Dorm Room Dilemma...

Discussion in 'Community' started by ravenvii, Feb 7, 2005.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Well my university has this rule where everyone must have a roommate.

Well the roommate I had last semester dropped out of school (he sucked - he stole $40 from me, and just when he left, he stole my snack basket... ****ing worthless bastard) so I rejoiced. The past three weeks I have be living in the room all by my own lonesome. AWESOME! But wait! I am now told that I have to find a roommate by Tuesday, or I'll be assigned one.

Now the dilemma. I found a roommate... sort of. He seems cool, he's from Saudi Arabia. But the problem is he lives in a crappy dorm (small, crappy room, one bathroom for the whole floor - 20 rooms). I now live in a decent dorm (decent room size, bare walls so there's flexibility in room configurations, four bathrooms per floor - same 20 rooms per floor). But this Arab guy refuses to move here because the "cooler" people live here - all internationals, Born Again Christians (no offense ;) ) and generally socially uncool people live in that dorm, and he likes the quiet :). So if I just leave it be, and let myself be assigned, I will be staying in this dorm. But it's possible I end up with a crappy roommate again. If I move over to the other dorm, there's a less risk of having a crappy roommate, but 100% risk of living in crap conditions :) And to top it off, the university takes crap care of the dorm - it's going to be wrecked to the ground sometime in the next two years.

What would you do?

DAMN, this post is much longer than I'd anticipated.

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

You've already answered your own question: Stay where you are. The risk of a bad roommate is certainly better than the certainty of a crappy dorm.

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I've had the full scope of roommates, two last year, then one of my friends flunked out and now i've got my third random one ... random ones are hit or miss really ... I would stay in the nicer room with better people .... you can always go hang with him or your friends anywhere but having a nice room is good for just living. Plus moving sucks when you don't have to

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Who knows what will come your way?
    Give Chance a Chance!

5. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

introduce him to the people on your floor? might change his perception and possibly change his mind.

6. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Yeah, I'd consider talking to him again. Random roommates = recipe for disaster.

I was in a QUAD my freshmen year. Fortunately 2 people moved out and it became a large double. Later in the spring semester, 2 people moved in -- fortunately those were people from my high school that I knew already.

You may not be as fortunate. Someone you know, even if a little, is better than taking the risk of a bad/smelly/irresponsible roommate. Trust me.

7. HeWhoSpitsFire macrumors member

HeWhoSpitsFire

STAY!

Bad people can suck, but be tolerated.

****** rooms always suck, and can never be tolerated.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I was about to say the exact opposite. Then again, I strongly dislike people. So if I find someone I could even remotely tolerate living with I would do it.

IMO cool roommate + sucky dorm > sucky roomate + cool dorm.

Especially if you get stuck w/another thief. That would really suck.

Lethal

9. Spizzo macrumors 6502

Stay!!!! Same thing happened to me, only I didnt know my roommate was getting kicked out of school. Showed up in the fall, and had a new roommate. He sucked, but at least I had a brand new room!!!!

Lucky for me we had a singles lottery (enter for a chance for your own room) about half way through the year. Only one room avaliable, and I won!!!
    But that was years ago (3, but seems like forever).

But yeah, STAY!!!!

10. Toreador93 macrumors regular

Stay. I've had pretty good luck with roommates thus far, with only my first being bad. Your last roommate sounds pretty bad, which means you're more likely to get a better one. And being the first in your room, you have your pick of bed and desk.

Also, you can check your floor (or elsewhere) to see if anyone cool doesn't like their roommate, and see if he wants to move with you.

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'd stay and see who you end up with. You're not guaranteed a bad room-mate after all. And if you don't like him, it's easier to go visit the other friends you've made in your dorm than start from scratch making new friends in the other dorm (where if it's really that quiet, people seem to prefer their own company!)

If the other guy was a really good friend, then I might consider moving. But it sounds like you haven't known him that long and he just appears to be OK. Who knows what you might think after living with him for a few months?