Double entries in address book

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rogercorke, Dec 18, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

I've got two sets of entries for every contact in my address book on my Mac Mini.

If I click on the groups icon, I can see that there is one group of contacts described as On My Mac and another group described as in the Icloud.

At the moment, if I want to edit or delete a contact, I have to do it twice. Is there any way I can consolidate these two groups? I did try unticking Contacts in System Preferences but that just meant that any changes to my contacts I made in the Icloud were not automatically updated to my Mac Mini, so that's not a solution.

What I need to do is merge the two together, so that I have just one set but so I don't lose any contacts - I've already discovered that there are some unique contacts on each list.

roger

PS I've got the same contacts on my Macbook Air and I don't have the same problem there - there's just one set.

2. macrumors 6502

PeckhamBog

I've had a similar problem in the past.

Remedy was to delete the entire address book and then only run the iCloud [mobileme] version by turning it back on (in System Preferences). It will restore pretty immediately.

I found that answer using the Apple site support pages.

3. macrumors 68030

BrianBaughn