iPad dos your ipad 4 get warm like the ipad 3 did?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by snow755, Nov 2, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

snow755

hi

I don't own a ipad 4 this yet but planning on getting one so the ? is dos your ipad 4 get warm like the ipad 3 did ?

2. thread starter macrumors 6502

snow755

bump

3. macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

I would like to know as well..

Potential iGenius leverage..

:eek:

4. macrumors member

I can't comment on the 3rd gen because the 4 is my first iPad. However, after heavy basic use the last 24 hours (iCloud restore, firmware/software update, Twitter, Facebook, streaming videos and music, email, iMessage and of course MR, it doesn't appear to have changed one bit externally in heat emission. I'm using it with a Smart Cover. I will also add the battery is freaking amazing. Any other questions about the 4 I'll be glad to try to answer.

5. macrumors 65816

cherry su

My iPad 4 gets warm on the left while playing Monopoly.

6. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I preordered a 4 and returned it unopened because every single one that I tried in the apple store was noticeably warm. I had bought a 3 and ended up returning it after a week for the same reason. It would really bother me.

7. macrumors 68040

D.T.

Previous 3rd gen owner, now with a 4th gen for a couple of days. The iPad 4 definitely gets warm, not unlike the 3, but I never felt like the 3 was any issue. It's not much different vs. my iPhone 4S (or MBP). It's a high performance electronic device, it gets warm (so do our game consoles, AVRs, etc.)

:cool:

8. macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

That's ridiculous. For the reason that our good friend, Bender, pointed out above. The iPad is a high performance device. High performance devices generate heat. Deal with it.

9. macrumors member

Maybe I'm not using it right.... But mine has been used today for several hours continuously and is not any warmer than when I picked it up from being charged. Of course, I'm not doing any processor intensive actions on it, but still...no sign of heat problems yet.

10. macrumors regular

After a few hours of movie watching, playing Grand Theft Auto and some extensive email replying (while music is playing), the iPad got warm but never to the degree I had noticed with the 3 (when I played it in store anyway). Either way, for the speed we gain its an acceptable trade off. Plus the battery..... 3 hours and still at 84% (!) today :eek:

11. macrumors regular

If you turn up your brightness level on the iPad 4, it will get somewhat warm but reducing the brightness solved that for me. Overall, the iPad 4 does not get as warm as my iPad 3 did

12. macrumors 603

Max(IT)

I don't know about the iPad 3rd gen, but switching from the iPad 2 to the new retina 4th gen I can't see any heat issue.

13. Guest

WeegieMac

Don't use it at full brightness, problem solved. I don't know why anyone would use an iPad at 100% brightness indoors, it's blinding. I run my iPad 3 at 40/50% and it never gets hot.

14. macrumors regular

using my daughters pretty much all day, but nothing heavy...ipad is fine,and brightness is only set about half way...

15. macrumors 6502

Not warm at all. Love it. so glad I sold my 3 for it, wifi is super fast and it's as fast as my iphone 5

16. macrumors newbie

I don't have any experience with the iPad 3 coming from the iPad 2, but about 30 minutes into Bastion on the iPad 4 I noticed one part of the back getting noticeably warm so I grabbed my infrared thermometer and took readings across the back ranging from 98°-106° F. FYI the brightness was set to 85%.

As far as temperatures during web browsing, reading, and other activities that don't put heavy loads on the processors I haven't noticed any significant increases.

17. macrumors 6502

tarasis

Mine is currently restoring, and for a time I had the screen up at 100% brightness and it was getting quite toasty in the iPad 1 cover, particularly on the glass which wasn't something I'd experienced particularly on the 3.

18. macrumors member

weas

The main factor isn't how much performance the app you're running demands.... The main factor is the BRIGHTNESS!
    Even if you are just surfing the web, if your brightness is set to maximun it'll get warm

19. macrumors G3

mattopotamus

Slightly warm, but nothing shocking. No hotter than an iPhone can get