doping in sports, the next frontier.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Don't panic, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

performance improving genes are approaching clinical trials (for legitimate reasons). it's just a matter of time before athletes start using them. They'll pay the price down the line, but do they care? Are sports as we know themdoomed?

a quite interesting article from the new scientist:

when we get to that point (if we are not there yet) I think we should just give up and let the athletes take whatever they please.

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

:(

this sucks... as far as sports goes anyway

excited about the broader implications though, the people it could help

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

This could hurt more people that it could help, not just the pro athlete but the college and High School wanting to pump up. This could go beyond sports and hit the casual person who just wants to avoid working out to look better might just use some genie hormones.

4. Don't panic thread starter macrumors 603

Don't panic

I both agree and disagree with you.
    I disagree that this is not going to help a lot of people with a wide array of severe disorders who have NOT chosen to be sick.
    I agree on your main point that this can be potentially very dangerous and that amatuers and regular joes are the ones that will pay the higher price (without the benefits of a pro career).
    but this is already happening now with the current crop of crap (TM). just look at the abuse of steroids in schools and gyms

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I agree that this will help the people in need but that the dopers will abuse it far more than the good of the procedure

6. meta-ghost macrumors regular

doping

catching dopers is not as hopeless as it may seem. i was reading somewhere that the most promising solution goes something like this:

- do not test for specific steriods, gene therapies, or other stuff (you will always be behind the curve)

- instead, create "body profiles". these profiles gather a whole bunch of info about the body (oxygen levels, muscle mass, certain efficiencies,...) and are surprisingly consistent despite different periods of training.

so, when profile is tested for and something seems out of place, further testing begins.

apparently, some see this as the only hope.

7. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    So that just means that kids will have to start doping in HS or Jr High...

In some ways it levels the playing field. Yes, you do loose something of the "purity" of the sport but where exactly is the line between good and bad?

How do you know someone wasn't born with a particular mutation or if it was introduced after the fact?

8. apple2991 macrumors 6502

Wait, remind me why someone can become a millionaire celebrity catching a football in this world? I mean we've come so far.

Sports=good.

Professional sports=the complete opposite. If only because things like this happen.

9. Drgnhntr macrumors regular

This sort of technology is going to become more and more relevant in the future. It is only a matter of time before anyone can get some sort of genentic boost. It may be an immunity boost, height increase, weight control, strength, etc. It will be the equivalent of plastic surgery today.

I don't agree with using drugs in sports but it is something that is going to happen. People like to watch people hit homeruns, throw 80 yard passes, etc. There is a demand for super stong athletes. The only thing I think is sad is that they don't do something to protect the record books. What sports players did a long time ago "drug free" is amazing considering it took a person on enhancers to beat them. Those are amazing records that should be saved as a pure example of what humans can do.