Double Check Your VRAM in the new iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Artful Dodger, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi, just wanted to pass this along so no one goes through the same BS as I did since Friday from the Apple store in Buffalo, NY or any for that matter.

Long story short I've had 1 iMac wrong model, that went back. #2 was DOA and that went back. While in the Apple store the girl opened #3 and checked it before I left since I wanted the upgraded VRAM, that was labeled wrong....an hour goes by (she went through all 25 labels) and she comes out from the back room with #4 (256 VRAM). I was happy as hell but she again said lets plug it in to make sure...DOA :mad: On to #5, the last one was again VRAM 128 even though the box said VRAM 256.

Now at this point I'm not mad at her just mad that the stock they got is labeled wrong and that the manager was of no help "before" he learned of this problem. I say before since Apple made the store managers aware of this label problem and the result was, offer $50 off to whoever buys it.
    One would think that after I was there for an hour and the sales girl went through the iMac stock that the "manager" would make himself known and explain this to me...no. The only reason he showed up was after the girl asked me what I'd like and my reply was open them all until you find one. Yeah it was dumb but I had asked for the manager "3" times and I felt that was the only way to get an answer from him or from the sales girl who was very helpful and unaware of this "VRAM Label" problem until now.

So even though the local Apple store may say they have the 256 VRAM model just check before you leave...if you "paid" for it they "can" allow you to plug it in at the genius bar. Side note: the ones with the 256 VRAM should have some small blue (or whatever color the store deems) circle on the side of the box that the store puts on there so they know it's 256.

Good luck and enjoy whichever you get iMac you get :)

2. T-Stex macrumors 6502

Wow..

I wonder how many people paid extra for the 256MB and didn't get it. I don't know what I'd have done if that happened to me.

3. Artful Dodger thread starter macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

The odd part was the manager saying I'll take $50 off for you because of this :confused: So I had to reply by saying the upgrade cost $75 and your offering $50? How about a refund for the second time...Thursday night they screwed up my cc and I had to wait to get that cleared up on friday. Three trips and depending on traffic 50-60 miles round trip for me.
    I really feel bad for people that don't know or will check their VRAM and thinking down the road it's 256 when it's really 128 :eek:

4. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I just checked mine and I've got 256. I've been wondering if the Apple Stores would be getting models in with just the VRAM upgrade, did yours have anything else upgraded on it? Sorry to hear about all the problems you've been having, I hope everything gets cleared up.

5. Artful Dodger thread starter macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

At first the 256 models had just that...or that's what I was told when I called up before I drove down to get it.
    Funny thing is I left the store, sat down waiting for my gf to pull up with the car and I read on the top of the box "128 VRAM".
    Back in the store I went, they tried to charge the new one before returning the old one....had to come back next day, blah, blah...
    Next one said 256 but with BT kb/mouse, cool but DOA...in the end all the 256 units at the store were suppose to have BT kb/mouse and that little round blue sticker on them.
    However the labels were wrong so some people got BT kb/mouse but no 256 VRAM only the 128 VRAM. They would also pay $150 more for the upgrade with the kb/mouse deal.
    I'm not sure what is really the "RIGHT" package anymore so anyones guess at this point would work :rolleyes:

I'm just going to go the BTO method and bypass the store route and really at this point I'm not as mad as I was...even though the 2gigs of ram I'm staring at seem to work well in the package :p

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmmmm...ugh. :(

I wonder, isn't it also surprising that there would be so many DOA Macs at that site? That seems like a big spike in failure rate.... :(

7. Artful Dodger thread starter macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

It would seem so, they only had one 20" intel on display as the rest were the 17" iMacs (Intel). Also in the back part of the store they had three iMacs (Intel) returned when I got there but those were 17" units.

Yeah the sales girl wasn't happy as the ones she opened for me had to have a clean install or whatever they do to them before she was leaving lastnight.

8. Artful Dodger thread starter macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Just got a nice, new working iMac today, or so I thought...went to play a movie tonight, dead, the SD is now dead on me :mad:
    Dog eat dog world and I must have meat rub all over me! I can't believe this is happening as the rest of it is perfect :eek:
    The Apple tech is having me bring this back to the local Apple store in the am...the irony is that's the store that I had all the trouble with to start, so they shipped me a new one overnight :cool: only to hang head and return to the store in the am...

9. iGary Guest

iGary

China - quality is job......?

10. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

dang. i'm real sorry to hear that. that's crazy for you to be stuck with all of these problems. man, i feel for you. i know i'd be pulling my hair out if it were me. good luck, and keep up posted

11. Artful Dodger thread starter macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Update

Well after all is said and done the Apple Store has my new iMac. They are putting in a new SD as this one was bad so I should have it back by the weekend :) Other than that the rest of it is GREAT :D