"Dot" Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Purple, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Purple macrumors newbie

Hello!

Does anyone have any opinions about the value of .Mac? I know about the general capabilities and the back up features, etc. sound nice, but I don't do a lot with Web pages, photo sharing, etc. so I'm wondering if it would be worth it for me--especially at $100 a year. Or, is that a good deal considering what you get even if you don't use it that much? I'm not likely to change my e-mail address or anything--I've had the same one for a long time and don't care to confuse everyone and have to renew everything... General opinion?

Thanks!!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Not worth $100 unless you don't already have web hosting, e-mail, etc... valuable for syncing info between more than one Mac, and for backup itself. I picked it up for $75 with my new iMac, which I think was a decent deal for backup + the syncing.

B

3. Pistol Pete macrumors 6502a

Pistol Pete

I think it is worth it, especially for a new mac user...

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I would recommend searching the forums and reading the countless other threads that have asked this same question already - really - this has been done to death many times over....oh yeah!

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I have it to seamlessly synchronise my two Macs, but that is all. I'll probably renew my membership, if only as an excuse to give Apple more money toward MacBook development. :cool:

6. cairo macrumors regular

I think its cool but I personally think its overpriced for what it is...

7. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

I used it before and personally found it to be a waste of money. If the came down a bit on the price maybe it would be worth it. But it really depends on if you need the features. Go to Apple.com, read up on .Mac. Ask yourself if you really need each feature. I ordered it with my first Mac thinking I needed the Virex virus protection that it came with. :rolleyes: I should have looked into it a bit more.

8. Project macrumors 68020

I think the actual service it offers, is extremely nice.

If only it was half the price though. At its current price, its a little expensive....

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Couldn't you just give the 60-day free trial a whirl and see for yourself whether or not you'd use the services?

10. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Duh, that makes a lot more sense :D

11. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

go to the forums and search near the top for threads about ".Mac" as there are several good ones in the past.

I love it and have had it for years. It is simple and it is simply not worth it to me to try and do it for a few bucks cheaper.

12. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

:confused: Amazon typically sells it for $79.99, free shipping and no sales tax.

13. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Try ebay

I got my .Mac for $69 on eBay, you can always find people selling it at that price. It's worth it to me, but I certainly like paying $30 less than retail :)

14. IanF0729 macrumors regular

IanF0729

I paid full price from Apple. For iDisk, an IMAP mail service, and seamless synchronization, I think its worth it. ;)

The trial definitely convinced me, though, so try that.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think I paid like $55 or something here at MR. I enjoy it, but I only use the mail feature. If I sell something on ebay, I'll use the home page stuff. Otherwise....it's not really being used. I think I'd like to use some of the idisk stuff, but I never bothered to check it out.
    I'd renew for no more than like $60 if I could find it. I like the .mac address.

16. tivoboy macrumors 68030

ebay

ebay is your friend, I bought mine for 35$ off ebay, works great and worth at least that much.

17. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

For me the value is in the backup and sync'ing. The sync'ing is particular useful since I can keep my development projects on iDisk and code on any of my Macs wherever and whenever, even when I'm offline.

18. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Apple sometimes offers it at a discount (around ~$69). I think the last time they did it was the day after Thanksgiving shopping day sale. Also look at Amazon or eBay for discounts.

For what it's worth, I like it. But .Mac value tends to be a very polarizing topic on these threads...there are many threads out there on this...

19. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

At $69 I might pull the trigger for my wife. Is eBay the only place to track down this special price?

20. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

No, as stated in prior posts... Apple will sell it at that price on certain occasions. 1) If you just bought a new Mac, you can get it at that price, 2) Black Friday-- the day after Thanksgiving. Those are the only two times I know of for sure... like I said earlier, Amazon will often have it for $79... but plenty of people have successfully bought dotmac off of eBay for cheaper.

21. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I know amazon.com sells it for $79 shipped which could work out to be a better price because ebay sellers usually charge a lot for shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...1/102-8216600-8480153?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance

Or you could always buy a new Mac and get it for $69.

22. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i like the syncing feature, backing up to the idisk.
    having access to your adressbook via the web is great.
    i like the e-mail and i do some iweb.
    i like the integration of mail with iLife a lot.

i used it for two years and i will renew soon. but $100 is very expensive.

if i was strapped for cash this would be the first thing to go because it's convenient but not necessary.

23. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Yea, that doesn't strike me as particularly cost-effective. :)

"Honey, I got a sweet deal on .Mac; only $69!"

"What's that?"

"Oh, that's the $1,200 computer I had to buy to get the sweet deal!"

:D