Discussion in 'Games' started by eXan, Mar 24, 2005.

1. eXan macrumors 601

Jan 10, 2005
    I've just came home from the computer club, where I played for a couple of hours in Doom 3 single player. OH MY GOD :eek: this game is scary!!! :eek: A few times I almost jumped out of my chair! :eek: Whew!
    I new that the game was scary and wanted to try it out. I played multiplayer with my friend before and it s@cked :(
    But Single player is the whole another game! Really scary things began when I found the missing scientist :eek: You have to play this game to understand what I mean. If I had some more time I could advance further in single player, but I made it only to the administration center :(

Buy the way, how to open console on PC version?
  2. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
  3. topicolo macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2002
    Ottawa, ON
    meh. all the imp teleporting gets predictable after a while. about an hour into the game, after getting the shotgun, you learn to turn around and pump a shell of buckshot into the ugly bugger's face the moment you hear the teleport sound.
  4. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Doom 3 is FUN! I love playing it at 2am in the morning, with my lights turned down and my sound pumped up. I like to take my time, and imagine myself in the Mars facility. The whispers are what makes my blood curdle.
  5. sirius1722 macrumors member

Dec 30, 2004
    Seattle-area, WA
    Use Ctrl+Alt+~ to bring up the console. Try entering in some of the classic cheat codes from the older Doom games in the console ;)
  6. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

Oct 19, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    yeah I've been playing doom a bit lately...a bit too much and my work has been suffering :rolleyes:

Yeah it does get ya jumping once and a while, get's the blood pumpin
  7. eXan thread starter macrumors 601

Jan 10, 2005
    Yes, I guess I didn't :(

If I had Doom 3 at home (see my sig :( ) I would play it more. Even try it at night :eek:

If I happen to come back to same compter at that comp. club I would load my saved game and continue ;)

PC I was playing this game has these specs:
    P4 3GHz
    512 MB RAM
    Serial ATA drive
    ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB
    17" LCD.

The game was running with no problem on 1024x768, High, no AA (I think)
    Though there were some occasional slowdowns, but they weren't noticable.
  8. eXan thread starter macrumors 601

Jan 10, 2005
    When I killed the zombie-scientist and was heading back to Mars City I opened one of doors and that flying fire-head flue in :eek: I almost fell off my chair!
  9. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2004
    Wasn't too impressed to be honest. It was the same game for me as it was ten years ago...

'OMG! There's armor under that spotlight - in this pitch-black room! I better grab that armor!'

'OH NOES! MONSTERS!!!11'

Besides, the engine wasn't optimized to run well on anything (especially macs). I decided to stick with 'Half-Life 2' for various reasons (although, not even Half-Life 2 is perfect - although close).

If you really want a scary game, might I suggest 'Resident Evil 4' for the Gamecube (and soon for the PS2)...
  10. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Oct 21, 2003
    Classic, you have me laughing here =)

I assume you've seen F3ll0wsh1p of teh R1ng
  11. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    That made me laugh out loud! I love how they treated it like an online multiplayer game.
  12. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    I actually had to stop playing it because i can't take the suspense. I actually didn't even make it to any monsters yet, i keep getting paranoid. I sound like a baby but this has to be the scariest game ever.
  13. keysersoze macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Any idea when RezEvil 4 will emerge for PS2?
  14. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    End of 2005? Anyway, I want it for my Gamecube.
  15. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    Goto Hell!

No seriously, goto Hell! Now THAT's one spicy meatball! :eek:
  16. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2004
    Applekid, your posts hardly ever make any sense. This is one of those occasions.

Santaduck, glad I could make your day. I suppose we're even for the UT2K4 toolpack now? ;)

Also, I never saw that LoTR thing. Could've been a bit funnier, but I enjoyed it none-the-less. Thanks.
  17. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
  18. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

May 8, 2004
    I Live Where I Live
    Where is that pic of that hamster with the pankake on his head when you need it.....
  19. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Has anyone made it to the Stasis Chamber yet? In there, the scientist kept some of the specimens from the other dimension in a liquid. Think Jurassic Park 3 or ID4. Anyone, they had one of the 10-eyed creature in a vat of liquid and I approach it to get a closer look. Well sure enough, the creature lunged at me, OMG, I nearly fell off my chair.
  20. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    I'm thinking about geting this game for my Xbox now. It just looks too damn good to miss out on.
  21. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    I own Doom 3 for the PC for a while now. While the game was good and I enjoyed it (I plan to beat it during the summer when I have quality time to game on the PC), it's not "OH MY GOD!" good, if you know what I mean :)

I'll have to admit the graphics are are close to "OH MY GOD" good though.

Regarding AppleKid's post, you guys obviously haven't made it far into the game at all. Hell is indeed cool as heck, and a nice break from the Martian base boredom.
  22. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Apr 25, 2004
    You're joking, right? DOOM3 is FAR from the scariest game ever made. Hell, its far from a scary game, period. The teleporting monsters gets old after like 15 minutes of gameplay.

If you want something that really is scary (and I mean truly frightening), try System Shock 2, or the recently released Thief 3.
  23. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Jun 26, 2004
    I live in a giant bucket!
    F.E.A.R looks like an awsome game when it comes out. Hopefully coming out for the Mac as well as PC.

I think this game will blow Doom3 out of the water. Paranormal special tactile forces trapped in a highrise with some REALLY bad mojo going on, think Die Hard, The Ring, and The Shining all in one. OH HELL YEAH!

Not to mention destructable enviroments. :eek:
  24. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Doom 3 has a great story line. I love how they added so many nice touches to the game. Granted, I don't play many first person shooter games, so I am not as experienced (or as jaded) as some of you, but I give the game high marks for immersive game play.
  25. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    i found Doom 3 to be one of my all time greatest games, to be frank.

sure it dosnt have ZOMG STRATGEI! with a max of 2 weapons at once, or other stuff. but it works for me. its basic. its scary. its doom.

got it last summer ON the launch date i might add :rolleyes: for a swanky £21.99. there must have been a mistake cuz in the same shop just 2 days later it was £29.99. anywho it was fiiiine. ran on;

Pentium 4 @ 2ghz
    512mb Ram
    Radeon 9600 Pro 128mb

got to ultra quality, 1024x768 and it ran smooth as :)

my parents went away so i hooked up the good quality CRT monitor for extra darkness and played it constantly for 2 weeks. constantly shouting to my girlfriend "OH MY GOD! LOOK!" as a new type of enemy made its first appearence.

i cheated towards the end. i messed up the save file and could not be bothered doing it again so i skipped past it all and soon turned cheats off :)... i swear though the game starts off ok... stays ok for a while (maybe too long)... then the story picks up somewhat... then it just escaltes non-stop till the end. without trying to give away spoilers; one boss is utter crap. especially with its name, you really would expect something from the old doom.

oh and i love the PDA's. adds volumes to the story. its actually good knowing how it all happens this time round, and in good form too. instead of having some american z-list celeb reading off some script (barring the voice messages). its quite alright.

love the visuals. sure graphics arnt everything, but the shapes and lighting is so bloody beautiful. i had no idea i could pull that out of my PC, at least not within the next 5 years.

as for the teleporters... um. they didnt scare me. and frankly i dont think they were meant too. unless you have like 2 bullets left or something and you just running around trying to find a safe place.

heres to hoping Doom 4 (or Doom 3: doom2. if that makes any sense) Hell on Earth comes out!

FPS nutshell review! Half Life 2: alright, could play through again. Farcry: fun at first but no re-run. Doom 3: pretty intense, like the old dooms i could play over and over :D