dotted lines on screen after card change

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by wn3_z, Jun 18, 2002.

1. wn3_z macrumors newbie

I just upgrade my ATI rage pro to a nVidia GF2 MX. After the change, short dotted lines starts appearing all over the screen in OS X. However, it runs like a champ in OS 9.

link to the picture of the lines:
    http://www.geocities.com/wn3_z/

Please help...

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Just for S&G's, have you zapped the PRAM??? How about installed the very latest drivers?? What kind of system did you install this into?? Give the system spec's so that all can help out. How about which version of OS X are you running??? It really sounds like a crappy driver (from nVidia?? go on... :rolleyes: ) more then anything else. You could also try booting into the open firmware (apple+option+o+f on startup/boot) and type in "reset-all".

btw, why a gf2??? There are plenty of much better video cards out there, that use much newer technologies.

3. wn3_z thread starter macrumors newbie

It is an ASUS V7100 Pro SE GeForce 2 MX-400 meant for PCs but i flashed it with a mac ROM. I downloaded the nVidia 1027f ROM from Charlies' website <http://www.cybercoment.com/macgeforce.htm> and flashed it into the card with NVFLASH 4.13 flasher.

I'm system is a sawtooth G4 450 with 640MB ram and a 17" Apple Display. I'm running OS X 10.1.5 along with OS 9.2.2.

The card runs fine in OS 9, everything was cool. It's only in OS X where the dotted lines appears.

I haven't zapped my PRAM or reset open firmware. Will the methods help?

This is the first time i'm venturing into such risk cos i'm really broke but i really wanted to play medal of honor... hope you can help me AlphaTech.

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Doing what I detailed above will not harm your system. I suspect the fault lies with trying to use a peecee video card inside a Mac. Personally, I won't do that, if I want to change the card inside a Mac, I purchase the Mac version. Same with the peecee.

Not worth the pain otherwise.

5. wn3_z thread starter macrumors newbie

how do i zap PRAM? and what does that do?

reseting the open firmware means reseting it to factory setting?

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

apple+option+p+r on boot, wait for three or four chimes and release.

Just do it and stop worrying about it. You won't loose any important settings, if any at all. :rolleyes:

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

BTW, since you 'flashed' a pc version of the card to force it to run inside a Mac, I would suspect that you no longer have a warranty on it. Call up support, give them the card number, and tell them it's on a Mac and after they stop laughing, I suspect they will tell you that you are on your own.

Yet another reason to purchase the video card MADE to work with the computer type you have.

The GF2 won't give you all that much performance, at least not compared to the current cards from both ATI and nVidia. Personally, I would have waited until I could afford a better card, and the Mac version at that, then going for a dated one such as what you picked up.

ATI Rage Pro to GF2 is NOT much of an upgrade, if any at all.