Double-Sex Crab Caught in Chesapeake Bay.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGary, Jun 16, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

[​IMG]

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

3. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Precisely.

They have it at a marine museum (not sure which one) right now and "he/she/it" is doing very well.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Do they normally feel each and every one up? :)

Cool story though.. I wonder if it's fertile or not. If so, would it's offspring be bilateral gynandromorph as well? Could we be defeating darwinism here?

5. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Males and females are instantly recognizable by their claw color, shell color, and size. ;)

6. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Well, as the article said, they seperate the males and females to sell seperately. So, yes.

7. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Females are usually sold to picking houses for canned or packed crabmeat; males usually are sold to reataurants and seafood outlets.

The males are much tastier and larger than the females.

Males are called "Jimmies" and sorted in sizes "1,2 or 3." females are normally sold as females and called "sooks."

More Chesapeake Bay trivia than you asked for. :D

8. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Don't matter, tastes the same with a little butter.

Seriously though, I wonder what would cause such an odd mutation. One half of the body has different DNA then the other side? How does that happen?

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Ever notice some job applications have, Male, Female, and Other as options?

I guess we finally know what the "Other" is for ;)

10. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

It is like our species. Birth defects. You know some humans are born with female and male parts too you know. What causes that mutation?

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Seeing the picture of the he/she crab above is certainly a thing of beauty to behold. I was actually skeptical of the coloring till I saw the picture. Hopefully the crab will have a long and healthy life.

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Truly odd - I'm not a big fan of crabs, I've had my share, though. I'm just not into the mallet whacking, shell cracking mess. I'd prefer crab cakes :D

But considering that there hasn't been one seen in 25 years says a lot - but I'm wondering if it can reproduce? There was no mention of that in the story.

D

13. emw macrumors G4

emw

Not something I'd think you'd want to brag about...

:eek: ;)

14. Dros macrumors 6502

This sort of thing happens when one of the sex chromosomes gets lost in the first division of the egg into two cells. If the original fertilized embryo was meant to be a female and had 2 X chromosomes (crabs may have an odd system for sex chromosomes, but the theory would be the same), and one cell ended up with 2 Xs and the other cell lost 1 and had only 1 X, then all the cells on one side would continue to have 2 and the other side just 1. There have been lobsters found like this as well.

Chromosomes do get lost infrequently. You may have some cells in your body like this. If it happens late, then only a few cells will be like this and you would never notice. And since there are trillions of cells in your body, having it happen in the first division is rare.

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Old Bay rocks

16. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Not true, this is almost nothing to do with that, its symmetric, show me a picture where 1/2 of a human is male, and the other 1/2 is female.

Having both parts is nothing like being 1/2 male and 1/2 female.

17. emw macrumors G4

emw

I love Google!

[​IMG]

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Hey! I was told that picture of me was to be taken in strict confidence! They lied to me!! :mad: :mad:

19. emw macrumors G4

emw

Nice legs, though. :D

20. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

21. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

You mean leg. I wouldn't bet very much on the other one matching up. :D

22. pooky macrumors 6502

Actually, many crustaceans have environmental sex determination, not chromosomal like mammals and birds. For these animals, chromosomes have nothing to do with their sex, instead the environment during a critical phase of development is instead important. Examples of this are crocodilians, where if the eggs are at one temperature, they'll all be male, but raise the temp by a few degrees, and they'll be female. Some species (i.e. clownfish - like Nemo from Finding Nemo) change sex during their life as their social position changes - they are male at birth, and as they get larger and more dominant, they eventually switch to female.

For this crab, perhaps one side of the body was exposed to a condition or trigger or chemical that caused it to have a different sex than the other half. A mutation that screws up the mechanism of sex determination could also do it.

23. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Never the less, the symmetry is odd, and all the things you talked about would be very hard to expose only 1/2 of something to.

24. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

So if this one were being too "crabby" you coud tell it "Go...spawn...yourself" and it could reply "Okee dokee" ?

Weird.

25. evilernie macrumors 6502

evilernie

Yum

This thread was making me hungry until I saw that dude's picture. :D