Dot Matrix printer and Mac

Discussion in 'OS X' started by Halcyon, Oct 5, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

To be able to print to a dot matrix printer from my Mac I finally resorted connecting to my Epson 1070+ESC/PC through a PC (I only use it sort of as a printer server).

My Mac sees the printer and prints to it BUT THE QUALITY OF THE PRINT IS AWFULL...it seems to be just Draft quality, and the worst kind at it!

If I print directly from the PC, or if I save the invoice as PDF and then open in the PC and then print it, I get beautiful quality (as it should be). I suspect the culprit can be the drivers. When I set up the printer the Mac only offers me two drivers as an option (9-pin and 24-pin). On the PC side the printer is the appropriate one for the Epson 1070+ESC/PC. Maybe if I can get the appropriate printer driver on the Mac side things will work as they should, but I've searched everywhere to no avail.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

TIA

PD - Before anybody suggests the obvious/temporary workaround...it is NOT an option to save every invoice as pdf and then printing it from the PC side. There are way to many invoices to print at once and it takes forever to print a page.

2. macrumors G4

First a correction: Unless a printer uses a typing wheel, typing ball, old-fashioned typewriter typeheads, or a line-printer typing belt, then it it a dot-matrix printer. Laser printers, inkjet printers, high-end typesetters, and thermal label printers are all dot-matrix printers. You are thinking about an "impact printer," for which the typehead strikes a ribbon to place ink on paper.

As for the cause of your "poor quality," of course it is the driver. Epson has not supported the LQ-1070 on the Mac since 1996. I have no idea which driver you have been using in your attempts to communicate with the printer.

At any rate, CUPS support for this printer is available only through IBM's old omni project. You may also share your printer from the PC and access it through the LaserWriter print driver. This is standard practice and requires no additional software. Your Windows documentation and your Mac documentation will show you how to do this. The procedures are also posted elsewhere on this forum.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, but this is not that clear to me. ¿Are you saying I can print to the Epson 1070+ just by using the LaserWriter driver?

4. macrumors G4

No, I did not say that you can print to the Epson 1070+ "just by using the LaserWriter driver." You may use the LaserWriter print driver to communicate with your printer only after sharing it from the Windows side and setting it up as a generic PostScript printer. This is a standard feature of Windows and is documented there as well as in the MacOS X Help menu. I also told you that the procedure is posted elsewhere on this forum.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

The documentation you mention states that, when you connect from a PC using the LaserWriter driver, even though it's not a postcript printer the Mac will interpret the information and properly translate it according to the printer.

Will the PC running windows behave the same way when the print job is sent from the Mac?