Doom3 System Requirements

Discussion in 'Games' started by job, Jul 21, 2003.

1. job macrumors 68040

job

http://www.3dactionplanet.com/doom/#PQN433439

Hey, maybe those 1Ghz eMacs will be able to run Doom3 afterall. Pffff...yeah right. :p

2. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Damn. I knew the requirements would be hefty but still...

3. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Doom3 System Requirements

ID's game engines have always been nicer to the less powerful systems. When you turn the graphic quality down on an ID game you get realistic frame increases unlike the Unreal Engine. If they are saying it will be playable with those specs I would say fully that even iBook will be able to play it.

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

That's a 1GHz Intel processor I would make a bet. Meaning that even a 700MHz G3 should be adequate.

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

yep - these are likely PC specs...

so take with a grain of salt.

arn

6. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

Possibly. A case in point would be Shadowbane. The Mac Mhz requirement was less, but the VRAM was more.

7. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

The megahertz used to be less in the 604e time where you only needed 133Mhz to run Unreal, while you needed a 180Mhz Pentium to run it.

Now the needed mega hertz are the same on PCs and Macs, I know people don't want to know this but a P3 is the same speed as a G3 and an AMD Althon XP is the same speed as a G4 clock for clock (according to SPEC benchmarking).

While the game will run on a 1Ghz eMac/iMac, you will have to put all the settings down to min which means you might as well play UT2003 because the graphics will be better. I also heard it will only work on a G4 or G5 because it has AltiVec enhancements and it is too slow on the G3. Anyway it is the graphics card that makes more of a difference in this game, you need a Geforce 3/ATI Radeon 8500 or better to get the most out of the game. There is no way it will run on a ATI 7500M in the ibooks.

8. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

Specs

I am truly surprised. I expected to see like a 2.0GHz Pentium 4, 512MB RAM, and a hardware-based OpenGL-compatible video card with at least 64MB RAM.

I wonder how much of the visual processing will be performed by the video cards rather than the CPU?

9. Bendit macrumors regular

Mac requirements will probably se similar

processor wise that is.

These days Macs tend to need the same specs and sometimes even more. Probably because developpers aren't too worried about optimizing every last line of code in the mac version since it won't be used for benchmarks or even reviewed much. They just ride off the success of the PC version.

Another reason for needing equivalent processor speeds could be because the developers know that most mac users tend to have pretty crummy video cards (just look at what's offered in the new iMacs or eMacs) and depend more on the processor than the video card.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I would certainly hope that my dual G4/800 would be enough to play it, with an upgraded video card. The screenshots they've provided look great.

11. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

this is why I got an xbox, reliable sources say it will go there like a month after the PC drop.

12. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

There's no way you will get full graphics quality with an XBox. It will be playable but it won't be as pleasing to the eye as a high end graphics card on a good computer.

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

not bad for minimum reqs, but if you really want to be in the game you need to double them. Doom3 is still going to make a lot of people cry,or rather their computers will be crying when they try to start crunching those numbers.

14. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i'm not a graphics freak at all.... playable is playable to me.

15. Das macrumors regular

At the resolution that the Xbox runs at (crummy tv resolution) they should be able to get a good fps with all details. Really, D3 is more resolution scalable than options scalable. Really though, who wants to play with a controller over a mouse and board except a true sadist?

I'll probably be reserving this game for my PC, but if it turns out that my pb 867 can get a good fps, I might give it a go. Right now, I'm less worried about meeting the minimum specs and more about this game meeting the minimum gaming specs (i.e. plot, great action, etc...)

16. Bendit macrumors regular

As someone already pointed out, the very low resolution will make the game much faster, and also allow for some detail to be stripped away that wouldn't even be seen anyways, or atleast mess arround with the variable level of detail.

Games on consoles tend to look better then their pc counterparts (at equivalent specs, in this case p3 700mhz and a GeForce 3/4) because it is made for that specific hardware.

Right now in the graphics subroutine there are a ****load of logic paths depending on what kind of video card you have, and each videocard results in a slightly different output.

The xbox only has one video card. And it's a fairly modern one, and it will be used 100%. For example Doom 3 will probably not (atleast not depend) on features that are exclusive to a GeForce 3 or 4, or 5. Because only a few people have them, it takes a couple of years before people start taking advantage of their features.

On the xbox they can use the card to its full potential from the get go.

I think a doom3 port to the xbox is possible with a minimal decrease in graphics quality.

17. couch potato macrumors regular

yeah, the minimum:rolleyes:

the thing is, all id talks about are the graphics, and how great and ground breaking they are. they almost NEVER talk about the gameplay. there is no multiplayer? they must have concentrated on single player, then, rriiight?

but a quote from carmack says that Doom 3 will be shorter than most single player game today. sounds like they concentrated on graphics. so basically the game will be awesome if you can experience the nice visuals. back to reality- a good percentage of the population cant afford a G5 system, or a 2Ghz P4 with a nice radeon 9800 or a geforce fx. so basically, if you ask me, its gonna suck.

but ill just have to wait and see

18. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

xbox is a very powerful machine. with the game being optimized just for xbox i would expect it to play very well. and xbox will play doom 3 much better than any ibook or powerbook, probably many old powermacs as well.

iJon

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Doom on the Atari Jaguar was very, very playable compared to other platforms. I'd expect the same for xBox. Now, if they would do it for GameCube...

20. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

I'll be the first to admit, there were parts in the leaked alpha build that scared the everliving **** out of me. Think Resident Evil in first person.

The only other games that have ever made me jump were Clive Barker's Undying (a vastly underrated game IMO) and RtCW (the catacombs at midnight with no one else home and the sound maxed out :eek: ).

21. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

no kidding, i couldnt play that game at night, so freaking scary.

iJon

22. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I think multiplayer is being reserved for Quake4Arena which should be released next year. I saw a bit of info on it yesterday. It's based on the new Doom engine and it looks totally awesome. Makes UT2003 look like the DoomII.

23. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

My thoughts exactly. FPS w/a controller?:eek: No thanx. You'd think MS would release a KB&M for the Xbox. Heck, the dreamcast had a KB&M.

Lethal

24. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

I think goldeneye for the N64 worked great with a controler.... It just felt naural, admitadely, it was hard to look up and down, but all the basic functions you needed were there. I actually prefer the N64 controller over a KB and mouse, im just too cheap to get something to hook it up and make it work..

25. Pancake macrumors regular

Pancake

Man, Goldeneye was a good game. I played that so much I got to the point where I could take on three people at once and not get killed while killing each of them at least 10 times in a 10 minute game. I'll take a controller over a mouse and keyboard anytime. It all depend on what you played the most on.

These are the Thumbs that Mario built.

I remeber reading that Carmack said that if he optimised Doom 3 for the xbox it would run 30% better than pc with the same specs or something like that. He also mentioned it would come to ps2 or gamecube because they are powerful enough.