Doom3 now Gold

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dont Hurt Me, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

2. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

Full article!!!! Woo Hooo can you scream PRE ORDER!

Mac Doom 3 goes gold master, in stores March 14

45 minutes ago

Add to My Yahoo! Technology - MacCentral

By Peter Cohen MacCentral

Aspyr Media Inc. announced Friday its long-awaited Macintosh (news - web sites) conversion of id Software's hit first person shooter Doom 3 has gone "gold master," the final step before a game goes to production. Doom 3 for the Mac is expected to begin shipping on March 14, 2005.

Developed by id Software and brought to the Mac both by id and Aspyr Studios, Aspyr's in-house development team, Doom 3 is essentially a re-telling of the original Doom story, first brought to life more than a decade ago. You assume the role of a Marine sent as part of a detachment to guard a Union Aerospace Corp. facility on the planet Mars. There's an invasion of otherworldly, monstrous creatures, and you alone must push back the onslaught -- or risk this nightmare from reaching Earth itself.

Doom 3 utilizes a core game engine that provides significantly more realistic 3D graphics rendering effects than Mac users have seen in a game up to now. The high levels of detail come at a price: Minimum system requirements for the game call for Mac OS X (news - web sites) v10.3.8 or later, a G4/1.5GHz or faster equipped with with 512MB RAM, 2.0GB hard disk, ATI Radeon 9600 or Nvidia GeForce FX5200 or better 3D graphics with at least 64MB VRAM, and a DVD drive. (Recommended system requirements are higher still -- a 2.0GHz G5 or faster and a video system with 128MB VRAM.)

Doom 3 went gold for the PC last July. Id Software promised a Mac version, but it was November before Aspyr announced plans to publish the game. Aspyr initially hoped to ship Doom 3 in February, but the ship date slipped to March.

Doom 3 is rated "M" for Mature by the ESRB and will cost US$49.99. It's available for pre-order from links on Aspyr's Web site.

Click here for all of today's news at MacCentral. :p

3. relimw macrumors 6502a

And the sad thing is, my brand new, not shipped yet, Mac mini is not capable of running it :(

Ah well, when Steve says he has thousands of the new G5s waiting at the warehouse ready to ship after the wwdc keynote, I suppose I'll have to buy yet another new computer this year :) :cool:

4. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Sad, the linux port came out 5 months before the mac port, and the Xbox port is out 2 weeks after the mac port... that just ain't right... :(

5. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

6. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Ive got dual 1 ghz g4 powermac mirror drive doors 1 gig ram, nvidida geforce 4 ti. Will i be able to run it and more importantly will it be worth it. I know im a little short on some of the requirements but i have more ram and 2 proccessors, so can this help? Does it take advantage of dualies? Otherwise ill just get it for xbox.

7. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Looks like I'm going to have to upgrade to the X850 from the 5200 just to see some decent performance on my 2x1.8Ghz G5. Perhaps Tiger will make it run faster, who knows?

8. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

I played Doom 3 when my PC was still functional. The 1st few hours are thrilling. But, after that, it got tedious. It looks great, but they haven't re-invented anything. If your system can handle it, go for it. But, I don't recommend shelling out more money to make your system capable of playing this game.

Half Life 2 is where it's at. I have not played it, but it's considered to be THE best FPS ever (I am sure you all read the reviews). Start saving for that, if it's ever ported over to Mac. Not that Doom 3 is a slouch. If fact, it's a game that you can NOT run and gun through. You have to conserve ammo and watch your step.

Again, I am not knocking Doom 3. Please, go ahead and play it. But my experience from it isn't that memorable. Now it's available for PC for $39.99, where as at launch it was going for $55 (which is what I paid for it). Just my opinion coming from experience.

9. applekid macrumors 68020

Doom 3 will NOT benefit from dual processors.

And IMG's story: http://insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ID=10918

Just a warning, anything that just meet the requirements is only a guarantee that the game will load. Playability is a different story.

I'm sure there's people that will try running this on below requirement machines.

10. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I may buy the Mac version just to see if this Old 1.47 can handle it. I bet it does though not pretty. I hope they got this right and it doesnt come out loaded with bugs. Fun Game.

11. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

What disturbs me is the 'recommended' hardware.

It'd be one thing if they said 'runs best on dual G5', but it's another thing entirely to say 'runs best on dual 2.0 G5'. I guess my current rig won't let me play it at 'recommended' settings.

applekid. Doom3 will benifit from dual processor G5, that's why they recommend the dual (as if there's a single 2.0). But duals always run games better. All those system processes are offloaded onto the other cpu freeing up more horsepower for some hungry game like doom3.

I sorta wish i hadn't built my PC for doom3. now it's out on the mac and i want to buy it again. kinda stupid to buy the same game twice. maybe if i bought HL2 i wouldn't think my PC such a waste of deskspace.

12. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

They can put a G5 in iMac so you know Mini could hold one. A 1.42 Mini could play Doom3 if it had 64 mb video. Ati 9200 is what apple is using to keep its performance less then iMac.It will most likely get the Fx5200 after Apple updates its GPU's later this year in powermac and imac.

13. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Perhaps have a wireframe version for older Macs.

14. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Or in the small window :D I remember playing Wolfenstein 3D that way on my Performa 550. Had a nice sony Crt.

15. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Totally agree.
    It's kinda weird that a Dual 2.0 should do well, but a Dual 1.8 not well enough...?
    Does 10% CPU speed difference make such a difference?

I bet a Dual 1.8 with Radeon X800 XT (or GeForce 6800 Ultra for that matter :D ) will do better than the "recommended" 128 MB VRAM grfx card (say, 9800 Pro or 9600 XT) in a Dual 2.0..... not?
    :confused:

It would then be easier to say Dual G5 with 128 MB VRAM recommended (and probably 1 GB RAM too)

16. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Umm, no where do the recommended requirements say that it wants a Dual G5. It simply says a 2.0GHz G5 processor. Just because there are no current single 2GHz systems doesn't mean that there won't be any in the future. The game does not take advantage of dual processor systems.

17. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Yeah, I used to play Doom II that way on my Quadra. Big black border taking up 2/3 the screen area on my 14" Apple/Sony display.

I'm not holding out much hope that good framreates will be possible on any G4 - maybe, maybe, MAYBE a super-duper upgraded G4 tower (1.5/1.7 GHz CPU, 1.5GB+ RAM, Radeon 9800 Pro, SATA drives, God's hand pushing the 1s and 0s along faster...

It's hard to get around that wimpy bus on the G4s. :(

...Or maybe they produced a miracle of optimization when doing the Mac version (snicker).

18. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Indeed.... you're right.

But since 128 MB VRAM is recommended, an iMac (as we know them now :D ) is out of the question..... or......? :cool:

19. benpatient macrumors 68000

a dual 1.8 with an X800 should play MUCH better than a 2.0 with a 9600. This game is very gpu bound. Don't sweat it if you have an x800 or 6800. You should be fine.

Well, if the game runs well on ANY mac, it will run well on yours. The difference between the dual 1.8 and the dual 2.0 is negligible, especially when only one of them is being used.

I wonder what "recommended" settings are? 1024 and medium quality?

20. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Been asking myself the same question.
    1024 x 768, medium quality is "average", and therefore probably recommended..... I was hoping an iMac 1.8 GHz G5 would reach a playable 30 fps (average) at those settings.
    But if those settings need a 2.0 GHz G5 with 128 MB VRAM (I hope the 9600 XT is meant... not only the 9800 Pro), then the iMac has to go down a bit....

Here's to hoping they mean 1024 x 768 at high settings.... (eh... or is that wishfull thinking? :( )

21. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

I would never be able to run Doom 3 on my little guy. Good thing I have the Xbox. But my money is focused on other things, mainly BattleField Modern Combat and Medal of Honor 4.

22. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

So... if it has gone Gold Master will we see a demo soon?

Since it has such high hardware requirements its only fair to let people see it running on their own machine first.

23. applekid macrumors 68020

Hmmm, well, if you put it that way, yes. I was saying "no" to the fact that it won't be like Quake 3 where many processes are split up and put on both processors giving significant performance boosts.

Possibly. People are probably quite curious since this is yet again a next-gen game engine. So, my hopes are that it will happen.

24. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

There is a demo for the PC, so let's hope Aspyr does the same sane thing....

25. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

Of course, if it's a choice between having a demo, and having a bug-ridden game with poor mod support, I'd rather have no demo and a clean game with mod support, for either the initial release or the first patch.