Double checking . . .

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by acearchie, Apr 2, 2007.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I am currently in France but live in the UK, I was checking today how much it costs to send texts and voice calls from my phone.

I waas suprised to find that a text costs 40p but a picture message costs 20p how on earth can this work???

I simply dont understand??

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Seems more like it should be the other way round :confused:

FJ

3. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

If it's done anything like it is here in the States, it has to do with the fact that sending pictures is considered to be sending data. The markup on text messages in this country is completely absurd--something like 4000%--based on the amount of data sent with a text message compared to straight data.

Plus, I'm sure it's some kind of crazy "demand for text messages" economics voodoo driving that.

4. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

No i checked it out and the texts are 40p and the picture message doesnt even charge for the data transfer!!! This is fantastic! Im sending picture messages all the time from now on!!!!

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It might be that the two billing systems are different. The text messages get billed immediately but the data charge gets handled separately so might take longer to come through.

6. pianoman181 macrumors regular

Actually, it has to do with how SMS and MMS messages are handled and what portion of the air waves are dedicated to each. The slice of bandwidth dedicated to SMS is far too small. The MMS is actually larger than the demand. Because the demand for SMS is so high, and the amount of bandwidth available is so low, SMS messages are incredibly overpriced.

This is IIRC, naturally.

7. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Why not write your text message on a sheet of paper than take a photo and send it LOL :)

FJ

8. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Damn. . . given the thread title, I thought it was going to be a thread about OCD.

9. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Nice one :)

FJ

10. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Actually 7314%. I hate cell phone companies for that.

11. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

well even simpler I am writing my text (Unlimited characters aswell) and then just not adding a picture so I pay 20p for as many characters as I want and I can add a picture if the need arise!!!

I think I found quite a cool loop hole!

12. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Don't forget to pay attention to how much it costs to RECEIVE texts/calls when you're abroad. It cost more for me to be called or get messages when I went on a trip to Europe, so I banned my friends and family from contacting me unless absolutely necessary.

13. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

I did a test and checked online and found it costs nothing to recieve a message (picture or text) But does cost 55p per minute to recieve a call!