Double entries in address book

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rogercorke, Dec 18, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Oct 9, 2011
    I've got two sets of entries for every contact in my address book on my Mac Mini.

If I click on the groups icon, I can see that there is one group of contacts described as On My Mac and another group described as in the Icloud.

At the moment, if I want to edit or delete a contact, I have to do it twice. Is there any way I can consolidate these two groups? I did try unticking Contacts in System Preferences but that just meant that any changes to my contacts I made in the Icloud were not automatically updated to my Mac Mini, so that's not a solution.

What I need to do is merge the two together, so that I have just one set but so I don't lose any contacts - I've already discovered that there are some unique contacts on each list.

PS I've got the same contacts on my Macbook Air and I don't have the same problem there - there's just one set.
  2. macrumors 6502

Nov 28, 2007
    I've had a similar problem in the past.

Remedy was to delete the entire address book and then only run the iCloud [mobileme] version by turning it back on (in System Preferences). It will restore pretty immediately.

I found that answer using the Apple site support pages.
  3. macrumors 68030

Feb 13, 2011
    Baltimore, Maryland