindless killing games. Take a look at Doom Series, wolfenstein, Quake 1 and 3 (Quake 2 was a total disaster). When do you recall ID making an adventure game?

I don't remember.

And, seriously, I feel that the game has a crappy engine. Even in the PC version. The fact that Half Life plays in systems with less specs than doom 3 and has better graphics and physics engine at the same time, makes me realize that maybe ID has done a mistake in putting so much faith in Doom 3's engine to be the core of their future games.

For me, there are only 2 engines in the world that really worth the effort improving: quake 3's engine (which is a bit left behind now) and the unreal engine.

Doom 3 is worth nothing, imho.

18. benpatient macrumors 68000

well, the HL2 engine isn't actually "better" than the doom 3 engine. It is certainly more flexible, and in some respects, it's more high-tech (physics, for example), but it, the engine itself, doesn't necessarily "look better."

The shadows are less realistic and not exactly...consistent. They aren't generated totally dynamically as Doom 3's are... that said, HL2 was *gasp* fun to play. Very fun to play.

Vehicles, great weapons, cool enemies, logical puzzles, an excellent story and truly amazing attention to detail. It was, in short...a shorter, (some would say) better version of Half Life.

Compare the D3 mod scene to the Source engine mod scene and you'll see which one people are warming up to first...Despite several more months "in the wild" than the Source engine has had, there are fewer real projects for Doom 3 than for HL2...and most of those Doom 3 mods are things like "ultra blood mod" or "flashlight duct taped to your guns mod" or "corpses stay for 2 minutes mod" or other crap like that.

The HL mod community has for the most part moved over to Source, and they clearly love it, because there are as many or more projects going for the new engine than there ever were for the old one.

Valve is owning id.

19. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

I wouldn't disagree with you about HL mod scene being far bigger than D3. But D3 is still new and there are *many* total conversions in the pipeline. You could start at FileFront and use there links to work to many that are 'on the way'.
    Try this link also:
    http://www.forumplanet.com:80/plane...StboPjiIEHf9xSYYvxE2BlqhOKxGW]yRfFy2z0gKhvNDv[e0UZNEx8ACBwtfrfusvPeQGNRDk7]8OFV[EazswKFKmOw6bp1P6WP5DJGvtLlw88PbyXMu[KNuOjb05RkWF7erSoeK[kftJUZ]
    B7Dp2axivX11SXhjVJMa42CXVMbqvUuE8k6qoazqJgj0Z2h0PhJrbL[5p]cYvwuLxRLzYgVbNMejvA5k0tub3RP8B9797VLCncv8XD59DCnCLtTESE53FhqVYRAEbt9BdcxBf81l81ub6]3fo0Xb9NMNdNt[wmcyiiigdB

LOL that must be the longest url ever!

And:
    http://mods.moddb.com/?search=true&mf=0&mod=&game=33&type=0&order=game_name&sort=asc&list=40

I know what u mean about the crappy mini-mods though and there are many that give u a better flashlight or extra ammo/etc/etc.. and ynot too! ;p Though there are many decent mini-mods too, like Green Tech. imho

In the ideal (mac) world we'd have both the ID and HL games. oh well, i love D3 (can't ya tell?!) so i'm having fun with it! ;p Anyhow, back to The Refueling Station..............

Cheers